What's new

Ironside season 4 Madman (Au) tv release in june 09 - as well as from Shout (1 Viewer)

BobSchneider

Second Unit
Ok I stumble on to this on a positing on Shouts forum about madman.com Australian release of Ironside season 3 sharing members experiences of ordering are season 3 dvd set (some got them in a week mine took a month:P) Any how the last poster reported that madman was going to release Ironside season 4 on June 24 09 although he did quote his source I was able to find some confirmation on there web site Ironside - The Complete Fourth Series Which is Grooovieee news for all of us Shout abandoned Ironside fans. Which has really got to make you wonder Madman in the land down under could turn a profit on Ironside but shout in a 14 times larger market couldnt? Any how I can say that the r4 Ironside s3 release is on par with shout US s1 and s2 (r4 C+ clean up R1 b-) . And its very watchable in 4:3 on my panasonic upscaler dvd player. Very cool new from what looks like a slow release year for classic tv show on dvd.
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
What a pity their release of S3 and this upcoming S4 couldn't be region-free like the Australian release of "My Favorite Martian's" final season. And then we'd be free once and for all of the Shout albatross that's holding up further releases in this Region.

BobSchneider

Second Unit
Not really there are still alot of dvd movie titles and tv series that will most likely never release in region 1. Most phillips dvd players region free or can be activate region free with a code the one I got three years ago only set me back $39.00 and by happy accident I discover my pansonic upscale is region free player. Honestly I think any serious dvd collector has to break down and get a region free dvd player, you can not alway hope for US release of great movies and tv show.

Joe Tor1

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Torcivia
So, Shout has released IRONSIDE S3 AND S4 in Australia?

What can we do to convince them to release it here? It would seem that a fair amount of the "work" is already done, so why not?

jamoon2006

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jack Mooney

No, Shout! has NOT released Ironside in Australia. Shout reps have explained on the forum on their site that the Australian company licensed the show and the distinctive Shout artwork from Seasons 1 and 2. Shout isn't producing the releases and is not getting profit from them.

This confusion isn't helping to dispel the conspiracy theory about Shout not releasing subsequent seasons in the States. If only Ironside was selling as well here as it appears to be down under, we might have seen more releases from Shout by now.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
If Timless only had the license instead of Shout we'd probably have as much out here as Australia does.

BobSchneider

Second Unit

Well honestly I kind of don't really buy shouts explanation, if you have the r4 s3 release shouts name is everywhere on the madman set. So it very easy to see why many US fans see it as Shout's stealth foreign release, I want to know what cut of the profits or fees they got for there participation in the release of s3. Yeah maybe it was just a copyright, shout ever shifting store about additional releases didnt help

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack

Those who want to buy Shout's stories should be advised to remember this thread.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...-series-5.html

And in there is this post from David Lambert that I can remember taking to be the reassuring word that we could expect to see S3 eventually. Keep in mind this is nearly a year *after* the release of S2.

"Shout! has previously informed me that Ironside is most definitely NOT in danger of being canceled from their DVD schedule; their DVD producers have been busy on other projects and haven't had time to start work on Season 3 yet. Expect it in 2009, I guess."

Instead, Shout decided spending money on "Rhoda" with butchered syndicated prints was a higher priority.

BobSchneider

Second Unit

Yes that may have been true, but in late nov / dec 2008 on shouts fan forum b ward posted clearly stating that due poor sale of s1 and weaker sale of season 2 Shout abandoned any future plans for more Ironside releases. Thats why I bought the r4 s3 release, Ironside is dead to shout, check the forums and you see the news yourself there atleast 5 different threads. :frowning:

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Yeah, I've seen those threads. And the info that was posted on this board not long before that is the reason why those explanations ring hollow to me since the statistics on sales as of August 08 nearly a year after the previous release would not have been any different from what they went by just a couple months later.

BobSchneider

Second Unit

Ok sorry I'm missing what your point is , but based on shouts flakyness lately (incoherent , constantly on again , left for dead stories on the Ironside releases ) and flat out garbage releases (rhoda) I dont trust shout any more . I won't blind buy any sets before there professional review and unless they release more Adam 12 so far Ive had no interest in anything shouts has to sell. :thumbsdown:

Joe Tor1

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Torcivia

It both annoyed and amused me to see the many threads throughout this forum demonizing the “Biggies” like Warner and Fox, and championing so-called indies like Shout!

Warner has mistreated THIS property, or Fox has abandoned THAT property – they would say, over and over again. If only a sainted indie like Shout Factory could license said property away from those corrupt studios that only care about the hot, current show of the month! Think I’m exaggerating? If so, not by much! Look around various classic TV threads, again and again.

Now, we see that Shout is no different than those Big Bad Biggies, once it disappoints the fans of a property they hold dear… as (unfortunately) I do with IRONSIDE.

It’s nice to see Shout get their fair share of vitriol, because they’re no better than anyone else in the game!

Danm! I really wanted S3, as that was the season where I began watching the show – and were the episodes I best remember. If the work is “all done” SOMEWHERE and for SOMEONE elsewhere in the world, why can’t that factor into a lower cost for an attempted distribution here?

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack

My point was simply that yes, I saw the threads you pointed out and the reason why I don't buy the explanations Ward put forth in them is *because* of the aforementioned item I quoted from here. There was nothing Shout could have known in November I think it was, when they said the show was abandoned that they didn't already know in August when we were reassured that the show was still in their plans.

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter
Real Name
Willard

Personally, I don't see why they have the antiquated system of region coding to begin with, since consumers can buy from places in Europe, Australia, etc. Plus, if a company Down Under or in Merry Old England wanted to make more money, they should put out region 0 dvds and sell them through US markets.

BobSchneider

Second Unit

OK thanks I wasnt clear on that , thank you . There has been in the past a amazing number of Shout apologists here (gone after Rhoda you'd think) where you think the sympathize with you only to attack you a post later..... too much late night reading LOL;)

BobSchneider

Second Unit

LOL :frowning: it anit going to happen from shout because they have abandoned Ironside for good. Honestly Ive never bought into Shout! self created hype as the friendly hippie boutique dvd producer, Oh were fan driven blah blah ..... BS. Look if they just said a few months after s2 release, due poor sales s3 wasn't going to be released, most sensible people would have understood , but they chose to lie and string along Ironside fans and R4 release with their name all over it didnt help reduce the Ironside fans rage over there deception. And like I said earlier if you as serious fan of movies and tv on dvd you really need to get a region free dvd player, they can be had for very reasonable prices from a variety of manufacturers , r4 s4 release of ironside should be as reasonable as s3
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor
Anyone who claims that Ironside was doing just fine in terms of sales in America, is full of it.

Those people need to stop being so spoiled and get the hint: Shout isn't going to waste money to complete it because they're a business out to make money, not please fanboys, like you, Bob (your english is horrible, BTW).

I especially love it how those same people also make it out to seem like Shout is a non-profit organization.

Bottom line: Ironside didn't sell well here in America (not a lie, a fact), and people who are forcing them to continue releasing the series at a loss, regardles of quality (I'm talking about people like Bob, Erik, and Joe), will only result in the company closing its doors forever.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack

If their idea of "business" is to then turn around after abandoning two titles (and do so with a total lack of upfront forthrightness. "Bill Cosby Show" fans were strung along first with an Amazon pre-order and release date that was then withdrawn and cancelled followed by some assurances that it would come eventually, but which after *two years* then became "we can't afford to release it"; "Ironside" fans were strung along for months on end including a reassurance through one of the big guns of TV Shows on DVD we're supposed to trust before we got the abandon word. Even if the reasons are somehow legitimate, their sense of PR and tact is abysmal) and offer up a title with 66% edited episodes and to conceal that information from the public until an outside reviewer called attention to it, then that's a lousy business model that tends to negate much of the PR spin that like to talk about their supposedly selfless commitment to quality.

BobSchneider

Second Unit

Thank you shout fan boy/employee for proving my point, Shout's handling of Rhoda and the Ironside cancellation is farcical at best, stupid or duplicitous at worst . Shouts burning lots of bridges with its fan base if there not careful poor sales of indivual titles will be the least of there worries.:thumbsdown:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharel
Recent bookmarks