What's new

Is breaking in a Plasma for 100+ hrs a myth? (1 Viewer)

Dean L

Stunt Coordinator
I have read on "other" forums to get the best performance from a plasma is to break it in with a special DVD at lower settings for its first 100+ hours.
Have any of you done this?
Have any of you not bothered and had no problems with your plasma?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
When I got mine last year, I simply zeroed out all the video settings (brightness, contrast, sharpness, color, etc), and did the 100 hour break-in.

Some people simply leave their plasma on for 4-5 days straight to get through the 100 hours. I ended up just turning the TV off when I didn't watch it, so it took about 2 weeks to get to 100 hours at the zeroed out video settings.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I don't think it's as much about performance, as avoiding any *future* issues with burn in and image retention.

Btw, you don't need a special DVD for this. Just use lowered settings for your normal viewing, then calibrate either by eye or with a calibration disc.

I did it myself. It's not that tough.

Father John A

Stunt Coordinator

It was my understanding that the "break-in" disc going around isn't special per se but simply fills the screen and has been authored to run for at least 16 hrs. without fear of a puase or menu screen.

That said, the new generation of plasmas must be much tougher, I've read countless posts by people who never to a break-in period. I do however plan on doing it as I have 4 kids and the portential for problems is exponential.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks