What's new

Is a show Public Domain? (1 Viewer)

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
I'm posting this for Jimmyjet's convienience, since I was trying to find out if a rumor I heard about Quinn Martin's 12 o Clock High being public domain was true or not. (It Wasn't!)

Kronosis led me to where I could find out who has the Copyright on a Show.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
http://cocatalog.loc.gov/cgi-bin/doctitles.cgi?V3487D588

i am taking this to mean that the ozzie and harriet show is not in public domain ?

although it does not look like the estate owns it.

Viper

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Fisk
Originally Posted by Mark Talmadge

Now, if you're referring to DVD-r's that Amazon sells, those are not bootleg releases since they have an exclusive agreement to release the series to DVD-r from the studio who will release that series to DVD. Since the sets have yet to be officially manufactured, they are not bootlegs.
I just ordered a CD like that. Amazon supposedly burns the Vampires soundtrack on demand. Why can't some place, or the studios themselves if they were smart, do this for all out of print titles? Better yet, titles that they refuse to release any other way. There are a bunch of movies I'd kill for DVDs of, but I'm stuck with VHS because they haven't been released on DVD anywhere in the world. Tons of unreleased TV shows I want too; some canceled, some long running series.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Viper

I just ordered a CD like that. Amazon supposedly burns the Vampires soundtrack on demand. Why can't some place, or the studios themselves if they were smart, do this for all out of print titles? Better yet, titles that they refuse to release any other way. There are a bunch of movies I'd kill for DVDs of, but I'm stuck with VHS because they haven't been released on DVD anywhere in the world. Tons of unreleased TV shows I want too; some canceled, some long running series.
Someone hasn't heard of the Warner Archives, have they?

www.wbshop.com

Look under "Warner Archive" for WB's burn on demand movies.

There's also rumors that TV Shows are coming eventually.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I'm a little late to this thread, but I assure you they have and will continue to have scattered incidents of unknowingly selling bootleg products directly from the retailer (In this case, Amazon) and not from 3rd party sellers, This includes media such as DVD's. The company is simply too large and there's too much product out there to prevent it 100%. Mistakes happen.

For one example that wasn't a DVD that I've personally encounterd, I recently purchased a self contained videogame console, known as a "plug & play", that contains 100 Nintendo titles from the 1980s in a self contained controller from the store shelf of a well known national drugstore chain that was carrying it in their toy department (Of course, at the time, I didn't know it contained licensed material that they didn't have the right to sell).

None of these games contained on this unit were licensed from the companies that developed them, such as Nintendo, Konami, and Capcom. All 100 titles were being illegally used and hadn't been licensed from the companies that owned the rights to them. The product was also carried by a well known national discount retailer in their over 1000 locations nationwide and online before being pulled when it was made known to them after carrying it for weeks.

Mistakes happen and things slip through by mistake sometimes. Not everyone working at Amazon involved in purchasing and stocking product is as well versed in the product lines they're carrying as some of you are here about DVD and Blu-Ray releases.

I'm not sure why you think they don't make mistakes, but they do. Every national retailer does.
Originally Posted by Mark Talmadge ">[/url]

Travis, I read what he said and that's not what he said. Here, let me quote:

[/QUOTE]Amazon, and I repeat, Amazon does not sell these bootleg items, the sellers do. Amazon simply acts as a middleman, processing the payment. That is all they do. If you buy a bootleg DVD through Amazon, the item is sent from the seller (not Amazon), if you do not receive the item, you take that up with the seller (not Amazon).

While I understand that you're trying to resolve this, Jon has an incorrect understanding of the way that Amazon and their 'Flea Market' Amazon Marketplace works. Amazon does not have this merchandise in their physical custody. The merchandise that you buy from Amazon will have a "Buy New" indicator listed on the very first line of the deal.

If the item isn't sold by Amazon but rather by a seller or by another retailer, it will list the retailer's name. The item is not send from Amazon because Amazon does not sell it. Because, if this were true, then Amazon would be getting sued by the MPAA for selling bootleg merchandise.

As it stands, if you ordered and bought a DVD from Amazon and it turned out to be bootleg, then it did not come from Amazon and that you ordered and bought it from a seller or another retailer who sold it on Amazon.

What I'm saying is that Jon is confusing two different aspects of Amazon. Trust me, those items sold by sellers do not have Amazon's logo or packaging information stuck to the mailing package. It will have the seller's address information.

I have ordered merchandise from sellers before and not a single DVD I bought from a seller had Amazon's logo on the mailer/packaging of the item.

Viper

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Fisk
Originally Posted by The Obsolete Man

Someone hasn't heard of the Warner Archives, have they?

www.wbshop.com

Look under "Warner Archive" for WB's burn on demand movies.

There's also rumors that TV Shows are coming eventually.
I hope they add more soon. I only found 1 of the titles on my unreleased list on there (Captain Sindbad). Warner owns New Line too now, don't they? At the very least, No Holds Barred should show up on there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks