What's new

Is anyone here studying martial arts? (1 Viewer)

JoshF

Supporting Actor
I'm resurrecting this beast to announce that I recently passed by 4th Kyu ranking exam in Goju Ryu. It was a tough test and all, but it's pretty cool to finally be working toward my brown belt.

How's everyone else's training going?

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
definately, anyone who sticks to one style of fighting is going to get their ass beat. Especially hose peopel that just box and know nothing below the abdomen

Ron C

Stunt Coordinator
Hey everyone, I'm interested in getting into martial arts myself. I just turned 21 and would like something for self defense and exercise. What would you guys suggest I go into? I live in central NJ but I don't have any idea of whats around me.

JoshF

Supporting Actor
Ron C: That's a very very common question. My best advice is to go and check out some classes in your area yourself and see what you like.
Some general things to think about as you look:
1) If you're looking to learn complete self defense right away, look for something like Krav Maga. It won't be a massive amount of exercise, but you'll learn how to defend yourself in a few months. Other styles will teach you self defense, but at different rates. We work on general self defense quite regularly in my Goju Ryu Karate class, but some karate classes are kata only, and not very good for self defense.
2) As far as exercise goes, find a class that emphasizes conditioning and fitness. In my class, we always start with a pretty brutal workout for at least 45 minutes. This keeps us in shape. The actual training is pretty aerobic as well. I've seen other classes in which students just jump right in and half of them are standing around waiting for the sensei to come by. Didn't look like hard work at all.
3) You'll want to figure out for yourself if you want to take on a more traditional martial art like karate or kung fu or a more modern one like MMA (Brazillian Jiu Jitsu) or Jeet Kun Do. The traditional ones are steeped in ritual and history, while the modern ones are more Western and laid back.
This page has some pretty decent descriptions of different martial arts. Once again, take the time to find the right class, and avoid the McDojos. Some things to avoid:
1) If they ask for a full year's membership up front.
2) If they have trophies all over the place and the sensei / teacher claims to be a "super grand-master uber super dude" even though he's fat.
3) If they tell you you'll be a black belt in a year or some other obscenely short amount of time. This is just away to get you excited and to drop your cash. If they're pooping out black belts in 12 months, you'll never learn to defend yourself there.
4) If they talk trash about another style or dojo. This means there's some weird politics going on, and you should probably avoid that.
5) If the classes are huge, you won't get the attention you deserve.
6) If the black belts are jerks, you'll probably come to loathe the classes.
Take your time and find your way.

Matt Gordon

Supporting Actor
Great post, Josh. Thanks. :emoji_thumbsup:
Maybe someday life will slow down and I'll be able to take some classes. But probably not. :)

JoshF

Supporting Actor
Matt: Just do it. You have more time than you think. I get it in with a NYC lifestyle and schedule.
There is no spoon, grasshopper. :)

Ron C

Stunt Coordinator
Just found this old threat, might as well give an update :)
I just tried out this place down the street from my house. The instructor teaches JKD, Filipino Kali, and Kenpo, as well as law enforcement tactics(he has been with the county sheriffs dept for 17 years, been studying ma for 24 years). He also attends workshops hosted by Dan Inosanto and has lots of videos and stuff about him.
The classes are very small - about 6 or 7 people. The place has been open for about six months and the instructor teaches it part time after work. I tried out the class and really liked it. He charges $100/month total for my brother and myself. I'm amazed I found this place within walking distance.

Calvin_Su

Stunt Coordinator
Just had shoulder arthroscopic surgery 10 days ago, looking forward to going back to BJJ training in 4 months!!

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Is anyone here studying martial arts?
Studied Shotokan on and off for years, but I haven't done anything in...10 years :eek:. I refused to take up another martial art till I got my black belt in Shotokan (always got close but no cigar), but there no such dojos in my area now. I finally gave in and decided to try Kyokushin, the only other thing of interest in the area, checked out a class but it's not for me: For someone used to the strict form of Shotokan, Kyokushin seemed very sloppy. More, the Sensei seemed unwilling to put them through the grinder. Bleh.
--
H

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
I recently started taking boxing lessons. I've taken both TKD and Aikido before and I feel boxing is much, MUCH more effective. The power you can throw with the right punch is crazy compared to anything I was studying with the other two arts. I think people who brush boxing off as ineffective should take a month's worth of lessons at a great gym.
If anyone in the DC area is interested, come join us on Wed nights @ 830pm here. I go to the gym regularly and thought I was in shape until I went to this class. :)

D. Scott MacDonald

Supporting Actor
I studied Tang Soo Do in my twenties and earned my first dan. Then I got married, had kids, and fell hopelessly out of shape.
A few years ago (after a 13 year break) I decided to get back into the martial arts because it was the only exercise that I have ever actually enjoyed. I attended a Tang Soo Do class, but realized that it would be more fun to learn a bunch of new stuff.
Anyway, I'm now studying Universal Kempo and I enjoy it very much. While it is less traditional (it hasn't been practiced the same way for the past 1000 years), it has a good mixture of everything (punching, kicking, grappling, submission, weapons, dirty moves, etc.) and makes for a very fun workout. I even got a co-worker to join so we can literally kick each other in the groin when we get mad at each other :).
At my age, I'm not doing any of this to get into the ring and I don't seriously expect to get in any fights (at least I haven't yet). Nonetheless, I certainly believe that my regiment seriously helps my chances if I were even in such an altercation (but I train because I enjoy it).
>I think people who brush boxing off as ineffective should take a month's worth of lessons at a great gym.
I've been thinking of doing just that. I've certainly trained on the heavy bag enough and have done enough sparing to see the serious potential of a good boxing workout.

PhillJones

Second Unit
I hesitate to post in this thread as it seems to have turned into my sensei could beat up your sensei.

I have a 1st dan in Tae kwon Do. Not kukiwon syllabus though, I train at J H Kim's in Boston. I took it up for flexibility, fitness and as a joint interest to take up with my then fiancee (now wife).

I've never been in a fight, ever, so will never know how much my training has improved my ability to defend myself but I use the core strength and flexibility I gain from it all the time. For example, it helps me balance when I walk on the ice in these New England winters.

KurtEP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kurt
PhillJones said:
I hesitate to post in this thread as it seems to have turned into my sensei could beat up your sensei.
Heh. This martial art versus that martial art discussions get far more contentious than HD-DVD and Blu Ray or even politics sometimes. Plus, they've been going on for years with no resolution.
My background: 10 years Shaolin KF plus miscellaneous experience in KunTao and Aikijutsu. Oh, and toss a generous helping of weightlifting on top of that. Unfortunately, it's been quite a while since I've been able to train the MA, mostly due to a job that involved an absurd amount of travel. Hopefully, I'll have time to get back to it in the future, as I always enjoyed the fighting.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
A few years ago I studied Hapkido for a few months and really enjoyed it. I have a bit of a banged up back, and found that this didn't really bother it too much, despite my horrendous shape and all the bendy contortions I typically ended up in.
I think people who brush boxing off as ineffective should take a month's worth of lessons at a great gym.
I've been thinking of doing just that. I've certainly trained on the heavy bag enough and have done enough sparing to see the serious potential of a good boxing workout.
Interesting this was brought up. I have a friend whos been into different martial arts for 20 years or more, who recently joined a boxing gym for the heavy bags and found that a lot of the boxers would probably fair better in a "real world" fight then many of the people he's seen in different martial arts, based on most fights are over and done within 15-30 seconds.
Anyways, not trying to start a genital measuring contest, just an observation. ;)

KurtEP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kurt
I doubt you'd find too many people in a boxing gym that aren't tough. Unfortunately, I can't say the same about the vast majority of MA gyms I've worked out in. I'd love to have the opportunity to learn it sometime. Unfortunately, the good gyms always seem to be in the worst parts of town where ever I've been. Of course, that gives you plenty of opportunity to practice after class. :laugh:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks