What's new

Is direct sunlight harmful? (1 Viewer)

BrianRS

Stunt Coordinator
My new HDTV and components will be placed directly in front of a large bay window in my downstairs room. Do I need to worry about the sunlight beating on them? Can this damage the tv or components in any way?

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
I couldn't give you a technical reason not to, but every piece of HT gear I've ever bought has warnings in the instructions advising against placing it in direct sunlight.
Again, I don't know why exactly (other than the light can shorten the life of LCD and LED displays), but I've always taken precautions not to do it.

Doug_B

Screenwriter
Do I need to worry about the sunlight beating on them?
Only when watching Buffy
biggrin.gif

------------------
"Today is a good day to die." ...Old Lodge Skins

JerryHatchett

Stunt Coordinator
Direct sunlight will definitely fade the color of the finish and in some cases weaken the finish. My '94 Sony 53XBR has spent a lot of time in direct sunlight and now has some flaking going on on the finish.
I strongly recommend putting up some blinds or doing something to limit the exposure to direct sunlight.
Jerry

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
UV radiation is more harmful than people think...over time, the finish on your tv will degrade, and will likely harm the coating(s) on the tv screen. Plus, tv images will be washed out, forcing you to crank the contrast on your set, which also reduces the life of the CRTs!
Get it out of there, or at least find a way to cover up the windows.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i agree with jerry -
the ultra-violet rays from the sunlight will (in the long-run) cause fading of the exterior. i'd just put something (towel, books, etc) over the top just to absorb the rays and keep it off the gear.
------------------
You step in the stream,
But the water has moved on.
This page is not here.

Chris_Campbell

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
I'm sorry I don't have any good suggestions for a fix, but I agree with what the others have said here. Especially if your TV or any part of your equipment is made of plastic. Polymers do NOT react well with ultraviolet radiation over time, and WILL fade or discolor. But you may have space limitations, so maybe just a nice set of drapes or something?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks