What's new

Iron Giant SE news straight from the man (1 Viewer)

Guy Martin

Second Unit
Hello all!

I just got back from a special presentation on directing animation at the Director's Guild that was put together by Pixar and the Guild. While John Lasseter and Lee Unkrich gave the main lecture/presentation, Brad Bird (who now works at Pixar) was in the audience. In fact when Lasseter was introducing the various Pixar workers in the audience he said "How many of you saw The Iron Giant" and the room practically exploded when Bird stood up! Everyone had seen it and loved it (including Lasseter obviously).

After the presentation I went up and introduced myself to Bird and asked him if an Iron Giant Special Edition DVD was in the works. He said indeed it was and that they were reaching the end of gathering materials for it. He said the reason it was taking so long is that most of the people who worked on IG have left Warner Bros (like Bird himself) and were now scattered all over the place so scheduling and taping interviews for the documentary was very time-consuming. He said his audio commentary for the disc was done and that they were just waiting to get two more interviews before editing all the materials together and authoring the thing. He didn't have a specific date in mind, but felt that it was definitely progressing. Thought you'd like to know.

- Guy

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
Guy;

If you're telling the truth, you've got one hell of a scoop there! With thoughts of D-VHS consuming my attention, this news is very much welcomed. It's the best thing I've heard all day.

Did you at all ask him about the film being released as a widescreen release? I'd hate to see this animated movie, shot in 2.35:1 butchered to a P&S transfer for the sake of the masses.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Hope this happens, but I must admit I'm pessimistic. I got an e-mail from another prominent Pixar employee back in mid-2000, and he stated that he was friends with Bird and the SE was progressing rapidly. Almost a year and a half later, here we are! (Don't want to look like a thread crapper, as I appreciate this news, but got burned earlier so I'm bitter!:)

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Personally, I'm hoping that Bird focuses most of his attention on his next film and works on the SE whenever he has a spare moment. I have a good presentation of IG already, and I am more excited about the idea of a new Brad Bird animated film than a new Brad Bird Iron Giant commentary & documentary. I'll buy it when it comes out, but I'm in no hurry. :)
By the way, Kirk Wise, the co-director of Atlantis, Beauty and the Beast, and Hunchback of Notre Dame had very complimentary things to say about Bird and Iron Giant on usenet when it was released. Here is a quote:
Saw it yesterday. Anyone who loves a good story, or loves movies, or loves humor, charm, and the unique sense of wonder that animation can provide, owes it to themselves, their familes and friends to see this film. It's a testament and a reminder to everyone in the business of the power of story and character over budget and special effects. My most sincere thanks and appreciation goes out to Brad and his crew for reminding me why I got into animation in the first place.
That about sums it up for me as well, except for the fact that I never got into animation production.:)
Regards,

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Jeffrey-

I am not Guy, but I am sure that with the current

DVD offering both pan-and-scan and the original

2.35:1 aspect ratio, we will AT LEAST get the

widescreen version on the SE.

Mark

Guy Martin

Second Unit
Didn't think to ask him about OAR. I forgot that with WB family titles you never know. I just assumed it would be.

- Guy

Dave_P.

Supporting Actor
Yeah, this rumor's been going on for a while. I hope they haven't thrown it on the back burner or worse. :frowning:

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i'd love to hear what pete townshend would have to say.

he was one of the executive producers and released a record o while back called THE IRON MAN based on the same story that iron giant came from.

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
I hope this comes out soon. I have never seen this movie and this morning caught some of it on the Cartoon Network before I left for work. The little that I saw was awesome. I'm debating whether I should buy the current DVD or wait for the SE.

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
I saw a little of it on Cartoon Network as well. About 55% of it. :D
Changed the channel after a few seconds. :D

Duane Robinson

Second Unit
I love this movie and I have the first edition. I wouldn't mind getting a new version but the one I have will do if they keep postponing this thing or never release it at all.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Didn't think to ask him about OAR. I forgot that with WB family titles you never know. I just assumed it would be.
I'm still waiting for an OAR presentation of Space Jam! This in spite of the fact that it's been released twice to the DVD format already; and the last release was a "SE" with a director's commentary track!

I'm starting to get a little bitter about it too, since it now appears that WB considers the non-OAR SE iteration of this movie to be "definitive".

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks