What's new

Is Jane Campion's career over? (1 Viewer)

Jacob_St

Second Unit
Portrait of A Lady was a flop and Holy Smoke went direct to video. I hope this doesn't mean she's on Hollywood's black list. I've seen three of her films and have liked them all! The Piano, Portrait of a Lady , and Holy Smoke. Portrait is perfect except for the first minute or two where women talk about the wonders of being kissed (vomit!) I hope to see more from her.

AdrianJ

Supporting Actor
I'd like to point out that Holy Smoke didn't go direct to video. It open in limited release on December 5, 1999 and ran through April 2000. It grossed $1.8 million. I don't know what the budget of the film was though, so it's hard to judge whether it was a huge flop or not.
Portrait of a Lady made $3.7 million. Does anyone know what the budget for the film was?
Just because these are small numbers doesn't always mean that they are bad. It's all dependant on how much the movie cost to make.
------------------
photo11.jpg

Adrian Jones

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Jane Campion is my favorite director, but I am not at all surprised that her films have not been going over big at the theaters. She just doesn't make the kind of films that a lot of people want to see.
I don't think her career is near it's end though. Campion is very popular in the independent scene and as long as she doesn't want to make big budget epics, I don't see her having too much problems getting her films made.

DonaldB

Supporting Actor
I'm very disappointed with the commercial nature of her most recent endeavors, and would very much like to see her return to the more personal approach to filmmaking evident in her short films and early features like An Angel at My Table.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks