What's new

Ironside SEASON 3 (1 Viewer)

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
The cover wasn't an issue for me and I find it hard to believe it was the deciding factor for anyone. Shows like this have a built-in audience who already like the show. Sure, you may have some younger converts, and maybe a very few who like to buy boxes with pretty covers, but the facts are that the audience for these shows is steadily dying off. I can't fault a company for ceasing to release a product that isn't turning a profit. I hope they release more sets. I'll buy 'em. But if they don't, I understand, particularly when the company is Shout, who I happen to believe care about their products, have a reasonably open dialogue with consumers, and don't pull fast ones on their customers like you know who.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

A similar argument could be made for the cover art used for Fox's two-volume release of "The Time Tunnel."

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
Just checked the message boards over at Shout! Factory and saw this November 24th post from Garson Foos, one of Shout!'s founders . . . .

"Season 2 hasn't sold very well. I doubt we'll make any money on it. We haven't ruled out Season 3. We need to review the numbers and see if there's a way to make it work. What if we priced it higher? Do you think the core audience would still buy it?"

While he doesn't indicate specific sales numbers (not that I would expect him to), he does make it quite clear that season 2 did not sell well.

BobSchneider

Second Unit

Yeah Bob I read that post about 3 weeks ago and had hope, look a few posts down and (why no ironside but simon and simon, loose qoute of the title) and B ward basic says Ironside is a closed dead issue due to sales.:frowning: . SO again Shout! has abandonded another series.:angry:

Guy Foulard

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason

I've just ordered this from DevotedDVD (I've used them before successfully) and it came to about $29 in US dollars. Their shipping is pretty low--I checked it against a bunch of other Aussie vendors, and it was one of the cheapest.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
"SO again Shout! has abandonded another series. "

Is it fair to say Shout! abandoned the series? Sounds like the audience abandoned it to me. Blame Shout! all you want, but your blame is misplaced.

BobSchneider

Second Unit

I usually agree with but this time what you say is silly, Shout made it impossible to find inronside s1 and s2 though normal retail channels, stealth released s2 and is working actively with the internation release of s3 and your blaming the fans for being P.O. at shout, sorry man your way off base this time:thumbsdown:

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Losts of $30+ sets don't get the best retail exposure. They don't all get cancelled. While it may be a factor, if fans want a show, they will find it. Many of them will go to extreme measures to find it.

For the record, I had no problem snagging both seasons at Sam's, and I wasn't even looking for season one when I found it.

jamoon2006

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jack Mooney

Why would it be in Shout's interest to make it "impossible" for people to buy their product? Give them credit for proceeding with a second season even when first season sales didn't justify it. Let's face it, if it had been Universal we wouldn't have even seen Season 2!

From reading the posts from Brian Ward at Shout's forum, it's pretty clear they are not working on the Australian Season 3 release, and they've explained why they won't release more seasons. I think it only hurts matters when a company (unlike others) is willing to post online and explain their business decisions and the result is fans accusing them of conspiring against the release.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
It's also important to recognize the fact that there is a huge amount of TV-on-DVD available and a limited amount of shelf space at brick & mortar stores. Unfortunately, vintage shows tend to suffer more when it comes to getting some of this space, unless the show is released by one of the majors like CBS Paramount, Sony or Fox which are also releasing contemporary shows like "NCIS" and "24," where sales of those shows are typically much greater than most vintage series and can easily command the attention of brick & mortar retailers. Independents, like Shout! Factory, have a much more difficult time getting their product on the shelves. I know of at least one instance, S'more Entertainment's release of "Make Room for Daddy" - season 6, where one of the major book retail chains simply refused to carry it because of shelf space issues.

I have to believe that a company like Shout! Factory is doing its best to get its DVD releases on the shelves of brick & mortar stores (I've seen season 1 of the vintage family comedy "Father Knows Best" at both Target and Best Buy), but if a retailer turns around and effectively says "no room at the inn," there's not too much recourse for the independent releasing company other than sell it throught other channels, be it through online retailers or direct mail where shelf space isn't an issue.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Well said Bob. Definitely spot on. I'd buy Season 3 of this show if it were released here in the States, but I'm not boycotting Shout over this. Heck, they are about the best group going right now in my book!

Gary "trust me, I know how frustrating it is to have a favorite series stalled ('Leave it to Beaver', 'Have Gun, Will Travel, 'Quincy') or mutilated ('Fugitive', 'My 3 Sons'), but in this instance I really do believe Shout is doing the best they can" O.

jamoon2006

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jack Mooney
Gary OS said:
Heck, they are about the best group going right now in my book!QUOTE]

Amen to that. Between Ironside and their solid job on Mystery Science Theater 3000, they're one of the best around.

BobSchneider

Second Unit

Hmmm maybe , Ironside's core audience doesnt do the internet well so limited brick and morter presents=bad sales. I went to 3 targets, 3 walmarts, 3 different best buys and called atleast 3 curcuit citys and a few dvd speciality shops and none had Ionside s1. Im glad some people had luck in finding the season sets but I know a lot of people couldnt find it no matter how hard they tried. :frowning: So fan support is not the issue availablity is , Unless it a set like mchales navy which everyone supposedly loves you can not find shout sets at most retailers, sorry but that my experance here in So Califorina.:frowning: :thumbsdown:

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter
Real Name
Willard
I rarely buy DVDs at brick and mortar stores. They are almost always cheaper at Deep Discount or Amazon. So I will buy them online. And I am 55.

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
Ironside is a show that I've been considering buying for a while, but haven't yet. While I do recall it from childhood, I remember very little about the show, so it would be practically a blind buy. It seems like something that I would enjoy as an adult, but I'm awash in unwatched TV on DVD sets as it is. I wonder how much of that glut dragged down sales?

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I suspect Ironside's audience makes up a large percentage of the audience for other 60s shows which also don't get a lot of shelf space but haven't been cancelled after two seasons. History has shown that if fans want a show, they will find a way to buy it. I'm grateful to Shout for giving Ironside its chance, and particularly grateful to them for a second season and an explanation. They are one of the top company's out there, and most people in the industry will echo that sentiment.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
As disappointed as I am that IRONSIDE has stalled, I agree that the consumer abandoned this series, not SHOUT. I think SHOUT did a great job with the two seasons they put out; this show apparently just didn't find its audience. Hopefully the situation changes, but absent a big uptick in sales I don't expect it.

Blaming SHOUT for retail distribution problems is unfair also. The retailers are the ones who decide what to stock, not the studios. There is a tremendous glut of product out there right now and only so much shelf space to go around.

BobSchneider

Second Unit

Hey Guy thank you SOOOOOOOOOOO much for the tip , I just got my confirmation email from devoted dvd my Ironside s3 set on the way for a price that would be about the same if I got it a Walmart . What so bizarre about this topic is the same of folks who savaged cbs on the fugitive (and savage every other cbs release regardless if be tampered with or not Five-0) are so tolerant of Shout abandonment of Ironside? Especially with shouts crappy track record of series competiton ....... Oh well But thanks again Guy for the tip I have fun watching season 3 hopefully season four will follow soon. And no more of my $$$$$$ to Shout bye bye.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Comparing what CBS did to the FUGITIVE to Shout! abandoning a series that they did a great job releasing unaltered is absurd. Shout! has a record of listening to customers and improving marketable product (i.e. complete episodes of season two of FATHER KNOWS BEST after fans expressed displeasure at syndie eps in season one). Shout! maintains a dialogue with its fan base and gives believable explanations (i.e Ironside didn't sell and we're not going to put out a product that loses money). To even mention Shout! in the same sentence with CBS/Paramount, is, in my opinion, and insult to the good folks at Shout.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks