What's new

Is CBS Paramount Going To Continue With Accelerated TV Show Releases? (1 Viewer)

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Then there's hope for the remaining two seasons of FAMILY TIES. Never did understand why they suddenly stopped putting this out - poor sales couldn't have been the reason.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
I'd like to see:
Walker, Texas Ranger: Trial By Fire
Sons of Thunder (Perhaps these Two could be Bundled Together) ;)
The Continuation of Early Edition and Touched by an Angel
The Promised Land

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Charles Ellis said:
I'm still surprised there is no new info on further Petticoat or Hillbillies releases, especially when you consider that all of the B/W episodes from both shows have been released by CBS/Paramount. So, for both shows the next release should be the shows from 1965-66, the first color season for each show. So where are the DVDs?
Not quite... Season 1 of The Beverly HIllbillies has had PD releases and a "official" release from MPI (aka "The Ultimate Collection" V1 & V2 plus the separate Christmas crossover episode) but not CBS/Paramount. None of the S1 releases by others were truly done properly. I'd love to see an official CBS/Paramount release of S1.

Kasey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kasey
There was an issue with a music clearance a few years ago and CBS got sued, which may explain why "Family Ties" has been stalled. They had to pay out a lot of $.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
it could make sense about Family ties to why the remaining season have not been released as i would think family ties has a decent following.

Mr. Pacino

Second Unit
Real Name
Nico
It´s so great what´s happening with "Streets of San Francisco" at the moment.
I´m waiting that CBS/Paramount will continue with Matt Houston, Cannon, Jake and the Fatman and Barnaby Jones.
To this very moment, I´m still wondering why CBS/Parmount released "Cannon-Season 1+2" in such a horrible quality.
The picture quality makes me speechless.....

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
I know, Cannon is very likely their worst looking TV release ever, almost as if it somehow slipped though the cracks by mistake. As bad as it is I'd still rather have this though than nothing at all, but I have a feeling they've stopped releasing material that hasn't been remastered. I could be wrong, but most if not all of their more recent titles have all been remastered so perhaps this is their new policy and required stadard set.
As I also suggested years back when Streets didn't go beyond S2, my suspicions were the episodes would have to undergo remastering before they moved on, and voila now it's done. Question of course is if Barnaby Jones has too, or presently is or about to. I've caught all 3 to 5 seasons of Streets on TV in the last couple of years and they clearly weren't remastered but watchable quality, much better than Cannon, so even if Barnaby Jones quality-wise is like that currently it's alright with me. Season 1 looked fantastic, and perhaps this is the picture standard they want on all their releases now before we see any more.
Another thing I've been pondering regarding the quick DVD release schedules for Streets now, is that maybe the Douglas-free last season will be a MOD release (?). We know that HD transferred episodes still look great that way, like Ghost Story from Columbia recently proves.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Gary OS said:
     Quote:
I'm speaking of a decision my crystal ball revealed to me, and one that has yet to affect Perry Mason or Gunsmoke.  What's shown up at Walmart has nothing to do with what I'm speaking of.
Gary "and who mentioned Gunsmoke specifically?  Not me" O.
Very mysterious, Gary. Reading between the lines, I would suppose that maybe CBS is going to have a MOD service (I have heard that mentioned) and maybe they will fast track Gunsmoke on MOD so that fans won't have to wait another thirteen years to get the complete series.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
BobO'Link said:
Not quite... Season 1 of The Beverly HIllbillies has had PD releases and a "official" release from MPI (aka "The Ultimate Collection" V1 & V2 plus the separate Christmas crossover episode) but not CBS/Paramount. None of the S1 releases by others were truly done properly. I'd love to see an official CBS/Paramount release of S1.
Me too on the season 1 redo, although I think that CBS said when the prior sets were released that they had no plans to revisit season 1. There may be a music rights hangup as the Henning family owns those and their deal with MPI does not seem to have expired yet. The situation with the Beverly Hillbillies on DVD is really messed up, and I think only some significant effort from Linda Kaye Henning will ever repair it.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
JoeDoakes said:
Very mysterious, Gary. Reading between the lines, I would suppose that maybe CBS is going to have a MOD service (I have heard that mentioned) and maybe they will fast track Gunsmoke on MOD so that fans won't have to wait another thirteen years to get the complete series.
That would make sense in a way if the half-hour version was entirely taken care of as a retail title and then the hour long version which is fourteen seasons could be done MOD for efficiency sake.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
JoeDoakes said:
Me too on the season 1 redo, although I think that CBS said when the prior sets were released that they had no plans to revisit season 1. There may be a music rights hangup as the Henning family owns those and their deal with MPI does not seem to have expired yet. The situation with the Beverly Hillbillies on DVD is really messed up, and I think only some significant effort from Linda Kaye Henning will ever repair it.
Yes, but what about the remaining seasons- and they're in COLOR!!

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Mr. Pacino said:
It´s so great what´s happening with "Streets of San Francisco" at the moment.
I´m waiting that CBS/Paramount will continue with Matt Houston, Cannon, Jake and the Fatman and Barnaby Jones.
To this very moment, I´m still wondering why CBS/Parmount released "Cannon-Season 1+2" in such a horrible quality.
The picture quality makes me speechless.....
Would you prefer not to have it at all? Remastering costs a lot of money and when it comes to shows of marginal sales potential, its just not going to happen. There has to be some imperative reason for a remaster, whether its a big cable sale, like The Virginian or a strong overseas market or a huge DVD sales potential. Cannon falls under none of those categories.

MCCLOUD

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
Any idea how much it would cost CBS Paramount to remaster a Season of Cannon with 24-25 approxmitately 51 minute episodes? Also, CBS Paramount has remastered other series with what I would think would have similar sales potential as Cannon. In fact CBS remastered the 1st Season of Barnaby Jones. Maybe one day they will continue both remastered. Also, I know different studios use different terms for remastered and have different standards, costs,etc. It seems to me that Warner Archives has been releasing lots of movies, etc, that they claim to have been remastered. A lot of these I think would really have a limited market potential, much less than Cannon or Barnaby Jones. I know CBS Paramount is a different studio with different standards, etc. but if they do start a MOD program do you think it might increase the chances of getting Cannon and Barnaby Jones remastered? Thanks!
God Bless!
Robert

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
I think it could go both ways, if they go MOD for real they may see less idea in remastering and simply release what they have as they have it, although the aforementioned Ghost Story from Sony's remastered and is what I'd call a cult title much less remembered by the mass audience than Cannon or Barnaby Jones. Both of those had substantial original runs after all; Cannon five seasons and Barnaby Jones a staggering eight. I'd say there's always a chance although in Cannon's case they'd probably start from the beginning, would be strange to move to the last three seasons and not transfer the first two to HD as well. Couldn't see that happening, so if they clean them up it'd open up for a possible re-release of the first two Cannon seasons although those may make more (economic) sense as MODs then.

Stephen Wight

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen
Kasey said:
There was an issue with a music clearance a few years ago and CBS got sued, which may explain why "Family Ties" has been stalled. They had to pay out a lot of $.
I think they're not releasing any more seasons because of that,despite the previous seasons selling well. Unfortunately,we have to suffer because somebody at CBS/Paramount didn't do their research and take care of all music clearances.

Sky Captain

Second Unit
Real Name
Neville Ross
MattPeriolat said:
My big problem is, quite honestly, so many shows for the 50s through the 70s that I know zero about. Just never saw them in syndication or never heard of them. I spend some evenings flipping through Wikipedia articles trying to learn about these shows and it just does not carry the same weight as getting to see them.
Same here; half of these shows I'd only found out about when I stared surfing and using Wikipedia ( a favorite site of mine) a while back. Most of these shows were short lived and were never rerun because of that; some, like The Defenders lasted quite long but were not rerun that much, or in my case, not where I was living as a kid-and I (born in 1968) saw a lot of reruns of old shows growing up. Not the ones mentioned, and not enough, it seems, because then the video companies would have a reason to put them on DVD. And that's the crux and rub of the matter.

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
More CBS news - both parts of season 5 Rawhide coming Sept 18:
http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Rawhide-Season-5/17147
Hope some more Love Boat comes before Christmas!!

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Although I've broadened my horizons about TV westerns in ways I never thought possible thanks to DVD releases, "Rawhide" remains one of the few titles I just never find impressive compared to others. But obviously, those that enjoy it should be excited by the news and I hope for them, that this time CBS went back to remastering the episodes which they didn't do with S4 as I recall.
And yes, we do need to see "Love Boat" restarted especially since they have a bunch of seasons already remastered in HD lying in wait!

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
Yes, the Season 4 release was disgraceful. Hopefully for Season 5, the visual quality will be improved.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks