What's new

Is it just me or is GT3 too boring? (1 Viewer)

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
How many people on this forum have extensive experience of driving grand prix cars so we can judge the accuracy of statements about the 'realism' of some of these other games?

AjayM

Screenwriter
How many people on this forum have extensive experience of driving grand prix cars so we can judge the accuracy of statements about the 'realism' of some of these other games?
Hmmm, I've driven lots of karts in the past (including shifter karts), I've driven lots and lots of Solo2 (and similiar) competitions, and I've driven real cars around race tracks (Solo1 type events, using cars that are actually in the game). GT3 isn't quite there, the cars do under/over steer like in real life, but the actual dynamics of those things happening are usually off by a bit, the whole power side of the game engine is very flawed in the way they make cars slower is just to rev up slowly, I've seen slow cars with very fast revving engines and vice versa. Just that alone changes the way a car drives around a track. It isn't a case of making it more simple to drive around the track (ie making the tires stick more, etc).
Again, don't get me wrong I enjoy the game, and it's a lot of fun. But simulation wise it's lacking behind the best (Grand Prix Legends is still the simulation king, but they are using probably the hardest cars in the world to drive).
Andrew
------------------

Bryce D

Grip
quote: The people that don't like it didn't play the first two right? What you're complaining about it what Gran Tourismo is and is lots of people love it because it's deep that's not just mindlessly running around a track hardly ever using the brakes.[/quote]
Totally the exact oposite. Ive played the first two...and GT1 is still, IMHO and many others, the BEST Gran Turismo to date, the physics model is the best, the twitchyness of the cars is spot on, the roll of the cars (even though they dont roll completely) is more accurate then GT2 or GT3.
The problem was that GT1 was TOO hard for people to grasp, and too difficult for people to tune. So they added more tuning variables, with less difficulty, making the game a sinch to jump into an drive.
I guarentee that if you have played GT2, or GT3 extensivly, you COULD NOT jump into GT1 (JAP) and turn 1 (one) clean lap around a circuit of your choice. There is no LSD, there is no ABS, there is no TC, there is no driving aids AT ALL, other then auto clutch. THATS IT! Totally differnt game. A great example, grab the RX-7 LM, a car present in all Gran Turismo's and try turning identicle lap times, withen a half seconed (an eternity in racing tearms) in all 3 games. Not gonna happen. Even though, for all intensive purposes, its the EXACT same car.
quote: How many people on this forum have extensive experience of driving grand prix cars so we can judge the accuracy of statements about the 'realism' of some of these other games?[/quote]
Well, lets see, ive driven in countless Auto-X and Rally-X events. Ive driven in Solo1, and Solo2. Ive done (literally) thousands of hotlaps at Portland International Raceway, Seattle International Raceway, Sears Point Raceway, Willow Springs Raceway, and Laguna Seca Raceway. Ive driven in several Club Rallys across the US, as well as a Pro Rally. Ive worked with a couple teams setting up a Star Mazda car, as well as a Barber Dodge Pro Series car. Both of which included driving the cars to fine tune the setups. Ive also worked as an auto mechanic, and have been exclusivly tuning Japanese imports for the last few years as an aditional hobby. And all of that has happened since i turned 16 and got my driviers licence, folowed two months later by my first SCCA licence. And its been going that way ever since. So i would HOPE that i have at least a little bit of credibility tword saying what a realistic racing sim is and isnt when it comes to the physics model.
[Edited last by Bryce D on August 27, 2001 at 06:03 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread