What's new

Is Criterion's Brazil safe to buy? (1 Viewer)

Tony_Ramos

Second Unit
Wait for the inevitable Criterion HD-DVD or Bluray set. that's what I'm doing. I'm sure it will be of insane picture quality.

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez

Yes it does. Also, the non-anamorphic Criterion dvd looks better than I expected on my 92 in screen via Panny RP-91. The current Criterion DVD set is fine until HD.

Cheers,

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter

Believe it or not, Dave, the original US theatrical cut was issued by Universal briefly on DVD very early on (March 1998 - I in fact had a copy before buying the Criterion version - released July 1999), then replaced with the Criterion/Gilliam cut - the original release did not include the legend "fully restored" on the front cover. In fact, if you check out the disc artwork at Amazon.com you'll see that this is how it was first issued by Universal.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell

Even that original release without the "fully restored" legend on the cover was the Criterion final final director's cut. See, for example, the Digital Bits review dated 7/19/99, which reviews the 1998 Universal release that lacked the "fully restored" cover notation.

DJ

DouglasBr

Stunt Coordinator
Damn, I was hoping it was so. I like the US theatrical cut as well as the Director's cut (had it on VHS for so long, but no more). I've held off on the Criterion in the (possibly vain) hope that an even more comprehensive (ie anamorphic presentation and including the US theatrical cut) edition will emerge. Silly me, I guess. . . .

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
So out of the two non-anamorphic R1 versions...the Criterion and the Universal disc...which one looks better to the eye?

-dave

Daniel Windsor

Stunt Coordinator
I own the UK release and the Criterion.

The Criterion disc is nice to look at in the box but it's terrible in a DVD player. It's essentially just a laserdisc port with some added brightness/too much contrast.

The UK disc knocks it out easy.

It's on special at www.amazon.co.uk (they'll take the tax off for non EU residents).

Add it to that 21DVD set Laurel & Hardy set you've been promising yourself :D

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
The Criterion 3-disc was a lavish one-off... experiement (a successful one, of course) and I dount that they will ever revisit it again: it would mean acquiring the vault elements at Universal and re-creating the "Love Conquers All" version.

With that said, the Criterion is still worth buying if you love the film or have a strong interest in the dark side of film production machinations. And you can always buy the anamorphic UK edition for full reference and pleasure.

The existing Criterions that need a new SE (1 or 2-disc with new transfer) and would be feasible, ie. elements/extras are available and it would sell well, are:

2 - Seven Samurai: 2-Disc
4 - Amacord
14 - Samurai Trilogy
34 -Andrei Rublev: 2-Disc
36 - Wages of Fear
86 - Einstein Sound Years

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell

Why would they need to bother? It's just an extra. It doesn't require a new transfer. That version exists as a fullframe video master, and Criterion faithfully presented it already. Giving a new transfer would just be wheel-spinning.

DJ

MarkHarrison

Supporting Actor
As has already been mentioned, the amount of mis-information floating around about this movie on DVD is amazing. I see several threads a year on multiple sites where the same argument is played out over and over.

If you really want to know about the different versions available and the differences between them, you should visit Terry Gilliam's movie Brazil and read their FAQ. They list every minute difference between the different versions and tell you exactly what is available. It's a must read site for fans of the movie.

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
There are also Anamorphic NTSC versions in R3 Korea and R4 Brazil. Although the R4 may be PAL sourced.

Hayes Preston

Stunt Coordinator

Yes they are anamorphic (enhanced for 16:9)
They do not have an exchange program, but in the case of Brazil, they have a movie only single-disc version. So if you already own the 3-disc set, you only need to buy the single disc and it will fit into your exisitng three-disc box (discs two and three are unchanged.) If you don't already own the three-disc set, they are also offering that, with disc one being anamorphic.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

Yes, this bears repeating, as it is a little confusing; the only version of Brazil that is anamorphically enhanced is Terry Gilliam's approved version. The bouns material on disc 2 and the "Love Conquers All" version of the film on disc 3 remain non-anamorphic.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks