What's new

Is anyone considering buying Pebble? (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Paul, I am with you. I think it would be great to have a watch that is connected to the phone. As I keep my phone either in my pocket or in my belt holster, it's far more convenient to just glance at my wrist for incoming alerts rather than to have to pull out a device. Glad I didn't jump on Pebble now knowing that Apple and Samsung are racing to market their own watches. It should be very interesting over the next year to see what these companies come up with.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

I am not particularly fond of the look of this device but you can read about the
new Androidly here.
I think anyone considering purchasing one of these is best to wait to see what
Apple does first.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Not only is that butt ugly and clunky looking, it's a bad photoshop job, which means the real deal may look a great deal worse.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Ronald Epstein said:
David, Please let us know what you think of Pebble. I came close to purchasing it, but I think I am going to wait to see what Apple comes up with.
WIll do. I stopped wearing watches a long time ago, but I used to love wearing them and like many here I prefer a good looking analog.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein
The idea of watching videos on your watch is ridiculous. GPS maps is a good idea, tho. Maybe they'll be limiting sales too much by making them accessories to phones, but Joe Consumer is probably going to want to play Angry Birds on these things and sales will tank because of the complaints about usability.
One iPod Nano watch bands came out Apple really should have realized the potential and offered a limited selection of apps. More expansive health monitors than Nike, GPS, email readability (tho responding would require voice recognition, i would think), etc.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Finally got my Pebble Time Steel a few weeks back. They are behind in making their steel bands so they shipped just the leather one, which is too small for my wrists. I wound up getting black steel band from truffol, which is beautiful and inexpensive, and was a link or two too small for me. I wrote em a Q on Amazon feedback and within 2 days they had shipped me 3 extra links. I installed 2 and the watch was too BIG for me, a first. Took one link out and it works great now.

Still evaluating the Pebble itself. I'm not really sure why I even backed it since I haven't worn a watch daily and I knew that the Apple watch would be introduced shortly after the Kickstarter ended, but I did and I'm commited to giving it a good workout.

So far I have found an interesting watch face which shows temp and weather and battery in addition to the digital time, and I like that. Notifications are weird. I don't mind the ones I get buzzed on my phone for (baseball, football, texts, and 2 idle games) but having those buzz my wrist is jarring so far. Will see if I get used to em or just limit it to text messages.

I don't have any other apps installed. Any recommendations?

Also, 2 days after my Time arrived, Pebble announced Round:
https://blog.getpebble.com/2015/09/23/timeround/

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
I got a BB gift card for Xmas and decided I wanted to retire my Fitbit Charge and try out the Pebble Time since it was selling for a decent price and I liked its size and the features seemed to be something I'd like to try out.

So I got it and wore it for a couple of days and finally had to return it becuase there were just to many annoyances. One being the screen. I had read it was dim, but wow, it is just WAY too dim to be of much use, especially bad in darker rooms. Then as much as I thought I'd like having buttons to push to activate features, it became quite annoying after mere minutes. By end of day 2 I'd had enough and returned it.

I have since snagged a Zenwatch 2 45mm smartwatch to compliment my Zenfone 2 and so far I am extremely happy with my decision. It is SO much nicer having the ability to just swipe to read notifications etc. Not to mention being able to see a nice colorful BRIGHT screen. It has some great features and I'm still getting used to things, but for the money, it's a great "bang for teh buck" smartwatch IMO.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Absolutely a bummer. The Time Steel, along with Pebble's ecosystem, was a perfect balance of smartwatch and fitness tracker for me and I was really looking forward to the Time 2. Now all I'm getting, hopefully, is a refund of my Time 2/Core Kickstarter pledge.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Thing I hated most, aside from the screen being too dim was having to push all the buttons to get info you wanted. I like that I can just tap, talk to, or rotate my smartwatch and be presented with all kinds of info, be it fitness related, emails, texts, directions etc.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Funny, the button-based functionality is one of my favorite things about the PTS. ;) It's a moot point now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks