Is breaking in a Plasma for 100+ hrs a myth?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Dean L, May 22, 2008.

1. Dean L

Dean L Stunt Coordinator

I have read on "other" forums to get the best performance from a plasma is to break it in with a special DVD at lower settings for its first 100+ hours.
    Have any of you done this?
    Have any of you not bothered and had no problems with your plasma?

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

When I got mine last year, I simply zeroed out all the video settings (brightness, contrast, sharpness, color, etc), and did the 100 hour break-in.

Some people simply leave their plasma on for 4-5 days straight to get through the 100 hours. I ended up just turning the TV off when I didn't watch it, so it took about 2 weeks to get to 100 hours at the zeroed out video settings.

3. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I don't think it's as much about performance, as avoiding any *future* issues with burn in and image retention.

Btw, you don't need a special DVD for this. Just use lowered settings for your normal viewing, then calibrate either by eye or with a calibration disc.

I did it myself. It's not that tough.

4. Father John A

Father John A Stunt Coordinator

It was my understanding that the "break-in" disc going around isn't special per se but simply fills the screen and has been authored to run for at least 16 hrs. without fear of a puase or menu screen.

That said, the new generation of plasmas must be much tougher, I've read countless posts by people who never to a break-in period. I do however plan on doing it as I have 4 kids and the portential for problems is exponential.