Is DTS dead on standard def DVD's?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Chris Tedesco, Jan 3, 2009.

1. Chris Tedesco

Chris Tedesco Second Unit

I might have missed this, but I'm just realizing that no new DVD's in the last several months carry the DTS audio format anymore. Was there a press release that DTS was only going to focus on HD DVD/Bluray?

2. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

I'd say yes. 90% of new releases are Dolby Digital only.

DTS is going strong on Blu-Ray though[​IMG]

3. Chris S

Chris S Cinematographer

Chris S
    It sure appears that way. I can't name a single DTS release from the past quarter which is typically the big release window when you'd think there would be quite a few. However like Bryan^H noted it's very prevalent on Blu-ray.

4. David_B_K

David_B_K Advanced Member

David
    although I almost always prefer DTS to DD, i do not really lament its loss on DVD. The bitrate of the picture is compromised IMO if they try to include both DTS and DD on a SD DVD (unless they spread the movie onto two discs, as in the LOTR special editions).

However, as others have said, DTS is alive and well on Blu-Ray. Bitrate is not as much of a concern on a high storage format like Blu-Ray.

5. Ernest

Ernest Supporting Actor

DTS is very popular with the Asian and Region 2 STD DVD. To be honest I don't notice that much of a difference to make a purchase just because the DVD contains a DTS audio track.

6. Frank@N

Frank@N Screenwriter

Every now and again, I'll encounter (and buy) an old SuperBit DVD for $5 or so.

In doing so, I'm essentially creating a 'two-disc' set with the normal version for menus & extras and then the SB for higher bitrate PQ & DTS.

I won't be buying BD, so for me this is as good as it gets for Sony movies.