What's new

Is it better to use Banana Plugs at each end of your speaker wire... Help (1 Viewer)

EddyObregon

Stunt Coordinator
Ok I just bought a ne wsystem and I also bought 14 guage wire. Now my friend tolmd me to buy banana plugs and climp it on at each end of the wire. He said that this is a better connection. Are there any benefits of this other than its easier to hook up. Also if I do buy Banana plugs should i buy the climping type or the twisting type.

Mike_Skeway

Second Unit
Best connection is bare wire, then spades, then banana, then pins.

Honestly, it makes no difference to the sound.

Bananas are good if you need to disconnect them frequently. I would go with crimping, less likely to get loose. Again, really doesn’t matter that much.

I use spades myself.

keoni

Agent
As mike said Bare is better, banana work well if you move your stuff around allot and want to disconnect and reconnect quick. I went to best buy and was looking at some bananas and laughing at their over inflated prices. A little audio "advisor" twirp came over and asked me how my speakers where connected now. I told him bare wire to binding posts. He asked me what kind of speakers I had, I told him. He then said and I quote "Sound isnt about the speakers, it all about what connections you use" It took everything in my being to not punch him in the face. I laughed and said " Have you started training yet" He walked away a little irritated and left me alone.

EddyObregon

Stunt Coordinator
so bare wire is better straight to the receivers banana plugs. With 14 guage will i have a problem I just hate trying to fish a wire into the banana plug crease. By the way whats spades. I just might go with banaplugs and then crimp them. Using banana plugs is just as good as bare wire correct. Also what are spades

Mike_Skeway

Second Unit
You shouldn't have a problem with 14 AWG into the binding posts on the receiver or speakers. I don't think it makes a difference any way you go. Some will disagree, some have the golden ears too. :laugh: :p)

Here is a what each type of connector looks like:

Scott Kriefall

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
Banana plugs usually allow for a vastly easier connection to your receiver's rear panel -- at least for me. But if you have super-tiny fingers, then bare wire might not be quite so bad :).

Chip E

Screenwriter
I use banana plugs. It's the easiest connection for me. Using bare wire the wire can corrode over time. Also using bare wire you have to watch out for stray,errant strands and that they don't touch another binding post. Some people recommend trimming them back every so often, especially if you move gear around/swap it out. I don't want to be bothered with that. When my Ref50 has to go in for a firmware upgrade i just pull all the banana plugs out and let 'em hang. All my speakers plug into 5 way binding post jack into the wall with banana's. It's really convienient.

RayM

Agent
I just use bare wire...
Am considering using bananas just for the back end of the receiver tho.

James_R

Auditioning
I use bananas for the ease of use. I tend to move my stuff around a lot and being able to unplug (no spining/twisting/swearing) is very much worth the effort and time...

.... Not about the speaker? Suddenly I feel ripped off!

J

Sheldon-m

Stunt Coordinator
I'm with the bananas plugs. there are easy to mess with when you have to disconnect. If you don't buy for all your speakers, I suggest you buy them for the receiver.

John S

Senior HTF Member
I have always in the past just used straight wire.

I did a real nice room last weekend, where he had it pre-wired and the wire guy, put banana plugs on everything, and let me tell you, I was done in more than half the time.

I think I am sold on it now and forever more.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
There was a thread just recently about what connection was best. Here were my thoughts:

1) Bare wire is best. People talk about corrosion (this is false) and oxidation (this is true), but if you tighten down the connection enough, there will be no oxidation where contact is made.

2) Spades are next, in that it's all about contact area. Spades kill bananas in terms of contact area.

Some people like locking bananas, but I still think spades would win for absolute contact surface area.

But ... bananas are the most convenient.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
I like the Radio Shack Dual Bananas (for behind the speakers) and the single bananas for behind the reciever.

I was using the Monster "Twist Crimp" bananas, but they would pull out every 3 weeks or so. With the radio shack units, I have not had a loose wire in 2 years.

Be sure to get the 'good' ones: 279-308 and 279-306

Parts Express also has bananas that are similar to the Radio Shack units and people say they are superior.

Drew_W

Screenwriter
I know this has nothing to do with anything, but I think this belongs in the Connections/Accessories forum. While that forum isn't quite as active as this one is, by posting something like this here, while it may get more exposure and perhaps more replies, it's not helping the Connections forum become more active.

My $0.02 worth.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation661
Recent bookmarks