What's new

Is Lord of the Rings (animated) a good movie? (1 Viewer)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Some VERY good examples of rotoscoping:
Some early "Betty Boop" cartoons like Snow White, Minnie The Moocher (Cab Calloway was rotoscoped as a walrus! Trippy!)...
"Bacall To Arms" (Warner Bros. cartoon) the entire Bogart/Bacall scene was rotoscoped from To Have and Have Not.
Rotoscoping is also used for special effects like...
Superman (Wires were erased by overlays of animation)
Return of the Jedi (The Emperor's slugs...a very bad example, actually.)
------------------
P.S.: There's no P.S.

James D S

Screenwriter
One of the big corner cuts that Bakshi employed on LOTR was to xerox live action frames and colour them in and use them as animation. Most noticeable with the orcs and the Prancing pony patrons.
Are you sure that was to cut corners? It seems like it was done for effect. And I would have to say it worked, the Orcs and the Wraiths especially, came off very ominous for the effect.
I enjoyed the effort Bakshi made. I enjoy his different style and I thought LOTR delivered a uniqueness in animation that is deserved of something so unique in storytelling.
As for the limitations in the film's story... What do you expect? How many film adaptions really convey all that is said in the book. Considering the breadth of JRRT's work in LOTR, Bakshi did an excellant job given the constraints of the medium. As a JRRT fan, I enjoy Bakshi's attempt. It could have been a LOT worse...

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I saw a trailer yesterday for Richard Linklater's (Slackers, Dazed & Confused) upcoming animated film Waking Life. If you see this trailer you will see rotoscoping in action. Looks like a cool flick.
------------------
Too many DVDs, too little time...
AFI 100 Challenge - 36 to go!

Geoffrey_A

Second Unit
the limitations in the film's story... What do you expect? How many film adaptions really convey all that is said in the book.
I just said that the movie conveyed the story in a limited way. It wasn't meant as a slag. I just wanted those who haven't seen the film to be aware that it's a very condensed version.
------------------
Geoff
Now with Kung-Fu grip and realistic facial hair!

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter
laugh.gif
Rob, that's a great link! I've never been a big fan of this version either...
I'm overly confident PJ will make his movies worth the wait! :)
------------------
~ Stud. Polyt. ~ Artur Meinild ~

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks