Is it possible to rent a receiver?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Grant, Jun 24, 2003.

1. Grant

Grant Agent

Due to incompetence at all levels of the Yamaha organization (and their service centers), I am without my RX-V1 receiver until August. I'm going to describe the whole ugly ordeal in a separate thread if it ever ends, but to sum up, it's already been 3 months without my receiver (and hence, my home theater) and I'm sick of it. I've thought about just buying a new receiver and then selling one of them when I get the RX-V1 back, but I'm not too keen on spending another couple of thousand on a high end receiver.

So, is it possible to rent a home theater receiver from anywhere? This would be for a couple of months until I got mine back. Preferably one comparable in power and features to the one I own.

Thanks for your suggestions.

2. Ritchie T

Ritchie T Agent

buy one from Circuit City, before 30 days runs up, return it for your money back. If you got more than 1 month, do it again...and while your at it, you can try out all kinds of new recievers. You might spend a lot more than you would want by going to those "rent-some-furniture" stores....

thats my advice

3. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

While that would certainly work, it does smack of opportunism at best and speaks poorly of one's moral character. Renting, if it's possible is bound to be somewhat costly. I'd recommend simply purchasing a modest factory reconditioned unit or waiting for the 4th of July sales. You can always sell it, even here on HTF or ebay, or perhaps decide to keep it as a spare possibly in another room.
    Look, some day you're going to have kids, maybe even a daughter. You want to hear that the neighborhood boys been trying your daughter out for 30 days?

4. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer
    Supporter

Did you purchase your Yamaha through a local dealer or online? If it was from a local dealer, they may provide you with a loaner, considering all your troubles. The local dealer where I purchased my Pioneer Elite 47TX receiver provides a free loaner for any equipment being repaired under warranty. It may not be the same manufacturer/model, but at least it's something to use until the repair is completed.

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

So, do you advise people in the intricacies of fraud often?

Grant, obviously we cannot condone the above-quoted "advice."

6. Mark Hedges

Mark Hedges Second Unit

Yes I feel that is very dishonest.

I hate to suggest it, but the only place I can think of would be Rent-A-Center. They are a bunch of sleazy ripoff bastards their but if you really intend to only keep it for a month or two they probably won't take you for too much money.

The other option would be to buy one and then sell it later. This might work better than you think. People on ebay are infamous for not shopping around - you can often buy new stuff cheaper than ebayers pay for used!

Mark

7. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer
    Supporter

Carl III
    I would buy an ultra cheap open box pro logic receiver from Best Buy or Circuit City, one could probably be had for no more than $50. You can never have too much hardware, once your primary receiver is back maybe you could use the cheapo unit in a different room.

8. Chuck Bogie

Chuck Bogie Second Unit

When the good one is back: Take the cheapo, set all the speaker sizes to "large," and use it to run bass shakers.

9. kevitra

kevitra Second Unit

Purchase a currently 'hot' model, say the Elite 45TX. You can get them autorized for $800. In 2 months you can probably sell it for $650-700 on Ebay. I just checked and unauthorized 'new' units are going for $750.

I purchased a Denon 3802 from an authorized dealer late last year for $700 (when 6th ave had the great 'sale'). I sold it a few months ago for $600 on ebay. Since I purchased it from an authorized dealer and included the receipt, I got more for it than refurbs were going for.

Buying/returning is sleezy, but comparing it to trying out your daughter..please!

10. Ritchie T

Ritchie T Agent

To the people that think my advice is dishonest, I would some how agree also, but it sounded like he was in desperate need, which would lead to desperate measures. I personally never tried to 30 day money back route, but everytime I step into a Circuit City, that huge sign behind the counter (this is from the website):

Returns and Refunds for Online Purchases

We want to make sure you're completely satisfied with anything you buy from us. "Try it out for 30 days." If something's not right or you've simply changed your mind, please return it within that time so we can either exchange it or give you your money back. Since computer technology changes so quickly, we can only offer a 14-day tryout on PCs and related merchandise. For a full refund of a Product, we'll need you to return the box and packaging too.

So I dont see any way this can be a "fraud." So take my post how you want it, but if a store is going to advertise a sign like that, then they're bringing it upon themselves...

11. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

I think the sign is there because an assumption is made that you will, in good faith, seriously consider purchasing the device if it meets whatever criteria. I doubt it was intended to also serve as a way to get one over some sort of a hump.

12. Ritchie T

Ritchie T Agent

I agree Chu. I though, would not agree that the advice I mentioned would be a fraud. It may seem scummy, but I see nothing on paper that may call it illegal.

I will admit, that I failed to mention in my post that Grant may indeed find a new reciever that he may chose to keep after trying it out. But my advice can go both ways, either he wants to do it the scummy way, or try out new recievers and eventually find one that he wants to keep by trying them out(just like what CC's ad states).

Hope I explained this well enough in a short post.

13. RobWil

RobWil Supporting Actor

There's a Yamaha DSP-A3090 on ebay right now that's got a reserve of around $300 and a current bid of $150 w/ only 1 day left. Not quite as powerful as the one you own but it has DD and was similarly high end. There's another DSP-A3090 for $399 'Buy it Now'. You'd prolly spend that much on a rental.

14. chun howe

chun howe Stunt Coordinator

i just want to add a suggestion not mention before.

you might want to ask your friend to lend you one (this case is only valid when your friend has more than one receiver and don't mind doing a favor). when everything is back where it's suppose to be, you could return it and treat your friend a meal or something [​IMG]

15. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

So why offer this as a "solution"? Give it rest, Ritchie; fraud is fraud no matter what the intentions of the perpetrator are.

16. Vincent_S

Vincent_S Second Unit

I vote for buying one on Ebay from a reputable seller. I have seen some pretty good deals on there. Just my .02[​IMG]

17. RobWil

RobWil Supporting Actor

Vincent must have one of those Yamaha's I mentioned for sale on ebay [​IMG]

18. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

Wait a second... I just wanna know, did someone say I can
    try out thier daughter? Can I return her in 30 days too?
    If so... Email me! [​IMG]