What's new

Is it worth it? (1 Viewer)

jacob w k

Stunt Coordinator
I am on a limited budget and am thinking of going from my current stereo system to a dolby digital receiver. I do not have tons of money and want to make sure that the diferrence between the stereo and 5.1 is large. Any comments would be helpful.
Thanks

george king

Supporting Actor
There is no comparison. 5.1 is much more enveloping and "realistic" for movies (however, when it comes to music, call me an old f**t, but I much prefer 2 channel).

There are lots of reasonable, receivers and even HTIB setups for getting into DD and DTS.

Hope this helps.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
2 channel for music, 5.1 for movies. Is it worth it? I think you already know the answer to that:)
Peace Out~:D

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
It's enlightening to see some one that has not experience 5.1 yet. I remember when I first heard it, it's as if it was yesterday. Definetly go into 5.1 and it can be done inexpensively. I've set up several HTIBs in my time for friends and family and I was impressed by some of the HTIBs. You can't go wrong great movies with great sounds out their, and you'll impress your friends and family.

Sitting through a movie with 5.1 (action, sci-fi and even dramas) gives you a whole different perspective in reference to the entertaining aspect of the movie. Once you step into 5.1 you may very well find yourself going to Movie theaters looking to see what sound format that theater is using. Definetly worth it, get in to it, and have fun.

Mike Matheson

Second Unit
jacob,

For movies/HT I'd say it's definitely worth it. If you primarily listen to music (2 chn stuff) then maybe not.

Consider though that you'll probably be looking at not only the cost of the receiver but also additional speakers and possibly a sub. . .

jacob w k

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the help, I got the receiver and i have 4 speakers but was wondering if I could use speakers that have an impediance of 6 with a receiver that uses 8. Also I saw a cheap center channel speaker for 30$ Canadian but it is only 40 Watts, would this be enough?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks