What's new

Irrelevant fact of the day.. (1 Viewer)

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
The buttons thing - actually, it's to do with servants rather than slaves. A rich man was expected to do up his own buttons, but a rich woman had a maidservant to this for her. Tailors thus placed buttons on the side which was better for the (right handed) person expected to fasten them. Poorer people without servants copied the fashions of the rich, and women put up with something that was clearly impractical in order to look fashionable (not that that has ever happened since ...).

Incidentally, buttons are an invention of the early middle ages. Any historical drama showing e.g. Ancient Romans with buttons on their clothes is historically inaccurate.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
The Blue Whale has the biggest penis in the animal kingdom, 11 feet long!!
oh bloody hell!!:eek:
No I didn't freakin' measure it myself, I read it somewhere.
Shit and I thought I was big, oh well....;)

Rob_J

Stunt Coordinator
You are about as tall as the distance from the fingertips of one outstretched arm to the fingertips of your other outstretched arm... on average.
:)

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
Did you know that a piece of the Sun the size of a pinhead generates enough heat to kill a person from 100 miles away? HOT STUFF!!

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
ron-p, I sneeze when I'm expsoed to light! how weird!

***lollipop is the longest word that can be typed with the right hand

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
The matter that composes a white dwarf star is so dense that a pinhead sized piece of it's matter weighs several million tons.

A Daddy Longleg spider is one of the most poisonous spiders in the world, but their fangs are not large enough to penetrate anything but other insects.

Adil M

Supporting Actor
That growth on my genitals is actually a common cyst and peels off w/ the slightest friction.

Too much info, huh.

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
Did you know that the theme song for the Ally McBeal Show, "Searchin' My Soul" was first used in a video sequence in Baywatch? I believe Vonda Shepard sung the Baywatch version as well.

-Keith

Jeremy Illingworth

Supporting Actor
The reason men were to do up their own buttons is because like all rich snobs we play polo and tennis and other sports and did not have the servants follow us around to our clubs. Unlike our wives who stayed home all day wearing clothing that prohibits one from doing anything.

jeremy

Sam C

Stunt Coordinator
The body creates between a pint and a quart of gas per day ...

A household living room carpet is 7 times more dirty(has more germs) than the average sidewalk ...

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
On average, the length of a person's foot (in inches) measures the same as the distance between their inner elbow and wrist.

Rob_J

Stunt Coordinator
Diamond is the best thermal conductor we know of.

Fiber optic cables transmit light slower than the speed of light.

PatrickM

Screenwriter
People will search forever, high and low for their remote control but won't walk up to the TV to switch the channel.

Ricky Hustle

Supporting Actor
Here's another Buccaneers factoid:

No team that has ever lost to the Bucs in a season has gone on to win the Super Bowl that same year.

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
The quickest way to a man's heart is to drill a hole in his chest.
An interesting adendum to this particular fact. It has been proven that the quickest route for a redhead, at least when you are referring to women to men relationships, would be directly through his ribcage, via the fist. :D
Uhhh..... :rolleyes: Or something..
Joseph

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks