Is anyone going to see....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Martin Jeeves, Sep 13, 2001.

1. Martin Jeeves

Martin Jeeves Supporting Actor

Is anyone going to see 'THE GLASS HOUSE'. A thriller starring DIANE LANE and LEELEE SOBIESKI? Anyone heard anything about this one?
    Also, I noticed that the KEANU REEVES film 'HARDBALL' also stars DIANE LANE. Isn't it a bit rare to release films with the same stars on the same day?
    Also I guess unfortunately for Ms Lane, due to the far more important and horrible events of the week, both will likely make very little impression.
    Just to add, that as a U.K. citizen I would like to send my condolences to all Americans about the tragic and sickening events of Tuesday. In the U.K. we are still in complete shock at what we have seen on our T.V.'s. OUR THOUGHTS ARE WITH YOU.
    ------------------
    M.J.

2. Mark Pfeiffer

Mark Pfeiffer Screenwriter

I don't know that I'd call Diane Lane a star in the sense that she doesn't open films. Her roles in both pictures are supporting, and it just happens to be coincidence that they're coming out now.
    I've seen The Glass House, and it mostly works as glossy thriller. I could have done without the very last incident, which I thinks plays to the audience's worst impulses, but it's not bad.
    ------------------
    Read my reviews at www.dvdmon.com
    Most recent reviews: Mississippi Mermaid, Un Flic, How to Get Ahead in Advertising: The Criterion Collection, WarGames, Open Your Eyes, Waiting for Guffman, Maelstrom
    Most recent column: Panning P&S

3. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    I adore Diane Lane (still one of the most gorgeous actresses working today), but I don't plan to see either. If I was going to see one, it would be Hardball.

4. Martin Jeeves

This may be of interest to anyone who likes Diane -
    http://hometown.aol.com/kburke3671/directory.html
    Apparently, she has the lead role in a high profile thriller co-starring Richard Gere called 'Unfaithful'. Maybe, this film will finally make her the star she should already be (I can't really recall her ever being given the chance to 'open' a film). Anyone?
    Take care,
    ------------------
    M.J.

5. Martin Jeeves

I think the movies this week will do better than expected. People will try and get some normalicy back and try to escape the dreadful events of the week.
    Take care everyone.
    ------------------
    M.J.

6. Martin Jeeves

I'm so pleased for Diane Lane that both 'Hardball' and 'The Glass House' have managed to do respectable business despite the circumstances. It shows that the American people are determined to get back to normality (i.e. sports, movies, other everyday stuff) and bounce back from the tragedies of last week, stronger than ever.
    I think with the only new release next week being the dubious 'Glitter', both 'Hardball' and 'The Glass House' stand a chance of becoming profitable hits. Apparently the CinemaScore exit polls for both films were excellent so word of mouth should hold-up.
    I'm looking forward to Diane Lane in 'Unfaithful'. It sounds really, really good!
    ------------------
    M.J.

7. Ricky f

Ricky f Supporting Actor

8. Paul Chi

Paul Chi Stunt Coordinator

I was watching Ebert and Roeper last night and they absolutely hated this film and that the plot was a joke. But you can never trust these guys. Personal opinions are the best.

9. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

I also think Diane Lane is quite gorgeous, and a rather underrated actress to boot. Sure, she's no Meryl Streep (thank the Lord), but she's done some solid work in stuff like Chaplin, The Outsiders...Streets of Fire...Six Pack...
    Wow, she's been in some real slop! It was nice to see her in a hit last summer!
    ------------------
    Scott
    Check out my Movie Reviews at Epinions. Help support my debilitating DVD addiction!
    AOL IM: TheAngryJew29

10. Martin Jeeves

I think that 'HARDBALL' and 'THE GLASS HOUSE' may hold onto 1 and 2 this week as the word of mouth has been good.
    Here is some info on Diane Lane's new (and apparently very erotic) film 'UNFAITHFUL'.
    http://www.premiere.com/Premiere/Sho...nfaithful.html
    Sounds cool!
    ------------------
    M.J.

11. Brad_W

Brad_W Screenwriter

Technically, I haven't seen the movie. Trailer-wise, I have seen the movie and hated it. The answer to your question, no.
    ------------------
    "I was born to murder the world." -Nix (Lord of Illusions)
    My Home Page http://www.geocities.com/masternix/DVD.html

12. Martin Jeeves

For those interested boxoffice for these is:
    HARDBALL - $20 million
    THE GLASS HOUSE - $12 million
    With the good word of mouth on these I'm guessing at total grosses to be in the region of:
    HARDBALL - $40 million +
    THE GLASS HOUSE - $25 million
    Which are O.K. grosses I reckon.
    ------------------
    M.J.

13. Martin Jeeves

A contact at Fox said that 'UNFAITHFUL' was gonna be MAJOR next year! Maybe this will be the
    movie to make Diane Lane a star?

14. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    To all you Diane Lane lovers out their, the movie she was absolutly THE hottest in was Lady Beware! [​IMG] [​IMG]
    ------------------
    God bless the USA and the men and woman of our military and their families!

15. Tom-G

Tom-G Screenwriter

I still like Diane Lane, but she is starting to hit the wall. She didn't look so good in The Perfect Storm and in the previews I've seen for Hardball.
    Even so, I'd still...um never mind. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    As for the bad rap about the characters--hey, I've seen space operas that put their emphasis on human personalities and relationships. They're called "Star Trek" movies. Give me transparent underwater cities and vast hollow senatorial spheres any day. --Roger Ebert on The Phantom Menace

16. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

Saw The Glass House last night because I love Leelee and Diane.
    Loving them was not a good reason to lose those two hours of my life.
    Jim

17. Martin Jeeves

Diane's in the money...$3 million for 'Unfaithful'! Way to go girl!
    http://www.zap2it.com/custom/compone...6,3578,00.html
    ------------------
    M.J.