Is a speckled screen the norm? (56" DLP)

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Nick-N, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Nick-N

Nick-N Agent

I have a Samsung 5687. I've had it for about 4 months and the TV repair guys are coming for the 5th time thisevening. I've pretty much given up hope by this point that I will be satisfied with this thing despite all the great reviews I read for it. (However this is my first ever big TV so it's possible I expected too much.)

Anyway, at first it had a black shadow on one corner of the screen. The rest of the picture looked really good. They put in a completely new projector. This got rid of the shadow, but I was not happy with the picture. It seemed grainier and noisier than before - and color gradients in low light were blocks of color with edges rather than a smooth transition. And the actual screen seemed to have a speckled appearance, looking like hundreds of little black dots on bright or white screens. Plus there were some bright patches on black screens.

When the TV guys came out again, they did not acknowledge the speckliness, noise, or color blocking, even though it's obvious (when I watch the same DVD on my PC, the low light color gradient is smooth - not 2 or 3 colors with sharp edges). It was very frustrating, they denied what I was pointing out to them. They did however see the bright patches, and decided that these were caused by the screen. So they came out and replaced the screen. No change. And the whites look specklier than ever. There is even a grey smudge on white screens now that wasn't there before.

After the screen made no difference, they are coming out again to replace the projector a 2nd time in order to get rid of the bright patches. But before they come I want to know if the speckled screen is a problem or just inherent to DLP screens.

I don't understand it - on a PC a white screen is just white. Even though you are much closer. Here is an image showing the effect I'm talking about (PC white on the left, my Samsung's "white" on the right):

[​IMG]

I'm also curious if others have the color blockiness (I've played with the settings, doesn't help). DVDs look better on my PC, it surely can't be this way!!

2. Nick-N

Nick-N Agent

*bump*

TV guys coming later..