What's new

Irreversible DVD Canada Extras!!!! (1 Viewer)

Peter_S

Agent
This one must have slipped under the radar. I just came back from Futureshop and purchased Irreversible released by Alliance. Listed as extras are:

"Intoxication" - a short film by Gaspar Noe
Documentary about special effects
Deleted Scene
Audio Commentary by Gaspar Noe

Does anyone think that I can still return my old Lions Gate copy to Best Buy and complain about the missing special features. Also, does anyone have this yet. I want to make sure the features are really on there before I open it.

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
I don't think you can return a disc because it doesn't have the special features that a disc produced by a different company offers.

Peter_S

Agent
Actually the back of the Lions Gate DVD lists the documentary and the deleted scene as an extra feature even though they are not on the DVD itself.

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
In that case, you should have a perfect case to get your money back. Tell BB that the packaging is false-advertising. It lists stuff that isn't on the disc. I returned a disc to my local BB that was listed as OAR but was MAR upon viewing.

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor
^ The Alliance version DOES have all the extras listed.

It's the Lions Gate version that had the problem which they are now offering replacement discs for.

The Alliance version has MORE extras than the Lion's Gate version even listed that it had (short film, commentary), and the picture quality is much clearer and the subtitles are much better (crisp white, as oppossed to murky yellow.)

For once Alliance actually delivers a superior version to the American counterpart. I have to give credit where credit is due.

Peter_S

Agent
Finally broke down and opened this. Yes the extras are there. Unfortunately, the short film has no English subs. The English subs themselves are for closed captioning which makes them a little distracting. As for the transfer, I have no idea if it's the same. If someone has any info on this please let us know.

Shawn_Sek

Stunt Coordinator
this is the first i have heard of the Irreversible replacement program. what is on the corrected LIONS GATE R1 US copy (not the ALLIANCE)? obviously the making of special effects, but how about the commentary and deleted scenes? and how can you tell the difference in corrected copies in stores? can anyone else confirm that the Alliance DVD is better?

PS- is the commentary subtitled as well?

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor
Ok, this is what it says on the back of the box concerning the extras:

Short Film - Original French Language Only
Documentary about Special Effects - French with optional English subtitles
Deleted Scene - Original French Language Only
Audio Commentary - French with Optional English subtitles

Peter_S

Agent
To be honest, I cannot stand the new subs. If anyone is interested I will sell this for $23.00 US shipped. I just purchased it last night and it is in mint condition. Mods, if you feel this isn't the right outlet for this post, please feel free to delete it.

[email protected]

Marc_Savoie

Stunt Coordinator
I am very conflicted on this.
I live in Canada and ordered the US (Lion's Gate) version knowing that I'd grow impatient waiting for the Canadian (Alliance release). But now I'm considering getting the Allaince version as well... but there's conflcits:

Lion's Gate (US) version contains:
The Good
- PROPER subtitling
The Bad
- none of the promised extras

Alliace (Canada) version contains:
The Good
- ALL THE EXTRAS AND MORE (commentary) that were supposed to be on the Lion's Gate version
The Bad
- IMPROPER subtitling (closed captioning for the hearing impaired only, apparently)

Why must it be so complicated...I suppose I should own both - Lion's Gate for the film and Alliance for the extras/ commentary... ugh.

I prefer the subtitles on the Canadian version, call me crazy. I own both and the Canadian version is much sharper than the US version. I had them both playing in sync side by side in split screen mode on my widescreen TV.

True, there are no subs on the short film, and the commentary is in french, but subtitled.

I think the Alliance version is far superior, and trust me, I have wanted to detonate Alliance several times over the past year.

David Yevin

Agent
Where did you get this info from? I haven't been able to find anything about the replacements....
if you go here then making of sfx video, there are the instructions to get a replacement disc. unfortunately it looks like the replacement only adds the making of sfx feature, i believe the deleted scenes listed under the special features on the R1 will not be included.

Real Name
Anthony
Marc - I think you've got the wrong end of the stick, as they say. The closed captioning is on the short film, is it not ? The subs on the main feature are ok. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I've ordered this one from amazon.ca because I'd be really interested to hear the comm.
But I'm a bit pissed off with all this. I waited for ages for the Lion's Gate one and then, when it proved to be a balls-up, I went ahead and bought the R2. A month later, this one appears ; out of the blue as far as I can tell.
Why was there no previous mention of this release ?

I even downloaded the FX featurette, which took a while on dial-up. I'd recommend it, though, to those who aren't buying the Alliance edition ; there are more digital effects in this film than you might think and their use strikes me as rather innovative.

Marc_Savoie

Stunt Coordinator
For those with the Alliance (or both) DVD, could they please clarify that the subtitles for the main feature film are indeed wrong (i.e closed captioning only - therefore descriptive rather than just dialogue). I realize there will be NO subtitles for the short film, but I'm curious about the movie itself.

Perhaps people are assuming it's closed captioning because the subtitles are in the black blocks with white writting style as opposed to the plain yellow font????
Also hows the transfer for the Alliance DVD? I'm worried it might just be a port of the French PAL DVD like The Pianist was....
Thanks.

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
Thanks David and Tom,
I think I'll get mine sent off soon, along with the botched JP and BTTF disks I got recently....
Lots of botch ups going on lately....:thumbsdown:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks