What's new

Is it possible to prove that we all see the same colo(u)rs? (1 Viewer)

Bill Buklis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Buklis
I've actually thought about this before but could never really come up with a satisfactory answer. I think it's more likely than not that we tend to see the same color wavelength with the same perception since we're of the same species and our eyes have the same design. Different species on the other hand, ... say cats vs humans, etc. Their eyes have different/fewer color cones, shapes, structures, etc. This can certainly change the perception of color between a cat and a human, but probably not between cats.
On the other hand, one could argue that perhaps we do perceive colors slightly differently. Take, for example, your favorite color. Why is one person's favorite color different than anothers? Why does one person like a particular color scheme while another person hates it? There are many possible reasons, but a plausible (perhaps far-fetched) one is that we all do like the same perception of color, but different people see different colors as that perception.
The idea of perception goes far beyond just color. It affects all other senses as well.
------------------

Joseph Howard

Stunt Coordinator
Here is another interesting tidbit. There is a very very
small population (all women) that have extra rods/cones
in their respective eyes. I think the people are called
"super-color-perceptuals" because they can distinguish
a much greater range in gradation of colors. It is
almost like most of humanity uses 8-bit color decoding
of their surroundings whereas these very rare women
view colors with 20-bit color depth.
So I might look at two samples of "red" and say they
are a perfect match.
These individuals can look at the same samples of "red"
and say that one of them is 1% different. "rose red"
and maybe "carnation red."
Or..... I see two samples of blue, one has a wavelength
of 400.00 nanometers and the other 400.01 nanometers. I
can not tell the difference. These people can.
Freaky.
--Joe

Steve_J

Grip
I believe this is basically an epistemological question and there is no certainity that what you subjectively percieve is the same as what someone else subjectively percieves.
The Rationalist Descartes said the only knowledge we can know with absolute certainity is the existence of our own mind and therefore our own subjective views of the world. This means we cannot even verify the existence of other people, much less that their subjective knowledge is the same as ours.
[Edited last by Steve_J on November 02, 2001 at 04:35 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks