What's new

Is Hollywood Video breaking up 2 disc sets for rental? (1 Viewer)

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Today I decided to rent "Angels In America" on DVD because I always failed to catch it on HBO (and really didn't want to watch it one part at a time.)

There were plenty of copies at Hollywood Video so I picked one up.

When I was set to watch it tonight, I noticed there was only one disc in the case. I could've swore it was a 2 disc set so I checked online and sure enough it is.

I was rathed pissed to say the least. I didn't bother looking *when* I rented it because if you can buy it as a 2 disc set then logic dictates that you can rent it that way too.

There was nothing that caught the eye on the packaging at Hollywood to say there's only one disc and you would assume it was a 2 disc set because it's available at retail that way right?

Only on the spine, in very small lettering does it say "Part I." The clerk certainly didn't mention anything to me like "Hey, don't you want part II as well?" These weren't separate films, it was one mini-series.

Safe to say I'm not watching part I then waiting for part II, I could've just waited forever for HBO to air it again.

I'm calling them tomorrow and making a complaint. Why the hell are they separating a 2 disc set and renting them individually? Has anyone else experienced this? With "Angels In America" or another title at Hollywood Video?

Is this a trend?

Paul Strilka

Stunt Coordinator
Blockbuster does this with TV season sets as well. Each disc counts as a rental. Dumb deal. You can buy the sets for less, re-sell them on amazon and re-coop most of your cost.

Tarkin The Ewok

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brandon
The last time I went to Hollywood Video (sometime this summer), I saw both the Dune and Children of Dune miniseries available for rent, and they were in hinged double-cases that contained multiple discs. This practice of splitting you mention might just apply to releases after a certain date.

DavidBL

Stunt Coordinator
They did this on Finding Nemo in my area... and then tried to sell them used that way as well. :thumbsdown:

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i think you'll find this happening more often.
i know at my store it is corp, but the reson i can see it is that you would be surprised how many people who rent 2 dvd sets never return both dvd's.

we call them and ask for them to be returned but a large percentage of them never come back.

if they are 2 separate releases , less of a chance of it not coming back.

RomanSohor

Second Unit
Hollywood and Blockbuster by me do that with the Sopranos seasons...

I've never rented any multi disc sets (if I like a movie, I generally just buy it) but I do recall a while back a bunch of people that had the OAR Finding Nemo on their NetFlix wish lists got Emails saying "Youy can get the P&S Finding Nemo right now if you want it!"

Mark Philp

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark
Most of the shops around here are doing the same thing with multiple-disc tv sets. Although I haven't seen it done with multi-part movies yet.The general feeling amoung the stores, is that "average" renter doesn't want to watch the whole thing in one or two sittings. I've noticed that even the public library is starting to do it. People were complaining that they couldn't watch say all 22 episodes of "NYPD Blue" in the week they were allowed to have them and would rather take it out one disc at a time when it was convenient to watch. Some times it's tough for those of us who are not "average".

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
I say give renters the option of renting the whole season of a show, and have it due back by midnight the following evening. 2-day rentals shall return!!! Bwaahhahaha, let the evil reign.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks