What's new

Is it safe to hook the subwoofer up to a main speaker terminal? (1 Viewer)

Grip
Real Name
Jonathan
My amp Yamaha RX-V620 takes a powered sub only, and the sub I got with my Toshiba speaker system is not powered, so I hooked it up to one of the four main speaker terminals. I'm getting more bass, but the sub is also playing a majority of the audio. Is this safe or did I just speed up death of my new subwoofer?

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
You really didn't have to start two more new threads relating to your sub issue ...

Anyway, I see that your speaker system is basically the typical junky speakers from a HTiB system. I'd return them, if I were you, and get a proper system, if you are really tight on budget get something like the Energy Take 5 classic for a bit less than $400 or Klipsch HD300 for ~$300. If you have even less than that, there are some speaker packages from Yamaha that are probably OK. All of these should give better results than the Toshiba set.

The current system -- the sub really doesn't qualify as a sub, 7" driver claimed response only down to 40 hz, it's really a "woofer" not a "subwoofer". Plus it's rated 4 ohm impedance, running it on your mains may draw too much current and shutdown your receiver at higher volumes. And no crossover to keep the high frequencies out ... if you had another amp you could run it off your subwoofer out, but it's really not worth the effort for these speakers.

Grip
Real Name
Jonathan
Well, I have too seperate questions relating to the sub and I thought maybe if I used two seperate threads I would get more of a response.

My amp's impendance can be set to either 4ohm or 8ohm. It's set to 4 right now, if that makes the issue better.

Trust me, lol, this system s only temperary while I save for a better than amazing speaker system. I only paid $80 for this system on eBay. Just something to give me some good sound for a short time while I save.

So, for my amp which is a Yamaha RX-V620, what are some good speakers I could buy for a price somewhere between $800-$1000? Of course, I'll probably try to find them online somewhere used, but in great working condition.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks