What's new

Iron Maiden: A Matter of Life and Death (1 Viewer)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Any thoughts on this one yet, guys? I just ordered it -- Best Buy is selling the deluxe edition with DVD for $10! (They have MSRP mismarked as $12.99, so hurry if you want it at that price.)

I'm picking it up at my local store after work and hope to give it a good listen over the weekend. Amazon.com reviews are very positive.

Christopher_S

Stunt Coordinator
I also ordered last week through Best Buy because of that price... still waiting for it unfortunately. I like the bits I've heard online.

I've been kind of amazed to see mainstream entertainment mags reviewing it, and even more surprised that they are pretty complimentary.

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerald LaFrance
Cool Never thought I would see an Iron Maiden Thread here LOL!!

I just wanted to know how the Dance of Death Album sounded is it any Good?? I havent heard to much of Newer Maiden but I am an Old School Fan.

I just wanted to know, because I saw that this Album is a DVD-A Recording and just wanted to know if the album was any good?? THNX!!

Is A Matter of Life and Death Hi REZ??

-Gerald

Christopher_S

Stunt Coordinator
As far as I know there is not hi-res content on the DVD with the new album.

I don't have the DVD-A of Dance of Death. I like the album, though I don't think it's all that well recorded really. The newer albums remind me a lot of Somewhere in Time or Seventh Son, so if you like those you'd probably get something out of the new stuff.

James_Kiang

Screenwriter
I've listened to this a couple of times, but it hasn't grown on me just yet. A lot of the music sounds similar and the recording quality seems...off. I quite enjoyed Dance of Death, but nothing on this album has jumped out at me. Not terrible, but not spectacular.

I would disagree with Christopher about one thing. New Maiden does have a similar sound, but I would not liken it to Seventh Son. That was probably the last of the "old-school" Maiden sound for me.

Sheldon C

Second Unit
I have the dvd audio of Dance of Death and it is very disappointing. The cd production sounds dead and lifeless to me (unlike the great sounding Brave New World) so I bought the dvd audio hoping it would sound better because I like the songs. No such luck, the dvd audio is dead and lifeless sounding too.

Don Giro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don
Iron Maiden are probably my favorite heavy metal band of all time. I've been listening since the debut album, and have loved/very much liked every album they've released since (Yes, there's good stuff from the Blaze Bayley era, too).

That said, I find "A Matter of Life and Death" to be the weakest Maiden album to date. Maybe I need some time to let it grow on me, but I can't listen to the whole thing all the way through in one sitting...I find it...boring.

I'm gonna listen to it some more, hopefully it will grow on me like Metallica's "black" album did all those years ago. I want to be able to amend this post in a few days and admit I was wrong...

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

I read something along the lines of the new album not having been mastered -- I take that to mean that they didn't tweak the audio at all when creating the CD masters.

I only had a chance to listen to the first few tracks so far -- they're OK, but haven't jumped out at me yet. Hopefully I'll get to listen to the rest soon.

I also give Dance of Death a thumbs-up, although it took a couple of listens to grow on me.

Christopher_S

Stunt Coordinator
Several of the songs on the new CD are starting to grow on me, but particularly the last track, "The Legacy". I sort of liked it the first time I listened to it, but I think I was so aurally exhausted by that point that I didn't really catch it.

Tonight on the way home from work I jumped right to that last track and blasted it... now I think it's one of my favorite things they've ever done.

Overall, I think nothing would benefit Maiden at this point more than some judicious editing. The album's just too much.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.