What's new

Is Dark City worth a blind buy at $10.00? (1 Viewer)

Eric_R_C

Second Unit
Nick, glad you liked it. :D

"Many fans of the film prefer to watch it with the sound turned off during the opening narration, until the first appearance of Kiefer Sutherland."

Interestingly enough, when I first saw this film, I came in to the part where "John" was trying to get his wallet at the food dispenser, and was still able to "get" the film. The opening narration was a sad concession to have made. It really brings the concept of the film down a notch - the audience should initially know only what the main character knows.

BTW, it's been awhile since I've heard the excellent commentary, but it seems to me there are one or two parts where Ebert makes a comment that sounds like he's not seen the movie. I don't recall specifically what he said, but it's like "Wait, don't you know the answer to that question?"

...or am I the only one who caught this? :b

Iain Jackson

Second Unit
Ebert had definitely seen the movie... after all, the main reason he has a commentary on the disc is because he called Dark City the best film of 1998 (and I have to say that I can't think of much else from that year that was better).

Eric_R_C

Second Unit
Not denying that, just saying that there are one or two unusual comments, like he forgot some parts or something.

Armand G

Stunt Coordinator
Choices choices...

There is also an French DTS release available to you with region 2 playing capabilities.

Further I can highly recomend the DD LD or even better the
DTS LD for those still hanging on to the unbeatable sound of LD's.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I am coming in rather late here....

Dark City was a major topic of discussion
here a few years ago when it was released.

I never heard of the film, but bought it because
our DVD reviewer at that time was recommending it
highly, and everyone who bought it based on his
recommendation also was raving about it.

I loved the film. A huge surprise for sure.

Been a few years since I last saw this film, and
because this thread has resurrected some good
memories, I am going to watch it again this week.

Yes, absolutely worth a blind purchase. Very
cool and dark sci-fi film. It's got balls to it!

Scott Thomas

Second Unit
Its Sunday night at 9:00pm and there's nothing good on TV.

I just found my copy of Dark City, I think I'll go watch it.

This really is a great movie. It never really got the attention it should have received because it was released at the height of Titanic's popularity.

Bottom line: Buy this DVD, Ebert first DVD commentary ,right?

Nick Senger

Stunt Coordinator
I've watched this twice now since picking it up this week and I have a question about the plot (it won't give too much away, but I'll hide it anyway, since part of the enjoyment of the movie is its surprises):

I never did hear a good explanation for Murdoch being able to "tune." It seems a bit far-fetched, even in a sci-fi movie, for him to have just "evolved" the ability. Did I miss something?

Thanks.

Eric_R_C

Second Unit
No, that was pretty much it. Remember, you should keep two things in mind.

1) This is science fiction. (That being said, it's better than some technical "Star Trek" explanation, and
2) We don't know how long they've been in outer space. These could have been the original abductees, or they could be the great-grandchildren of the original abductees.

Point being, it was still a great plot point to use the alien's abilities against them. Since the "device" amplified their abilities, why couldn't it amplify a latent "telekinetic" ability in a human as well? After all, Dark City isn't strictly science-fiction. The message is what being human is all about, not the cool alien powers.
;)

Nick Senger

Stunt Coordinator
That's pretty much what I thought, but I didn't want to miss anything. It's still a great film, and I will enjoy having people over to watch it--hardly anyone I know has even heard of it, let alone seen it.

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor
My take on this:

I believe his special ability was gained due to the interrupted forehead injection (in the bathtub). He lost his old persona, except for some fragments and the planned new persona never took hold.

AllanN

Supporting Actor
any tips on how long that narration is? So I can mute it for that long
On a lighter note, Jennifer Connally
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Count me in as another who loves this film and watches it with the narration off. I posted as much in the last Dark City thread (it's a movie which has a new thread usually asking "is Dark City any good?" pop up about every 6-12 months). I just wish that New Line would re-issue this with the opening commentary able to be toggled on/off. Muting the intro is kind of disconcerting because when you turn the volume up, there is already music and effects going so I often have to explain to those I'm showing it to for the first time why I am doing that. It'd be nice to have it "professionally" done that way. :)

Dave Gilbert

Second Unit
After reading through this thread, I think I'll have to upgrade my VHS copy and watch it again in OAR (for the first time). That Ebert commentary is what seals the deal.

Aaron Cohen

Second Unit
Is it anamorphic? I have bought many New Line DVD's and know the way they designate whether the dvd is anamorphic or not and all signs on the dvd point to it not being anamorphic.... So, owners of the DVD, is it anamorphic or not?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Question....

Been a long time since I have seen this film so
I don't remember the opening.

Why is everyone turning the opening narration off?

Does it ruin the film in any way?

Thanks in advance

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Ron,

Basically it runs more like a film noir without the opening narration, and that's how the film originally was. But if you listen to the commentary (I think the director's not Ebert's) he says one of the studio heads "didn't get it" and insisted on something like an opening monologue to clue people in. So as a concession, they had Kiefer say those lines.

But it's supposed to throw you in as a viewer and you don't know any more than main character, and the story unfolds as you travel with John through the movie. It's much more effective when you don't know what the doctor's intentions are and what side he's on.

Aaron, it is anamorphic, and a fine transfer given that it was one of New Line's early titles and that it's a dark movie (something MPEG2 has problems with I believe).

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
And it's a real test for digital projectors. This is the title for testing the contrast ratio.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks