What's new

Is 30 fL too much? (1 Viewer)

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
From a seating distance of 14' looking at a 106" screen will 30fL be too much brightness for 2D viewing? Tan walls and ceiling with some occasional day time viewing...

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
30 fL is pretty much an impossibility unless you are installing a dual lamp PJ with a high gain screen.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I did find the Epson, at that size, if you move it all the way up to 10' throw...gives you 30fl...moving to 12 feet drops it to 23fl.

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Im calculating 600 lumens from a JVC RS1X (calibrated) and a 2 gain from a Da Lite High Power 2.4 gain screen. Install will be optimum for a retroreflective and seating very narrow. 15' throw. According to the projector central calculator thats about 30 fL. RS1 doesnt have a variable iris...

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Yeah its a solid 15' throw and I wouldnt be surprised if a 2 gain is a little conservative considering Im going with an almost perfect install and have very narrow seating. I also know that the legacy RS1 is one of those rare projectors that actually calibrates to what is advertised as far as lumens. Still, I think thats the last time Ill use projector central's calculator for my fL. :( Thanks guys

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I used Projector Central Calc Pro... I don't know what you did different than me... Set screen at 106" Set screen gain at 2.4. Set throw at 15'. You get 18fl.

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
74164023_Untitled_zps83419237.jpeg

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Yeah, but plug the 1X into your parameters and you get 18. The 1U delivers 30. Actually going to 2, when you originally said 2.4...the 1X delivers 15fl.

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Actually in post #5 I said I calculated with 2. And that still doesnt make any sense, the RS1U is the exact same projector minus what I listed in post #13 (and neither of those extra features will affect lumens in any meaningful way). And even if they are different the RS1U is still wrong, strange...

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Then send PC an email going... "Hey y'all, I think yer calculator needs to be renamed 'Calculator Amateur'"...:chatter::chatter: Cause you know...the calculator is always right...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
the RS 1 - RS 2 PJs are quite dim to begin with. And their light output drops substantially after a few hundred hours. On a 106 inch screen, you will be lucky to have 8-10 fL after a "good break in" period.

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Its currently ceiling mounted and vertical lens shift is almost max, that reduces brightness even further than you think! Not only that, but Im throwing to a cheap 106" grey wolf screen that Ive had for years. Still, a high power and optimum retro reflective install is only temporary for the RS1X, its for sale and Im upgrading. Within the next month or so the high power will be hung, the custom wall shelf will be hung, the grey wolf will be replaced with a 106" high contrast screen, and the RS1X will be replaced. So ultimately this $277 Da Lite high power screen is the beginning of a dual screen system; a 106" high power and a 106" high contrast. The high power will be used for 3D and day time viewing while the high contrast will be my 2D and night time screen. Still making the final decision on the projector but obviously it will be brighter, 3D, and have multiple lens memory. Until this update is complete, or the RS1X sells, it will be interesting to see my beloved JVC RS1X with a high power screen and installed as it should be; almost zero lens shift. Thanks again to you both for the input.

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Wow. Its no wonder these Da-Lite High Power screens are such darlings in the home theater community, makes me regret not trying one sooner. Very impressed and the RS1X is still on the ceiling! Even more impressive is I only spent $277 shipped on a 106" and that includes extras like an additional 12" drop and black case. Gray Wolf now looks like chopped liver. Seems to me the drastic loss of gain due to viewing angle is way over-blown but perhaps it will be more obvious when I get the projector down to almost level with the screen and the gain ramps up considerably... Took delivery of my new wall shelf today and it will be getting paint in the next few days so Ill know soon enough. Until then Im amazed at how this high power screen disappears and the picture is so much cleaner :D

JOHNnNM

Grip
Real Name
John Stockton
You notice no hot spotting with the HP screen? You have to look closely, straight ahead from where ever you are sitting? I tried one for a while. I went back to plain ol matt white by preference. But I have a blinding projector these days with the 3D projector, so little to no gain is a good thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks