Is Day Of The Dead :SE worth a blind buy?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Eric Stuckey, Aug 16, 2003.

1. Eric Stuckey

Eric Stuckey Second Unit

I was wondering how this movie is. The specs look outstanding. And I do enjoy the NOTLD movies. Thanks for your opioun. Eric

2. Travis_W

Travis_W Supporting Actor

Absolutely. The afforementioned dubbing problems (6 total) won't even be noticed if you haven't seen the film. That's all I'm going to say about the dubbing, since it's mention brings flame wars galore. The transfer is among the best, the audio is great, and the extras are awesome. Definitely get it.

3. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

Got my copy yesterday and it is definately a good buy. Like it was mentioned above, I didn't notice the audio dubs at all. The film transfer is great and the extras are awesome. Get the disc, you won't be disappointed.

4. TedT

TedT Second Unit

I'm in the minority, but it was my favorite of the whole series. Go for it!

5. Randy B A

Randy B A Supporting Actor

I'll keep the San Diego thing going here.

I think it is worth it for the $15- it can be had for.

The only thing I am not happy about is Anchor Bay is going the digi-pack route for all of thier 2 disc DVDs now. When will these studios learn that most sollectors want Keepcases. (I am speaking for myself here)

6. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Screenwriter

7. Sean*O

Sean*O Second Unit

It was OK, but nowhere near Dawn of the Dead IMHO.

Just a bit of a snore for the 1st hour. More action, or suspense/horror would have been nice. Instead, most of the 1st hour is spent watching some truly rotton actors throwing tantrums and hissy-fits & being as ubnoxious as possible to each other. In fact, it seemed that the living humans were made more of a menace toward each other than the dead folks were towards them.

Great looking transfer though.. really RED blood, and even in the correct shade of red (unlike the orange-ish hued blood seen in some other zombie flicks.)

8. Haden

Haden Supporting Actor

I think that was the twist in this one that made it interesting.... we're supposed to feel sympathetic for the ZOMBIES this time instead of the humans. Especially Bub. [​IMG]

9. JayF

JayF Stunt Coordinator

I'd hold out as a blind purchase and rent it first. I doubt it's a movie you'll want to visit again and again. I'm a fan of Romero and Night & Dawn, but this one pretty much blows. I'm sure I'm in the minority, especially on this forum, but this is a BAD movie.

10. Ron Boster

Ron Boster Screenwriter

Jay:

I couldn't agree more. I bought as a blind buy....IMHO, bad (over)acting, cringe worthy dialogue, and that dated music score....god awful. I had to laugh at the actor who played the doctor's boyfriend.....could he have been any less masculine? If this was suppose to be tongue-in-cheek like Re-animator, I'd have bought into it.

Again, this is one person's opinion on what has been a very popular movie, with a strong following.

Ron

11. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

DAY is a tense, angry, and yes sometimes over-the-top film. However, it's immensely enjoyable. Each of the films in the trilogy are their own animals, so some folks who liked the other two didn't like DAY, but I think it's a really good film in its own right and has been unjustly maligned over the years. If you like the Zombie film genre, then DAY is one of the best.

12. Randy B A

Randy B A Supporting Actor

Maybe not all of them but they are doing digipacks for some that I have recently gotten:

The Complet Musketeers
    The Hulk set
    Dead and Buried
    Day of the dead
    Near Dark

I hope this trend does not continue.

13. Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez Screenwriter

I love the film. Certainly distinguishes itself from the other "dead" films, but I must admit I love it. The broad anger I found to be a stylized representation of what would happen when humans begin to turn on each other. I can see how it would turn off some folks.

Favorite cringe-inducing, horrifying moment...

...when a character gets his head ripped off and the scream rises in pitch, as if to emulate the vocal cords expanding and severing.

Wow...!

While I was originally critical of the musical score, I honestly cannot think of DOTD without it now. No Goblin, no library music. John Harrison's score has settled in my mind as DOTD's musical feel. Some folks feel otherwise, but that's just me!

Cheers,

14. Mark_Paul

Mark_Paul Agent

15. Jason Hennigan

Jason Hennigan Stunt Coordinator

Jason Hennigan
    I purchased it on release day, having not seen the film before, and I am glad to have seen it, and I'm glad that I own the film, but I can't say that it's something that I would recommend to just anyone. Fans of the trilogy should see it, but beyond that it's kind of a tough call.

Dawn of the Dead is still, by far, my favorite installment in the series.

16. Topher

Topher Stunt Coordinator

Yes, if you like zombie movies, or are remotely interested in anything like this.

17. Sean*O

Sean*O Second Unit

18. Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez Screenwriter

19. Eric Stuckey

Eric Stuckey Second Unit

Well guys I got it from DDD but have not opened it yet. I called Blockbuster exspecting them to say no we don't have it but to my surprize they had it for rent and to buy. So next weekend I will rent it before I open my copy I got from DDD. THANKS for all the help.
    Eric

20. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

It is interesting to note that, as told in the extras on Disc 2, there was supposed to be a lot more interaction with the Zombies in the original script. There were jungle fighting scenes with the people being attacked by the zombies and such. Those scenes were deleted because of cost constraints.