What's new

Iron Man sequel news (2 Viewers)

James_Kiang

Screenwriter
I don't know if JonZ was going in this direction, but another potentially interesting storyline would be to have the Avengers go after Hulk as agents of SHIELD. Somewhere in there throw in a storyline about them being manipulated leading to them becoming independent. That would also be a throwback to the comics.

James_Kiang

Screenwriter
One thing that seems to have slipped by many people is the comment that Iron Man 2 will be used to introduce Thor. I won't say that is a bad idea, but I don't know how much I like it. A move like that, IMO, seems to force the Thor movie to go more modern whereas I would rather see a more fantasy approach to it.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I prefer modern Thor, but I just hope the introduction is done well in IM2. It just seems that the first IM movie is pretty grounded in reality, and it might pull things apart if a big blonde Norse god suddenly shows up. Then again, I've wanted the Marvel movies to be part of the Marvel Universe, so I should be happy. It might be easier to take after an Avengers movie, though.

If you happen to read comics currently, check out a Thor one-shot that came out last week. It's set in the past, in the fantasy Asgardian setting, and it's really good. It's actually the first of three related one-shots.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
I hope they don't try to shoehorn Hulk into an Avengers movie.

I realize "Hulk" could bring name recognition, but honestly... the character was only in 5 issues before being eliminated because he didn't fit the series or where it would need to go.

Adding him now would be another bad Hollywood idea to "re-write" the original stories that justified the movies getting made.

Like these other Hollywood "re-writes": Killing Cyclops for no reason; Wolverine takes out Phoenix; Sandman killed Spiderman's uncle; the Joker killed Batman's parents; Superman gets Lois pregnant & has a super-baby; etc.
Have they no respect for the fans?

James_Kiang

Screenwriter
Not exactly IM sequel news, but according to IGN Matthew Vaughn is no longer attached to direct Thor. I'm not worried at this point over the move, but that could change depending on who they replace him with.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
And that information, in conjunction with Marvel announcing FIVE movies the minute IM is a hit, concerns me in a BIG way. The announcement of the films was simply to boost their stock price. A little scummy, but what do you expect?

Actually pushing a 2 year sequel without a script/contracts is pretty scary. They did a great job lining up talent and getting things right for their first shot as a studio. ONE hit later, and they are looking at dollar signs and considering rushing a project. Hopefully, I am overreacting. But my experience with comic book companies is that they LOVE to go to the well, as often as they can, the minute they find it. They are like ABC and "Who Wants To Be a Millionaire?". So it's very easy to be skeptical.

If they rush the material, they'll kill the golden goose (geese). Why set release dates until you have contracts or a script? That's blockbuster foolishness.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Yah, definately not good information there. When you start setting a very strict date and rush things, the end result is never the best.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
It might also be an overreaction, but I can see the end result of Favreau's statement being him walking from the movie while they hire somebody who can rush through some garbage. Last I looked at rottentomatoes, IM was sitting at 92%, which is pretty astounding. Many consider it one of the best superhero pictures ever made. So, why isn't Marvel looking to create a movie that can meet and surpass that instead of hitting a arbitrary deadline arrived at before there could possibly be any shooting schedule? Short-sightedness. Big money now, instead of "let's wait awhile and have big money and a good reputation."

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Also sounding like a comic book company is that this might be a result of them trying to create the cohesive universe that comic book fans expect (indeed, they occasionally have trouble imagining its absence) but which moviegoers are just being introduced to - they're clearly planning to have 2011's Captain America and The Avengers be connected, and there's been talk about placing a tease for Thor in Iron Man 2. The shared universe can be fun, but it makes a lot of these projects dependent on others.

Cory S.

Supporting Actor
You'd think Marvel would've learned a thing or two after what happened between Fox and Bryan Singer on the third X-Men film...

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Well, you could argue they did - Fox arguably got a decent, profitable movie out of Brett Ratner, while the studio that catered to the director got Superman Returns. I'm sure Marvel would like to strike while the iron is hot - especially since these movies and their merchandising are going to make up something like 80% of the company's revenue going forward - so it's really not a good idea for them to put themselves in a position where Jon Favreau can hold a good chunk of their 2010 revenue hostage.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Jason is correct...but that is short term vision, and Marvel will make a killing and then peter out within a few years. But that's how the comic industry works.

Directors matter, as does loyalty. Screw Favreau, and other directors won't be so keen to direct Captain America, or Thor, or...

And then you start putting out crap. And then the audience realizes the emperor has no clothes. Then you have no credibility with mainstream viewers (see B&R to BB).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks