What's new

Is "Direct" broadcasting all transponders in 4:3 masked tonight? (1 Viewer)

Mary M S

Screenwriter
Or did my STB or display just have a major glitch?
I can size my screen with the Sat feed off, And my displays notes with STB on - its locked into full. Yet my 16:9 is displaying a barred 4:3 image on all channels?

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Mary,

You might have your stb set to output only an HD format--1080i or 720p. In this scenario the box outputs an HD scanrate and that locks most all display devices into Full mode. The black bars are being added by the box in the case of incoming 4/3 material, but HD stuff should be 16/9 without bars. Keep in mind that many HD channels do not show HD all the time, much of the content is upconverted 4/3 480i material with the black bars added by the broadcaster.

HBO and Showtime have lots of programming on their HD feeds that is upconverted and has black bars on the sides. HDNet, HDNet Movies, and Discovery HD should always be 16/9.

If you post what channels you're watching and what programs you're watching as well as what scanrate the box is outputting we could help more.

Mary M S

Screenwriter
Just came back to check and sure enough HDNet is viewing at 16:9. I don't remember if I scrolled past it earlier just the HBO/Sho HD areas I believe which must have been up-converted at the moment.

Must be a box glitch. I can't stand watching 4:3 based on my 16:9 with the bars, So on 4:3 material I disengage the HD on the box. Something has gone wrong as it is only currently passing the feed with HD engaged. (or the kids have changed some menu - I'll start digging) if I toggle 'fetch' disengaging HD, - I lose the feed.

Now I know to look on 'my' end.
Thank you!

I looked... :b this is a very limited STB as displaying current resol. info etc (DTC100) and I have nothing to verify 'what I'm truly at with this unit. Checking just now, Some-ONE changed my HD 4:3 default Aspect R to 'normal' which is barred. (did not even recall that menu setting I have not been in it in so long) as my default viewing was set for 'full' on HD 4:3 based material, - still, something new is going on with the box, since I occasionally toggle the HD off if I needed to vary zoom modes to fix stretch on a given feed when desired. Feed is gone right now if I toggle HD off. Since I lost my 101w the other night (confirmed with a few others having simalar experince, after taking a poll) I assume due to 'drifting' or such that has been going on, with a few other odd ball transitory incidents from D* feeds recently. I jumped to D* being up to something. :)

again THANKs MUCH!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks