What's new

Is is my sub or my box causing the problem? (1 Viewer)

Brett Creider

Stunt Coordinator
Ok...so here's what I got...

I've got a Tempest powered by a 250watt PE remote control amp. It is in a 2x2x2' box and is just about the same size as the Low Q design Adire likes. It also has the same type of bracing and when I put salt on top of the box it is DEFINITELY stiff...

But one thing that is different is it is front firing and the front has double stacked MDF. 2 3/4" peices. At the moment they are glued in a little and screwed in near the outside...so no screws near the sub or anywhere else at all...

Right now it's too late to do anything but over there it would be like this:

Crank it to about 1/3 volume...be fine and dandy clean as a whistle, you're loving it. Turn it up a HAIR more and it sounds like it's bottoming out even though it doesn't seem it should be because the XMAX is crazy and the amp is 250, driver 750...

So is the problem the 2 peices of MDF not put together well enough and it's possibly clapping against each other...or is the sub actually bottoming out?

BTW: The box is glued, screwed, and caulked like no other...besides those front peices...

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Actually, it's probably the amp. If you turn up the volume knob of the amp past 1/3, it does overdrive the driver. I leave it at 1/3 and use my pre/pro to set the gain of the sub relative to the rest of my speaker by calibrating the SPLs of the speakers and the sub.

Darren_T

Second Unit
I agree with Patrick. My PE 250 watt plate amp is a hair less than a third of the way up. With the sub properly calibrated you shouldn't need more than that.

Matt Dolejsi

Agent
the tempest is an efficient little beast and that amp would be able to take it well past mechanical limits in that enclosure

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks