What's new

Is an SVS PB10 worth $280 more than 12in Dayton? (1 Viewer)

Rob White

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Guys,

Narrowing down my subwoofer purchase. The budget 12in. Dayton sub just went up in price from $126 to around $150. To be honest, the front grill looks a little cheap. I've got a 3 year-old boy who will probably end up kicking a ball into it a few hundred times before he's 5 years-old.

What I'm thinking now is should I just go ahead and spend aound $280 more and get the SVS PB10 that at least appears to be more solidly made. What do you think?

Gaming/TV/Music is probably 60/30/10 for me. I don't need super loud movies. Not a huge sci-fi or action movie guy. What I want from a subwoofer is nice tight bass. It doesn't have to be earthshattering.

Maybe I should go with the HSU STF-1 or STF-2 instead...

What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
Rob

p.s. I also have a thread asking about the new SVS 5.1 system. Wondering if anyone has had a chance to hear the bookshelf speakers yet.

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
I would go with the 20-39 PCI, I believe its amp is a little more powerful, goes deeper and plays slightly louder and has a smaller footprint with both speaker and line inputs.

Ron Temple

Stunt Coordinator
SVS maybe overkill for your application. It plays sources accurately. If the source has awe inspiring LFE you're going to get it. Smooth jazz, you'll hear the string plucks. Bump you'll get bumps. You might not need this for gaming and TV. I'll guarantee you'll want it once you hear it though. The 20-39 is the better deal...

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Rob,

While I haven't owned the Dayton sub, I've owned plenty of subs - and made plent of 'em too. The PB10-ISD is truly an impressive sub. I use mine for music and movies. It is a great performer and I've stopped thinking about other subs (whether it was building a new one or finding/buying a new one.) The SVS fits the bill. :)

Rob White

Stunt Coordinator
So everyone so far feels that I should go with either:
-new SVS PB10 or
-used[/b] SVS 20-39

but not the HSU sub.

1) Should I be worried about buying the 20-39 used from audiogon? In the end, it would cost me $460 (that's with shipping). The PB10 would cost me $470 (that's with shipping). So the end price would be the same. I wouldn't be able to see/hear the 20-39 before buying it.

2) Or should I just save a bunch of money and go with the Dayton 12in for $163 (that's with shipping).

3) One last thought. The used 20-39 is listed as 399 or best offer, so I might be able to get it for less.

4) The last of all the last thoughts: I like the idea of the flat top of the PB10 because my wife could put something on it (picture frame, kids toy, etc.). It also looks very solid.

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
Its a simply choice IF you're making it based on the look of the units. Its night and day box vs. cylinder, all other things being equal SVS' warranty follows the unit irrespective of who the owner is. In other words that 20-39 PCI is probably still under warranty. But if you want to play it safe then buy a new PB10. BTW you mentioned that you have not heard a 20-39 so should we assume that you've heard a PB10? And the while the Dayton is a good unit I very much doubt that it is anywhere near the league of any SVS sub.

berk@g

Auditioning
while i love to make a 'smart buy' and save some money, i find it terribly difficult to buy something that i know is not top notch. with that said, the pb10 is known as the best sub for the money- all things considered. it's a much better investment for the future of you A/V system than the dayton.

Rob White

Stunt Coordinator
Reginald,

I haven't heard any of the subs that I'm looking at. The 20-39 is used. I said I hadn't heard it, meaning the guy selling it is in another state (so I can't listen to it before I buy it).

Rob

Craig

Second Unit

Me either, but I'm really glad I bought my SVS 20-39. You'll be surprised how much bass you're missing once you get a really good sub. Scenes that have subway trains passing, large boats going past, or even a herd of horses running by are likely to have a lot of bass these days. It's something you end up feeling as much as hearing, and you don't have to be using super loud listening levels to hear and feel it either.

Your sub is going to be working no matter what you're listening to or how loud your playback level is. A really good sub like SVS, Hsu, etc will make a big difference.

Rob White

Stunt Coordinator
Leaning towards to the PB10 right now. In fact, I think I'd order it today if I thought it wouldn't completely freak out with the size. I've tried to explain that she could use it for picture frames or that we could put a kid's toy box on it, but when push comes to shove we don't have a ton of room for it. I also wish the shipping were cheaper (around $60).

Rob

MichaelPR

Second Unit
Rob this is a great sub. I have heard both and own the PB10 It is truely amazing. It comes in a very large box and weighs like 80 pounds I think. It is really not all that big though and it doesn't even look like speaker equipment in my setup it's just an end table....hehe

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
I've owned both the 20-39 and currently the PB-10. They are both awesome, and I usually refer to the PB-10 as a little 'freak' cause I can't believe how good it is for the money. You can't go wrong with either, my friend. If your wife takes issue, just take her out and let her spend a couple hundred bucks on something nice for herself, for 'being so loving and understanding' :D :emoji_thumbsup:

Tim Holyoke

Second Unit
Thought I'd hijack this thread so I don't clutter up the board with another "what sub should I buy" thread ;)...

I've basically decided to build my HT up from scratch instead of going the HTiB route. My reasoning (for spending more money :D) is that hopefully with some good selections of individual components, I'll get a much longer life out of my entire HT.

So this thread interested me because it's basically the same boat I'm in - spend less now for a "decent" sub (I really have no idea...just going on what other people have said - I think) in the Dayton, or spend maybe a little more than I'd like to now but get a sub that will be great for years.

My decision is contingent on one thing - is an SVS going to be a high quality sub for years and years? I don't want to get into a position where I'm forking over $400 or $500 or whatever and have a sub that will not be that great in a couple years.

Keep in mind that I'm not an audiophile by any means. The best HT I've ever listened to is an Onkyo 570 HTiB...and it's also the only one. I actually think the Onkyo sounds fine, not particularly powerful, but a clean sound. I also don't listen to much music - it'd be 95% movies and TV. But I do like listening to those quite loud...the Onkyo doesn't stretch near far enough to satisfy my eardrums.

What do you think? Would an SVS (again, I haven't started to research this at all, I just came in here to start doing that, and came across this thread...I have no idea what the difference between a Dayton and an SVS is, other than a few hundred dollars) be overkill if it's just for TV/movies, and I'm an "untrained" ear? Or would it be a good investment that could carry my HT for years to come?

OK, that's way too much to write while in a drunken stupor...hopefully I haven't said anything that I'll have to edit out in the morning.

Thanks for any advice (and sorry for hijacking your thread Rob :b).

Tim

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
Tim,

SVS' least expensive subs can hang and/or outgun subd that cost much, much more. So don't worry about quality and longevity when buying a SVS sub.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

Tim,

You are in the driver's seat here, buddy. The SVS PB10 will be a capable sub for years to come ... unless, you get bitten by the upgrade bug. Sure, there will be better, faster and probably cheaper, but if you're content with your purchase, then, you'll be good to go for some time.

The PB10 will leave you quite content. I couldn't believe the performance for a 10" driver. However, lots of factors could determine your happiness (or unhappiness). Not sure of your room dimensions, intended use for the sub (movies, music?), etc.

OK, I'm babbling. Time to head back to bed.

Tim Holyoke

Second Unit
Thanks guys...the room it'll be in now (but only for the next few months) is smallish - 12'x 14'. After that it'll be in a little bigger room, and within a few years I'll be building a dedicated HT which will be it's ultimate home.

Like I said I don't listen to a lot of music, so it'd be used for probably 70/30 TVs/DVDs, with the very occasional cd or concert DVD.

I definitely value quality over quantity, though I do like to crank things up once in a while.

I'll have to start doing some reading and figure it out...I may very well always be satisfied with something like the Dayton or similar, I just want to get something that I know I'll be content with for years (FWIW: I'm a huge tightwad, just graduated college, and have been putting off spending money on A/V gear for 5 years so I could buy "good" things after college).

Thanks again.

Tim

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
Tim,

sometimes it's better to buy better upfront than later. Some people consider it a waste of money and time buying lower level gear then getting rid of it to upgrade later. Some people are perfectly happy with entry level gear, while others would wonder what if? Some people like to experiment with entry level gear before they take that next step up. Others simple don't have the money or think more costly gear is worth it financially or from the auditory angle. Only you know what works for you so the ball is definately in your court. Game on? ;)

BTW I got a 16-46 PCI when SVS first started selling them because I wanted something that would play extremely low with authority and I have yet to be disappointed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kisanwiki
Recent bookmarks