What's new

Is it possible to link two subwoofers together? (1 Viewer)

SCcobra4me

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ryan
I was just wondering if you can simply use a Y adapter off the subwoofer output on the receiver and split the signal or would this possibly damage the equiptment?

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
There's no chance that a Y adapter would damage your equipment. That method will work just fine for hooking up two subs.

Beefmaster

Auditioning
Real Name
Wolf
as long as your sub cables arent to heavy and put stress on the sub plug.
some subs [like velodynes] will daisy chain from one to another.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
There are people running 2, 4 and even 8 subs using the Y adapter method. I use a Y to split my LFE into each input of a pro amp. Each channel of the pro amp powers a 15" sub.

-Robert

SCcobra4me

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ryan
Thanks for the input, I went and got a Y adapter today and only one problem, the Paradigm PDR-10 I recently acquired needs the subwoofer replaced, anyone know where I can get one. I looked around and haven't had any luck, I don't want to spend much as I have nothing into it (did some work for a friend). If it's more than $100 or so, I'd rather just go another route.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The actual driver needs to be replaced? How did you determine that? Scratchy noises when you gently push the cone in by hand? The surround or spider is torn or failing in some manner? I'm asking because you can repair drivers sometimes depending on the issue. If that isn't an option, then contacting Paradigm for a replacement is the best route. If that is too expensive then we can explore the generic driver option but that requires more information about the sub and the enclosure to properly pick a replacement.

-Robert

SCcobra4me

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ryan
The foam has come off of the cone about 1/4 of the way around it, not sure how to fix that. I took it out and looked at it, other than that, it seems to be fine.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If the foam has just come loose from the cone, then you can use 2 part epoxy. Mix some 10 minute epoxy up and use a toothpick to spread it between the cone and the surround. Use some painter's tape on the cone in case you drip the epoxy.

If it is a tear, then you can re-foam it. I bought a bunch of different re-foam kits off e-bay for some of my old woofers. Depending on what you need, you can spend between $10 and $20 for a kit.

-Robert

SCcobra4me

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ryan
I'll look into the refoam kit, cuz there is a tear, thanks for the info. A friend of mine said he has an Orion home sub with a blown amp but the sub is still good that he'd throw my way, I may play around and see how that sounds and if all fails, refoam the current sub or find a replacement. Thanks again though.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Do you know the Theile/Small parameters of the Orion? Do you have at least a model and the year made? The reason I ask the first question is because all subs have different parameters and will perform differently in the same box. The reason I ask the second question is the older HCCA models were built by TC Sounds on the TC-9 platform. If you aren't familiar with subs, this is a very, very good thing.

-Robert

SCcobra4me

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ryan
I'll post info when I get the sub, not sure when that'll be, hopefully this weekend.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If you aren't sure, post a pic. Make sure you get a side shot and back side shot of the frame/magnet structure. I know a TC-9 motor. I bought 8 of them to build my own subs.

-Robert

keithling

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Keith Ling
I recently switched from using the LFE /Subwoofer output to going with the front left and right speaker connections.

IMO, LFE is a waste of time unless you don't use your home theater for music and only use it for digitally encoded DVDs.

I will even go so far to say that a sub properly set up with speaker wire (instead of the LFE) has much better balance and cleaner output than using the LFE even on digitally encoded DVDs.
That LFE cable serves better as a jump rope or clothes line.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by keithling

I recently switched from using the LFE /Subwoofer output to going with the front left and right speaker connections.

IMO, LFE is a waste of time unless you don't use your home theater for music and only use it for digitally encoded DVDs.

I will even go so far to say that a sub properly set up with speaker wire (instead of the LFE) has much better balance and cleaner output than using the LFE even on digitally encoded DVDs.
That LFE cable serves better as a jump rope or clothes line.
So you moved the crossover from the receiver to the sub... What's the difference????

BTW - the LFE/subwoofer output is more than just the Low Frequency Effects channel. It works in the same way as the crossover in your sub. Difference is all the low frequency from all your speakers are sent to the sub (as they should be). Now add the newest EQ from the latest receivers and you are wasting the biggest and best part of the corrections (by not utilizing the sub out).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks