What's new

Is Keanu Reeves really that bad of an actor? (1 Viewer)

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
Neo, as written, seems to be a very intuitive character. Meaning, a lot of what goes on is internal, nonspoken, and unreadable even to the other characters. I think Reeves captures this perfectly. I always get the idea that Neo is thinking, considering, and making connections.

It would be easy to say that anyone could play blank well. But I don't think it's blank. It's potraying a very inward person, and doing so without histrionics. Neo DOES show emotions and expression, but it's simply not as much as many others.

Having said that, I also concur that Reeves' range is limited. I also agree that he has, for the most part, done a good job in picking roles that compliment his abilitie and strengths. I loved him in A Walk to Remember and The Replacements (a guilty pleasure of mine).

I remember reading that Reeves was lobbying to get the role of Aragorn in LotR; while I applauded his choice of material, I also applauded PJ's casting of Mortensen (which I know was last minute). Aragorn needs to have more outward presence that Reeves has, and also Reeves simply looks to young for the role.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I've been defending Reeves all along but definitely agree that he would not have been able to portray Aragorn in LOTR. Conversely, I can't see Vigo Mortensen as Neo.

On one of the special features discs for LOTR EE, it's mentionned that Vigo Mortensen was brought on at the last minute because they'd originally cast too young an actor for the part.

I've always wondered who that "too young actor" was. Wasn't Keanu busy on Matrix sequel(s) at the time?

Benjamin_L

Stunt Coordinator
Funny discussion here. Kinda interesting too, since I feel like leaving the room whenever a Reeves' film is on with the exception of the Matrix(the 2nd more than the first, I know that puts me in some hot water! ;) ) I must admit he was suprisingly good in The Gift, also.

However I'm suprised no one's mentioned the one shining gem in Reeves' resume: Johnny Mnemonic. It was directed by Robert Longo. I don't think Bob's done much else. I saw the movie the first week it was out in 1995. Along with the more interesting yet harder to stomach Strange Days, it was one of those cyberpunk/near future popcorn flicks emulating the vastly superior bladerunner and sci-fi novels.

If you were feeling kind you could attribute some of Reeves' performance to inferior directing. But really, he was absolutely terrible. At the age of 15 I was convinced of this. Watch for the scene in the first ten minutes as he flails about his apartment yelling at his "agent" on a video screen with all the energy of a convenience store cashier telling you to have a nice day.

That being said, I thought Keanu Reeves does a pretty good job in the Matrix Reloaded. Though to be honest I don't think he'd look even half as imposing, unknowable or mysterious without those killer sunglasses. Ever noticed in just about all his scenes where Neo isn't jacked into to the matrix, he looks lost? Hey, maybe the Wachowski bros. wanted it that way.;)

Hope the 3rd film rocks. :D

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Thanks Matthew.

Saw Townsend in Queen of the Damned and didn't like him in that (the whole movie was pretty awful, though). Definitely wrong for Aragorn.

On reflection I find that I tend to like movies that Keanu Reeves is in, but not necessarily because he's in them if that makes any sense.

Usually a film he's in will be well made and entertaining.
I think he may be more capable than given credit for but really does better performances in smaller roles as in The Gift, though Giovanni Ribisi was much more interesting in that film.

I also tend to think, based on his performance in Iron Giant, that Vin Diesel can act, but like Keanu is being turned into a Movie Star.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks