What's new

Is Faroudja over-rated? (1 Viewer)

Jim-M

Second Unit
You would need to test it with a pluge pattern to know for sure it it passed below black.

Charles Gurganus

Supporting Actor
Ralph, I wasn't trying to bust your chops or anything...:)

I was just curious. Your statement "infact I could care less cause I think for the most part dvd in general looks good!" jives with my opinion anyway.

I really WANTED that Sony 685 to look as good as the Onkyo SP800 but it didn't. I knew which machine was which in my testing but my wife and child did not know and they picked the Onkyo as the CLEAR winner(pun intended).

It is really hard to do a double blind test by yourself.
:D

Ralph B

Supporting Actor
No I didnt take it that way but I may have come off that way. I was just trying to make a point cause alot of people get so technical about it. :)

it is true though. I wish some older dvd's were remastered...etc but most of the new stuff is great looking. I just pulled out Hollow Man the other day to watch it and diodn't realize how good a dvd it looks. good picture on that dvd.

double blind test by yourself... lol :)

Steve_L_B

Stunt Coordinator
If you read the Secret's test methodology carefully, you will see that they clearly state that most DVD players do a good job with well authored material and that the differences in PQ between players are often subtle.

They test players for known issues with specific disks that will expose any performance problems. While most DVD players can produce good PQ much of the time, the highest rated players deliver the best possible picture virtually all of the time.

-Steve

Charles Gurganus

Supporting Actor
I hear ya Steve and I am aware of that. Unfortunatly, I feel the vast majority of people DO NOT know or read the test methodology, they only see the final score.

Now folks are buying Panasonic xp30's for $300 and over for a discontinued product because of those scores. :D

MuneebM

Supporting Actor
Charles and Steve, I agree with both of you to a certain extent. I read the Secrets test methodology and understood it, that's why I didn't rush out to buy an XP30 upon seeing the score. I wanted to A/B the top-rated players to my current player first, so I got my hands on the Denon 910 and made sure I'd be able to return it if I wasn't satisfied. But even having understood the test methodology, I, like many others, would still expect a better (Avia-calibrated) picture from a player ranked 90% vs. a player ranked 40%. A lot of people will look at those ratings and not even consider a player such as the Toshiba SD5700, even though it has excellent picture quality. Let this be a lesson to all those who hear about Faroudja and pay loads of money for a DVD player just because it has Faroudja :D

JamesGL

Stunt Coordinator
Using the eyeball test, with the wife's eyeballs as well, we can't tell the difference between the Denon 910 and 1600 compared to the NAD T533 using a Plasma from Fremont Hi Fi Audio/Video.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Yes I agree that Faroudja is "overrated".Not because it's not what it's supposed to do ,but for reasons already mentioned,that on correctly flaged film based DVD's it won't be amy better then other good deinterlacers.I also said this that most people even here on the forum not as "anal" about this, nor their other equipments[video screns] are as sophisticated,to make them worry about this.

Steve_L_B

Stunt Coordinator
The differences between Faroudja and non-Faroudja equipped players are often subtle and barely noticeable on smaller screens, but can become quite obvious on large screens. While most DVDs are generally flagged properly, be aware that there are still plenty of poorly edited ones. Many of the recent Disney releases and and most anime (if you are into that stuff) show serious problems with lesser deinterlacers. I don't think that the Faroudja deinterlacer is at all overrated. It certainly is not a "must have" feature, but it is among the best (if not the best) deinterlacers on the market.

-Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks