What's new

Is it safe? - A Clerks animated reference question (1 Viewer)

Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Supporting Actor
Hello

A very short and probably stupid question

A friend of mine is kind of bugging me with this line. I've got him to admit it is a Clerks animated thing, but nothing more. What kind of response could he possible be hoping for?

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
"Is it safe?" is the question that Dr. Szell (Laurence Olivier) repeatedly asks Babe Levy (Dustin Hoffman) while performing dental torture on him in Marathon Man. If it was mentioned in Clerks, it was a reference to this scene.
Brad

Allan Petersen

Stunt Coordinator
Creepy scene (in Marathon Man).

It's been used in quite a few movies over the years. Off the top of my head I can recall Hot Shots and Gremlins 2 as having direct references.

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
LOTR:Fellowship postdates Clerks, but the one early preview there was back then showed Gandalf popping out of the shadows, wild-eyed, asking "Is it secret?! Is it safe?!"

But I think it was a Marathon Man ref.. that's a great movie. My favorite scene is the shot of the sinister Asian guy playing pinball while staring across the street.

Agee Bassett

Supporting Actor

"Is it safe?"

An appropriate response, per Dustin Hoffman, would be "Yes, it's safe, it's very safe, it's so safe you wouldn't believe it."

Allan Petersen

Stunt Coordinator
Josh, I think you may be right about the LotR reference. Although I loved the movie (and the EE) I never made that connection, myself.

Silly me, I guess.

Mark R O

Stunt Coordinator
ding!ding!ding! Bonus Round.
For 50 HTF points, What's in the bottle Sir Ollie his holding?

Dave Simpson

Second Unit
Per Goldman's book (to which I thrilled more than 25 years ago; ouch!! :b ), the elixir offered by Szell in his left hand is Oil of Cloves, to offset the pain inflicted by the dental implement in his right. "Is it safe?", indeed!! Cheers, gang!

DS.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks