What's new

Is it better to have a better in-ceiling center speaker than the rest of the speakers? (1 Viewer)

bobspeakhome

Auditioning
Real Name
Bob Liu
I am in the process of installing an in-ceiing 5.1 HT system. I have 4 SpeakerCraft in-ceiling 7" Aim7 Two speakers and a 8" Aim8 Three for the center channel. Is this a better setup than using all (5) Aim7 Two speakers? I cannot afford to buy all Aim8 speakers, since they cost twice as much as the Aim7s. The speakers will be driven by a Yahama RX-A1010 Receiver. Thanks.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
It is always best to keep your speakers "timbre matched". This means they all have similar sound. This allows sound to be the same as it pans from speaker to speaker. This is most important with your front 3. Only get the 'better' speaker if Speakercraft states that it is indeed timbre matched with others. BTW - We don't recommend in ceiling speakers for anything other than background music like you would hear in a grocery store. The decision to go with ceiling speakers is for interior design, not sound design. Just my $.02. I understand everyone's goals are different.

dargo

Grip
Real Name
Dargo
bobspeakhome said:
Thank you for your honesty. I will have to rethink my system.
in ceiling is fine for surround, maybe even left and right but never center channel, center should be right above or right below the screen. in ceiling reminds me of backround music you would hear in a store.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I personally wouldn't use them for surrounds. Definitely not for front speakers (left, right, or center). Too hard to properly aim (tweeters should be at ear height).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks