What's new

Is it time for HD yet? (1 Viewer)

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
At this time, the content available is not worth the $400 minimum investment it would take. It would be nice to see Discovery Channel in HD, but I don't watch it enough to make it worth the money.

Most of the time, if given a choice between watching "TV" or a good DVD, I'll take the DVD!
This is a matter of personal opinion, but I certainly disagree.

$400.00 for High Definition is an absolute bargain.

For $400.00 you can buy about 20 standard definition DVD's. With that same $400.00 you could have a High Def tuner which would enable viewing gorgeous HD material, including shows like CSI, The Guardian etc. Also, there is now a ESPN HD channel, HDNet, HDNet Movies, Discovery HD, and if you subscribe to Showtime or HBO, you get their High Def movie channels for no extra cost.

Now, I agree that overall I may prefer watching a movie on DVD over watching "most" TV shows that are in High Def (except CSI which I love), but I think $400.00 spent on a High Def receiver is money very well spent!

Michael Silla

Second Unit
but I think $400.00 spent on a High Def receiver is money very well spent!
Agreed. I hate to say it but HD-DVD can't come soon enough. Shows like CSI and pretty much all the content available on Discovery HD make the investment well worth it. Heck, this past week alone I have watched two concerts which looked absolutely STUNNING in HD: James Taylor & Heart on HDnet.

I have not yet seen a DVD which made concert viewing look as good.

Just my humble opinion :D

Michael.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
While I would be the first to say the typical HDNet or Discovery HD program blows away dvd for pq, I don't feel the same about movies from HBO, Showtime, or (so far) HDNEt Movies. Film based stuff in 480p from a good progressive scan player looks very close to what I see when watching the same movie on HBOHD or ShowtimeHD.

I did catch Deathtrap on HDNet Movies last night and it definitely looked very noticeably better than the dvd, but some of the other movies on that channel don't live up to that high standard.

dan fritzen

Second Unit
FYI, according to an Article on NY Times and posted on AVS Fox will be HD by Fall of 2004!

Tha may change your answer if you are ready for HD, two HD footbal channels will be sweet!

Jeremy Tebo

Stunt Coordinator
Well that didn't take long. I just caved in and ordered my first directv setup, the Samsung TS160. I got quite a deal from expertsatellite.com only $500 for the reciever and dish with installation. I'm really excited to get it set up, I will soon be watching bugs in HD. Buahahahaha... (cough, cough)... hahahaha....

KevinJ

Supporting Actor
if you think heart and james taylor look good in HD try watching the allison krauss and union station concert on pbs now that's what a concert should look like imho

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks