What's new

Is "Must See TV" Dead? (1 Viewer)

JerryLA

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know about you folks but it seems that the NBC Thursday lineup is doomed. I'm burnt out on Friends, Scrubs is mediocre at best, and I'm not sure if ER can survive. Seems like NBC has lost it's knack for creating top notch shows. What do you think the problem is that a network that has been the tops on Thursday night for the last ten years can't come up with "one" new interesting show. For my money, put Third Watch on Thursdays... at least it has some interesting characters and plot lines. As for Will & Grace... give me a break... they did all they could do the first season.
But.... that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.
Jerry

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
"Must See TV" ended when Seinfeld did, as far as I'm concerned. I'll watch Friends but it's not as though I look forward to it each week and have to see it.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, the only "Must see" TV for me these days is on HBO.
I still watch "Friends" (tape it, since I prefer to see "Survivor" live), but if I miss it it's no big deal.
I like "Will and Grace" a lot, but if the horrible storyline with the baby (see separate thread about that :)) continues I don't know if zi can stomach it much lonbger... plus the rest of the writing isn't as good as it used to be.
The 7:30/8:30 show never caught my attention, and I've never seen "Scrubs", or "ER" for that matter.
Since "Just shoot me" moves back to Tuesdays this year, yes I'd say "Must See TV" is definitely dead.
/Mike

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'm still there! Can't stand Survivor and nothing else really interests me on the other nets.
Friends - Likely the last season, and it was actually good last season. Hopefully they'll go out with another good year.
Scrubs - Hate it. Will probably hang at HTF for a half-hour or channel surf (or put in a Simpsons DVD episode) :) .
Will & Grace - Still one of my fave sitcoms, though last year was a bit painful. The baby plotline will be dropped fairly quickly (see other thread).
Good Morning Miami - Willing to give it a shot.
ER - Probably in bed at this time, so it doesn't really matter.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Both my wife and I consider The Sopranos to be must see. Not on here currently, but I would put The Royle Family to be must see. The same for The Leauge of Gentlemen to also be in this category.

There are a number of other shows that are close.

JerryLA

Stunt Coordinator
Glad to see I'm not the only one who noticed NBC is dying a slow death. I agree, Sunday night on HBO is certainly as close as we get to Must See TV.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
Actually the season finale of ER last season was really good. Its been a long time since I've actually wanted to see the premiere. And with Friends ending after this season I think it'll be a good one. But it definately has not been as good as years ago were.

BrandonM

Stunt Coordinator
To me, an obituary for the Must-See TV lineup is a little premature :).
I'm really looking forward to Friends this year, being that this is the show's final year (so they say). I just hope they don't try and go through the year with a Raechel/Joey relationship.
I absolutely love Scrubs and I'm glad they gave it such a high profile timespot. The show was easily the best new comedy last year and it's good to see NBC reward them (or jinx them depending on who you talk to :)).
I don't watch Will & Grace regularly, but it seems to be a decent show from what I've seen of it.
The new show, Good Morning Miami, does not appeal to me at all. It just seems like another of NBC's typical 8:30/9:30 filler shows they throw in there.
ER is still going pretty strong, but it is not nearly as good as when it was in its prime. They've lost all of their original doctors (except Dr. Carter and Dr. Lewis), but I do like some of the newer characters (Abby especially). I'm also really looking forward to Don Cheadle's guest run this year.
Overall, I'm still quite happy with NBC's Thursday lineup, but in the next few years they are going to run into some trouble when Friends and ER leave the air because they have failed to develop any quality shows to replace them (excluding Scrubs).

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
I hardly watch NBC at ALL. I might tune in to their local news broadcasts, or an occasional Judge Judy show. I used to stick through Peoples Court, untill that Horrid Judge Judy wanna be Judge got involved.
I'd also occasionally tune into Sally for some laughs, but even that show is cancelled.
The last NBC Series I watched regularly was Quantum Leap. :)

Steven L

Stunt Coordinator
I agree that ER still has some legs. I know many think that the exit of Anthony Edwards spells the end of the show, but I thought the season ender last season was a strong episode, although admittedly that was only the first episode after his departure. I have high hopes for the series, and that the writing will continue at a high level and that one or more characters will develop to ably fill in for Dr. Greene.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Didn't they once have Seinfeld, Mad About You, Friends, and Frasier on all at once? Or at least 3 out of the 4? Plus ER?

That would have been the last time it was 'must see'.

The 2-hour comedy block has not been truly strong since Seinfeld left...it was weakened by Mad About You departing, but that show 'jumped' when the baby came.

Greg Haynes

Supporting Actor
Only watching Friends & ER this year, but I don't feel that these would be considered Must-See TV. The only show that's Must-See now would be The Sopranos!!!! HBO is the leader in my book.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks