What's new

Is anyone still playing METROID PRIME (1 Viewer)

Peter Loan

Second Unit
Dome, I'd like some tips on the Omega Pirate. I gave up on the game a few weeks ago because he was kicking my ass. My problem is that most of my attacks don't hit his armor.

Jeffrey D Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Not that I recall. The N64 used the external (i.e. plug-in)rumble packs, the original Dual Shock (w/ internal rumble) was introduced during the PSX life cycle.
You are correct. I worded my post poorly. I meant that Nintendo first brought the rumble feature to consoles. I doubt Sony would have ever bothered to put it in if it wern't for Nintendo.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
How to beat Omega Pirate on Hard Mode
There's one huge caveat though: a lot of luck is involved (you'll find out why soon enough). This stategy is very similar to the one I posted in the other thread, but this one has slight variations.
How to blow up Phazon armor
There are two ways of doing this:
1. Lock onto one of four Phazon armor deposits and get close to the Omega Pirate, but don't get too close. If you get too close, he'll swipe at you. If you're too far, he'll shoot bombs at you, which cause a crap load of damage. Using the Plasma cannon and holding strafe, keep shooting at him and walking away from him at a diagonal. Even when he's got his shields up, keep shooting. For every three to four shots you take, quickly dash (using B) to the side and away from him. You'll occasionally end up in a pool of Phazon which will take away some energy, but that's a better alternative to other types of damage you can take in this fight. Keep repeating this. Shoot 3-4 times, then dash to the side and away.
When he charges for a ground shock attack, stand still and do a double jump over the waves. Keep shooting the entire time. You'll get his armor away in some time. And yes, you're left finger will go numb from holding down the strafe button this entire time. Occasionally, he'll get close to swipe at you, and this is where you go into Morph ball mode and Boost away.
2. This is the way I would do it, but it's also the hardest to explain. You basically do the same exact thing, except you alternate between Super Missiles and the Plasma Cannon (this depends on your missile supply).
In this particular strategy, you keep aiming (using the R button) at him, keep using strafe (but don't shoot at him), and charge up the Super Missile. Dash intermittenly at times to keep distance. He'll charge up the shock waves. Double jump over them. After he's finished this attack, there's going to be a 1 1/2 second point where he stands absolutely still with either shoulders or knees exposed. This is when you get in one good shot with the Super Missile. It takes two Super Missile shots to blow up a Phazon armor deposit. Personally (the time I finally killed him), I used one Super Missile and used a Plasma cannon to finish off the armor segment.
What to do after the armor is gone
This is where it gets really, really hard. After the armor is gone, his "cronies" come to help him. They come with different numbers each time, and this is what I've observed.
Omega Pirate = 75%+ energy
two random Troopers
Omega Pirate = 50% - 74% energy
two to three random Troopers
Omega Pirate = 1% - 49%
three random Troopers
The key to surviving this segment (besides luck) is what you can control. This basically involves how quickly you kill the troopers. As a rule of thumb, always kill two troopers. There's also a priority list. Certain Troopers are easier to kill than others. This is my priority list, the top trooper being the easiest to kill, and the first one you should kill.
Ice Trooper
Power Trooper
Plasma Trooper
Wave Trooper
The Ice Trooper you kill with a half-charged shot of ice followed by a missile. The Power Trooper can be killed with two Super Missile shots. Kill the Plasma Trooper with one charged shot followed by consecutive blasts of regular Plasma shots. Kill the Wave Trooper with half-charged wave shots.
The reason you only want to kill two troopers at the most is because you don't want to get too wrapped up in fighting them. After killing two troopers, turn on X-Ray and look for Omega Pirate. Aim for the heart and shoot away with the Plasma Rifle. He'll disappear after some damage and reappear later. When he disappears, quickly charge up the Plasma cannon. Using your stereo's surround, listen closely to anticpate where he shows up next. When he does pop up, let go of the charged shot, and keep hammering away with the regular Plasma cannon. He'll retain his armor, and you'll have to start the process all over again.
During this time, you may have a trooper left over. You have one of two choices, depending on how quick you are. If you're quick, kill the trooper while Omega Pirate is recovering from getting his armor back. If not, there's a good chance the trooper will climb the wall and shoot at you from a distance. There's a 50% chance he'll miss his shots.
The part that involves luck
This is something you can't control at all, but you'll notice it's the difference between defeat and victory.
1. The type of troopers that show up.
If you get nothing but Ice Troopers, great. They're easy to dispose of so you can concentrate on Omega Pirate. But if you get Wave of Plasma Troopers, you're in bad shape.
2. The pickups.
The only positive that comes from killing troopers is that they drop pickups. I know in my game I was super lucky to get Ultra Energy pickups.
3. Omega Pirate sometimes kill the troopers for you.
I don't know what causes it, but I when I was playing through in normal mode, the Omega Pirate used an attack (shock wave?) and killed all the Troopers for me, leaving a bunch of pickups.
4. Troopers randomly appearing.
The troopers 9 times out of 10 show up only when the Omega Pirate calls for help after losing his armor, but Troopers will sometimes show up out of the blue for no reason.
Hope this all helps. :)

Trevor Harveaux

Stunt Coordinator
I JUST beat the Omega Pirate... I used the charged up Plasma Gun to take out the shields, takes about 3 shots and you don't waste missiles.

Ok... My gripes....

I HATE, HATE, HATE, the controller and button setup.

Controlling the morph ball can be a major pain. For example there are a few parts where you have to steer the ball on the thin hanging platform, the camera keeps changing, and the fine tune control just isn't there. Also when you go ball mode, the screen switched to wide-screen (black bars top and bottom) and generally the camera shows where you have been rather than where you are going. For example when you have to roll under the floor and the beetles grab you. Half the time I never even saw them before they got me. Annoying.

The set-up is so bad that I would suggest renting before buying. Too many times have stuff been above (or below) me shooting me, I have to stop, hit R, then hit L to strafe, then hit L again to lock on. And sometimes it doesn't lock. By the time you lock on you get hit 3-5 times. Plus the lack of free look makes the whole game feel claustrophobic. HATE IT. I'd knock the game down at least 2 points for that. GunValkerie had a better set-up IMO.

I find the controller to be WAY to small, it hurts my hands. The trigger buttons arn't nearly ar nice as the XBOX ones. For me, the perfect controller would be the XBOX controller with the button set up of the gamecube. The rest on the cube is just way to small. D-pad, freakishly small. The other yellow analog stick, so small it hurts my thumb. I've looked for larger versions, but no luck. And what's up with the super-short cord??? I've got a wave bird, but until I got that I would never play since I didn't want to sit 5 feet away from my tv.

The good....

Great level design and having to run around getting all the hidden stuff is fun. Levels felt varied enough that thy didn't feel all the same.

Creatures are neat, but feel the same after a while. Would have liked to have seem larger groups of enemies once and a while. Every room seemed to have around 7 bad guys.

Graphics for the most part are good (until you get close to them) and I like the visor effects. I liked the use of color and the weapons looked very sweet.

If this game used the XBOX controller (correctly) and had true 5.1 support, I'd give it a 10 as is... I'd rate it a 7-8. But it is the best thing out for the cube, (I only have 3 cube games, 16 Xbox, 3 PS2).

Could have been a classic, but falls short.

Ted F

Auditioning
I was half way through the game before I found out that I had to collect artifacts. I hadn't quite made it all the way to the artifact site, so I was clueless as to the scans I was reading about artifacts.. Was it self evident to everybody else? Was I just being dumb?

Morgan-I understand that its always been part of the game. I just found it somewhat tedious. Its much better now that I've acquired the Plasma Beam.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Im stuck on the Sheegoth Boss right now. Anyone have any
Keep your aim locked onto the Sheegoth boss and wait for her to expel her ice breath. You'll see something like gas or steam escape from her gills on the side of her head. Use one (two if you're quick) missiles on the gills. Repeat the process and keep on dodging her charges and ice breath.

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
Is anyone having problems with the game locking up? I had problems back in May with Rogue Leader freezing up on the Hoth level but as soon as i exchanged it for a new copy the problems ceased. Now I'm about 25% into MP and have had two lockups. I'm right around the part where The temperature abnormality has been detected near the furnace in the Chozo Ruins shortly after you get the spiderball
Last night I was in one room near that area and it locked up in first person view. Just now I was in the morph ball in a different room nearby and it locked up. Any ideas what could be causing this?I got the game for Christmas so i have no idea where and when it was purchased so I really hope it's not a defective disc. Any info?

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
My game only locks up in one spot, and that's when I return to use a transport. Oddly enough, if I save before I go, it doesn't. Maybe the game is teaching me a lesson. :crazy:

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I think I had 1 lock-up problem with Rogue Leader, but I'm not sure anymore. Other than that, no problems.

Try checking to see the lens doesn't have dust on it or the disc isn't scratched.

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
Tried it again and had no lockup problem in that area. So it appears to be random and I guess I was just unlucky the two times it occured. Stll it's annoying to see a game released with any chance of locking up(Vice City has locked up on me a handful of times too). Oh well

GlenHaag

Supporting Actor
I had one lockup on a transporter as well. It just happened one time though, I used that elevator/transporter many times after that and had no issues. Go figure.

Glen

Jason Quillen

Supporting Actor
Ok, I'm a big advocate of not cheating to get through any given videogame (as opposed to my brother who buys every strategy guide for every game he buys) but I've got a quick question about Metroid -
I'm at the point where I should be fighting the Omega Piriate, but now I'm heading back to the overworld to see if I can get another energy tank that I could see but couldn't get - so on my way out I was wondering - you know those invisible puffers? Is there anyway to scan them? I've tried to do it, but I can't and it doesnt look possible - but I'm trying to get all logbook entrys filled and I don't wanna have to replay the game just for the stupid invisible puffer scan :)
JQ

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Jason-

I suggest you get to right before the final boss before you try to scan everything. So long as you scanned every boss so far and a few key enemies, then you should be fine in terms of scans so far.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Dome-

If he's at the Omega Pirate, it's unfortunately too late for the Ice Shriekbats.

Ironically, I got them my first time through but missed a LOT, then missed them my second time and got all the other one-time scans.

Tom Fudold

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Guys, I can now join the thread, I just picked up the Cube/Mario bundle, Metroid and RE0... so, I just started playing it! Love it so far!

Tom

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks