What's new

Is most of today's music just plain bad? (1 Viewer)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
hey geno -
nice summation of the group. i also dig those groups although i haven't listened to some of them in a long time. i'll have to revisit my collection.
btw - you said:
If I was stranded on a deserted island somewhere, I would want these 4 CD's.
now we know there's blood, filigree & shadow and it'll end in tears. is there a fourth one? i thought there were only three?
------------------
"The ship of death has a new captain." - nosferatu (1922)

Geno

Supporting Actor
Ted,
Included in the box set is a CD of the original songs that the band covers. Its great to see how the band translates these songs that are already great into beautiful ambiant rythms and melodies.
Although I dont think much can compare, I also listen to Sugarcubes, Bjork, Golden Palominos, Mazzy Star....
I agree with the concencus of this forum about corporate music being utter crap. I have been brainwashed into liking the Grateful Dead and live progressive music. For all those that need a new music style, or just new music to listen to, I believe that high quality bootlegs are the bomb. You can feel like you are part of the crowd, hear the cheers, even that drunk dude in the back that always sings out of key. Although nothing can compare to being at a live show, it is great to close your eyes and at least think you are there.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
very cool geno.
do you have this 4th cd? do you know where i could get my hands on one? i tried to search, but couldn't locate anything...even on the 4ad site.
i must have this cd!
biggrin.gif

------------------

Geno

Supporting Actor
Ted you are lucky, go to ebay and type in THIS MORTAL COIL
someone is selling the box set. Its good enough to have copies of too!

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
what a crack-up!
biggrin.gif
i'm placing my bid now! not sure how high i wanna go for the one cd, but i'm thinking it might be up there...
thanks geno!
------------------

Geno

Supporting Actor
Im glad I could help, anything to promote the listening of good music. Im surprised I havent seen Peter Gabriel mentioned in this post yet. He is a definite must see concert on my list. His music has always defied conventional standards and he creates his own.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
okay geno...now you're just spookin' me.
i was just thinking about where to pick up peter gabriel's new cd "ovo"!!!
i went to a couple of best-buys and they were out. i'm gonna have to check tower, etc. i did see an import version at borders, but they wanted like 30 bucks for it.
------------------

Geno

Supporting Actor
Uh..... Check ebay? ha ha well I was just at PG's web site listening to it and the millenium show is a must get too! I hadnt even known that cd was out till I checked today. Well good luck hunting.

LawrenceK

Stunt Coordinator
Surprising how few people have mentioned Radiohead in this discussion, so I guess I will just say, give them a chance, definitely not everyone's thing....but god damn their music blows me away. Amnesiac, though not quite as good as OK Computer (Top 3 Album of the 90s) or Kid A, has one of the very best Radiohead songs ever: Pyramid Song. On the 13th of November they are also releasing a live cd from their recent tour...Radiohead is putting out the best music right now. Period.

Glenn_Jn

Stunt Coordinator
Back in "the good old days" 82-85 I was always eager to get the new albums by all the great artists who were around then (see list below). But since the end of the 80's I have found very few albums to get excited about. In fact the only one I can think of is Coldplay's "Parachutes" CD. Not that there haven't been some good songs released in the last 15 years or so. I have heard some of the new artists listed on this thread but they haven't done much for me, certainly not enough to buy the cd's. I guess it's all a matter of taste.

my 80's faves were (are)..Aztec Camera, Art Of Noise, Big Country, Blancmange, China Crisis, The Church, Cocteau Twins, Lloyd Cole, The Cure, Dead Or Alive, Depeche Mode, Durutti Column, Echo & The Bunnymen, Everything But The Girl, The Fixx, F.G.T.H, Heaven 17, Icehouse, Kane Gang, Level 42, Lotus Eaters, Modern English, New Order, OMD, Pale Fountains, Prefab Sprout, Propaganda, Psychedelic Furs, REM, Scritti Politti, Simple Minds, Sioxsie & The Banshees, The Smiths, Style Council, Swansway, Talk Talk, Tears For Fears, This Mortal Coil, U2, UB40, Ultravox, Wild Swans, Working Week, Xymox, Yello.

mike_decock

Supporting Actor
Unlike most people, I listen to more pop music today than I did in the 80's. I spent the 80's - 90's listening to mostly 70's prog rock among some other stuff.

Here's some of today's pop artists I like:

Shania Twain

Dixie Chicks

Ben Folds

Britney Spears

Christina Aguilera

Coldplay

Fiona Apple

Michelle Branch

No Doubt

The Flaming Lips

Every decade (60's, 70's, 80's, 90's) is mostly overwhelmed with garbage playing on the radio. These days I can't stand rap, hip-hop or r&b... It just drives me nuts in 10 seconds flat.

-Mike...

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
Wow, I forgot all about this thread. I still haven't gotten burned out on any of the artists I listed almost a year ago.:emoji_thumbsup:
After this past summer, I'm not sure it's enough to just look for new music. You have to involve yourself in it, too. A friend of mine suggested that I fill one of the programming slots available at the community radio station, whose sole criterion was that you fulfill a need not currently addressed by other local stations, something that wasn't too difficult due to the stranglehold Clear Channel has on Cincinnati. Being a fan of The Tragically Hip, The Watchmen, and Treble Charger, I decided to focus on Canadian artists exclusively (which was the subject of a previous thread).
Going in, I thought I had more than enough material to cover 13 weeks of programming. I wasn't even close. Thanks to the HTF membership and a ton of research, my CD collection has grown substantially over the last six months. (Well, okay...props to the US-Canada exchange rate as well. :D)
The point is...if your community radio station is anything like the one here, get involved, even if you don't have time to do anything but listen. Signal strength and D.J. talent may be a bit grating at first, but everyone else knows about music you don't, and it's worth the investment.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i strongly recommend everyone check out the following website:
Link Removed
it is absolutely one of the best out there for new adult/alternative/eclectic stuff.
well known artists include: aimee mann, peter gabriel, radiohead, conjure one, dave matthews band, sting, alanis morisette, tori amos, beck, the church, morcheeba, hooverphonic, suzanne vega, tom petty, u2, joan osborne, etc.
however, i especially dig it because most of the music i didn't list is from bands or artists that i've never heard before...but i always enjoy the selections. i've written down the artists, downloaded their stuff to check it out and ended up buying their cd's.
i listen to it all day at work and i'm never disappointed.

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
Frank_S, you present such an interesting, completely new argument that I've never heard before ... could you please elaborate?

Oops, I forgot ... don't feed the trolls.

mike_decock

Supporting Actor
Frank_S, you present such an interesting, completely new argument that I've never heard before ... could you please elaborate?
I kind of see what he's getting at. It's a memorability thing but I don't think "remember the words" is all there is to it. There's got to be a melody, too, which rap, for the most part, doesn't have.

I'm a die-hard Yes fan (the old stuff) and I'd be hard put to tell you more than 1 or 2 lines from any album. It's not like they made any sense, anyway...

-Mike...

Wilson W

Agent
glad to see there are still people getting excited about "this mortal coil"

the box set is a very good collection, and covers almost all their works except a few songs that are found on vinyls only.

aside from "lonely is an eyesore", my favorite 4AD compilation is "all virgos are mad"

and what do you all think about "the hope blister", which is essentially a more recent version of "this mortal coil".

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
wilson -
i'm a huge this mortal coil fan! but i didn't know anything about the hope blister.
i was able to find a used copy of Smiles, OK for 4 bucks on amazon. i figured what the heck...it'll be in my grubby hands within a week. :D
it looks like they have one other album called underarm? if i like this one i'll have to check it out too.
thx!

JasonD

Agent
I think it was Moby who said that in years to come we'll all look back during this banal period of music which was based on the tastes of young teenage girls and wrestling fans. I guess one could be offended by that comment but in my opinion I think it's close to the truth.

I remember working in a music store back in the early 90s and watch how people shifted from hairbands to Nirvana and Nine Inch Nails. (NIN's Pretty Hate Machine came out in 91?)No longer was top 40 heavy music played by guys with long hair.

As a big Verve fan going back to 93, I was really surprised to see them gain brief popularity in the States. In a strange way I am glad they broke up or they could of ended up like Oasis who already had their highpoint some time ago.

Someone mentioned Radiohead and I agree, their sound is something to consider if you want something different and not sterile. I think top 40 mainstream is mostly small 3-4 minute jingles compared to some of the bands we all like that aren't popular because their sound isn't so limiting.

Wilson W

Agent
ted,

the hope blister is in the same vein as this mortal coil, and is comprised of the current 4AD line-up.

a little OT - I must say that 4AD is no longer the way it was in the 80s. while the 80s is not particularly know for its music, it was a time when several smaller but prestige labels emerged onto the industry.

it was also a time when the label really matters. labels like 4AD, beggars banquet, virgin (it was small then) had some really talented bands with an uncompromising view of music.

but now they are all scattered around. and I feel that 4AD had stopped evolving a long time ago, which is a very sad thing.

enough ranting, and enjoy your music

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks