What's new

Is it possible to change the battery in an old NORELCO? (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I have a Norelco 805 RX shaver from about 12 years ago. Two years ago it just died. I can't find any easy way to open it in order to removie/change the battery. Are these things supposed to be disposable after they die out? For over a hundred bucks, that wouldn't please me. I've grown a mustache and beard since in order not to have to shell out for another expensive shaver - I use a cheapo trimmer now.

LewB

Screenwriter
Looks like my Norelco will open up if remove the torx screws that hold it together. As for the battery, have you tried Radio Shack ?

DaveMcS

Second Unit
It is possible, and RatShack does carry the batteries but there are a LOT of little parts inside the case.

Do a Google search on Norelco razor repairs and you'll find quite a few shops that offer complete cleaning, lubeing and battery replacement services :emoji_thumbsup:

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I think you can frankenstein something together even if you can't find a direct replacement of the battery in there, as long as you can find out the voltage it needs and perhaps how many watts of power it is. You can always wire up a bunch of rechargeable batteris to output the voltage the charger needs and if you get more ampHr batteries, the longer the charger will run (depending on how many watts it draws). Then you can possible buy tabbed batteries or use battery holders from Radio Shack (or any electronics parts store) and wire your own batterypack for it.

Jay

Bob Kavanaugh

Second Unit
Even if you can change the batteries, are the blades in good shape? Or at least, are they readily replaceable?

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
on the norelcos I've owned the cutter heads are easily replaceable, and I think supposed to be replaced every year or 6 months or something. I never did because they were something like 30 bucks :)
I never replaced a battery, but mine got so bad that it won't run unless plugged in.

Joe Schwartz

Second Unit
I'd say just buy a new shaver. You got 12 years of use from a $100 shaver, which sounds quite reasonable to me.

For what it's worth, I strongly prefer linear shavers (like Remington, Braun, and Panasonic) over Norelco's rotary shavers.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I'm the opposite, I don't care for the foil and cutterblock shavers. The cutterblock on my braun got dull really fast and those were expensive. I've long since gone back to blades. Electrics are not for me I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks