What's new

iPod to kill TV-on-DVD? (1 Viewer)

Jonathan_Clarke

Second Unit
itunes hasn't killed cds yet. If anything it's helped music more than the record companies have.

But I can upload all my cds into my ipod. And I've sold my Marvel comics for their dvd roms that contain every issue from the past 40 years saved as pdfs.

If you tell me in 3 years there will be a way to upload all my dvds into a device like Craig Sherman describes?

Yeah, I'd be okay with that.

RoryR

Stunt Coordinator
The thought of not having an actual item to hold is scary.
But the thought of not messing with Discs is nice.

I just don't trust Computers, I don't want to spend Money downloading (or whatever we will be doing) DVD's (or whatever they shall be) just to have some l33t hacker take them all away with the click of a mouse.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Well, yeah, I definitely won't buy into any sort of download WITHOUT the ability to "archive" it to someplace physical. Well, at least with the stuff I really care about. I pay for ringtones and games on my cell phone, but I could cae less if I lose them when I upgrade to a new phone.

ElijahS

Supporting Actor
Even though I love the idea of the iPod (my first one comes tomorrow!), I'm not overly crazy about not having a hard copy. I prefer buying the albums and burning them through iTunes, so I have the hard copy with the artwork and (in most cases) lyrics to boot. Of course, video is a separate area. I won't purchase more than maybe two of my favorite episodes of any series at maximum; the video function will come in handy for long car rides and such, though, so I will purchase a few (or try to get DVDs onto my iPod).

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I've seen the Amazing Spider-Man one at Best Buy and on Amazon so I'd imagine that you get all of them there. I didn't buy it because I knew I'd never go through hundreds of issues on my computer (and I have a bunch of the Marvel Essential Spidey trades). :)

RoryR

Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, and I don't like that.

I have gMail so I will never have to delete the e-mail and I could always write down the code and store it safe but its still scary.

I hope if anything like that happens, you will be able to print receipts and simply enter a code to redownload. I just don't want an annoying setup like where 'Your Harddrive will delete the DVD in 24 hours'. I don't know, maybe the whole downloading everything will be good.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I wonder if these comics would format down to Adobe Reader on the Pocket PC?

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member

In terms of sound quality, perhaps. But the whole point of cell phones is their PORTABILITY!

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Which was my point about the iPod. It's the only poratable way to carry 10,000 songs. iPods aren't exactly built for quality, they're built for portability.

But people seem to like bashing the quality of the iPod and ask why people would buy such a product, which doesn't make any sense to me, considering the popularity of cell phones.

Jonathan_Clarke

Second Unit
Dave, go to www.talesofwonder.com They have all the Marvel dvd roms at a great price.

I love these. These pdfs are high rez so you can zoom it until you see the paper texture. And you can upload them into your hard drive so when I'm on the road with my laptop I have 1500 comics to read.

And you can't beat the price $50 for 500 comics makes you feel like your paying 1961 prices.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member

I listen to my iPod in my car through a tapedeck adapter and the sound quality is the same as the same CDs in my CD changer. Of course all my MP3s are ripped at high VBR quality (192/320), so it's relative.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Oh yes Paul, that's why I said they aren't 'exactly' built. They are capable of, but that really wasn't the intension.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks