What's new

iPod to kill TV-on-DVD? (1 Viewer)

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter

In 1981, Bill Gates said that nobody would ever need more than 640k of RAM.

20 years ago, nobody would have thought that online magazines and news outlets would eclipse printed news media.

I think pre-recorded entertainment media will go the way of the vinyl LP within 10 years of the time that bandwidth penetration makes it possible. Unfortunately, delivery will probably be in the form of VoD, or DRM'ed IPTV, so that the content providers can charge per view - putting an end to home media collections. I'm not saying that's a good thing... but I can see it happening.

-Scott

JamesTaylor

Stunt Coordinator
I don't think that the iPod will make any dent in the TV-On-DVD sales at all. If it does anything to them if will make them stronger. I think that only Blu-Ray will be of concern to TV-On-DVD. Nobody wants to watch TV shows on tiny little screens. Ipod video will not be successful at all.
-James

Tim B

Auditioning

I commute on a bus to a smaller city everyday in Connecticut. As many people know, CT isn't a poor state, so people have money to spend on more luxary items. My bus route is very busy so I have probably seen ovr 250 commute on this specific bus route. I have only seen 1 person ever watch a movie on their ipod. The kid was probably around 25. I see a ton of people listening to music on their ipods. Of course the younger individuals such as myself are the majority, but there are some older individuals in their 40's or 50's.

At the gym, over 25% of the people listen to ipods. I have never seen 1 person watching a movie on their ipod while on an exercise machine. So from my experience in the smaller city, there is not much of a use for it.

EricW

Senior HTF Member

yeah, but the studio would probably sell you the download for $15 and make twice or three times the profit :)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I thing regardless of how you will get content, a portable device where you can carry your TV shows and movies and music will become more mainstream. It is inevitable. The iPod is the current device du jour.

I see more and more vehicles with LCD displays whilst I'm in traffic. When I was at MacWorld earlier this month, I saw products from Belkin and others that will allow you to connect an iPod video to the car's audio system and a third party LCD display. Granted I live in the Silicon Valley, a highly metropolitan and high tech area, but I still believe it will, it has spread beyond this area.

This is going to be independant of DVD sales. In fact, I think more and more users will be converting their DVD collections to hard drive based or flash memory based replay devices so they can view and listen portably. Time will tell.:)

RoryR

Stunt Coordinator
I think TV-on-IPOD will hurt Network TV more than TV-on-DVD, its not a viable longterm storage solution. DVD's are flexible, I get great sound on my Portable Player - even better with a Home Stereo Unit and I don't have to worry about a Virus/Hardrive faults deleting/loosing my DVD.

RyanAn

Screenwriter
I just want to go on record as a guy who has almost 300 music/stand-up/television/non-film DVDs and who would never buy a television show on an iPod. But of course, that's just me.

Ryan

Jonathan_Clarke

Second Unit
I used itunes to catch up on Lost after finishing the season 1 dvd. I don't have a video ipod so I watched them on my monitor. And deleted them as soon as they were done.

I just read an article that said shows offered through itunes are getting higher ratings. That may mean that the dvd sales go up too.

ElijahS

Supporting Actor
Well, iTunes is adding more, and adding more titles (and more seasons of shows) might help shows get on DVD. For example, they've added Season 2 of Alfred Hitchcock Presents, but it's not accessable in the iTunes store. I'd say that's a good sign for a second season set.

Craig Sherman

Stunt Coordinator

Scott's thinking "Big Picture," as should we all. Will THIS INCARNATION of TV-on-iPod kill THIS INCARNATION of TV-on-DVD? No, of course not. But think three incarnations of the iPod down the road.

Picture a device, with the same footprint, but, in addition to the usual stereo headphone jack, picture an HDMI port on the side. And picture that the size, 4" x 2", is dedicated entirely to a 16x9 touch-capable LCD widescreen, instead of half screen and half click wheel.

Add to that the inevitable docking station where you can seat it and have it feed into your 75" HDTV and 7.1 DTS surround sound, and suddenly the idea of having your blu-ray comparable videos all in the palm of your hand will make as much sense in 10 years as having all of your songs in the palm of your hand does today.

And let's not forget streaming HD media-on-demand. No need to clutter your shelves at all, just call up whatever show or movie you want whenever you want. Something to think about.

But no, right now, there's no threat.

Ask me again after the iPod HD comes out. And that may be sooner than you think.

CS

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Exactly. As is the case of McDonald's moving next door to Outback, I love BOTH and would patronize both. Outback wouldn't lose my business to McDonald's, because when I am in the mood for McDonald's, it means I am not in the mood for Outback, so Outback loses my business based on the fact that I am in the mood for fast food period, and vice-versa.

Just like downloading a show from iTunes. IMHO, there is no DVD sales loss because that's not why the person is downloading the show. Sure there might be some that are fine with playing iPod videos on their tv (over DVD's), but I hardly see that as a large percentage that will dry up the DVD market.

iPod videos aren't going to hurt DVD sales. iPod video is just the first step in the next generation of what video will become. DVD's aren't going to be around forever and soon (when the technology develops) we will be downloading super high quality videos that will be able to be played on 1" to 100" tv's and look amazing!

So iPod won't kill DVD, the next format to combine these two ideals, will kill the DVD. ;)

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David

Agreed. We're also living in a "paperless" society, and yet there is more paper in our lives than ever before. People print emails & documents, junk mail still comes, every thing can be saved and filed, wow, it's endless.

Packaged media will continue to survive. Will it be for everyone? Certainly not. There will be additional distribution choices. Just like E-commerce hasn't killed the shopping malls, and digital books haven't put the nails in a bookstores coffin, digital files won't seal the fate for all packaged media.

Bill>Moore

Second Unit
The iTunes video has it's good points, but I can't see it changing my TV on DVD buying habits any time in the near future.

John*P

Second Unit
I don't currently own an iPod and don't know if I ever will. (I'm not much of a music person) If I were to ever download TV shows off of iTunes, it would be only to sample a series I had never seen, or to catch an episode of a show that I had missed on TV. I can't imagine ever wanting to "collect" TV series from iTunes...I'd much rather stick to TV on DVD for various reasons already mentioned in this thread.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Not only that but I doubt that the Ipod will overcome the standard DVD Consumer. While it may be a great way to transport videos when travelling I don't see Ipod as replacing the standard consumer of TV Shows on DVD. There's no way I would trade my 20" TV set in favor of a miniature 2" screen. It just doesn't scream out.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
The only thing that might happen is if Apple was to get a TV show exclusive for Ipod, which would only delay the show showing up on DVD, but even then it will show up eventually on DVD.

Hurting the sales of TV Shows on DVD? I seriously doubt it in the least. If anything it will bring more attention to the shows that you can already purchase and then increase a demand of not only those shows but future ones.

There may be Ipod users that didn't know that you could purchase a TV show on DVD and it will bring awareness to those users that those same shows are out on DVD.

You can purchase a movie to watch on your PSP but it hasn't slowed down sales of movies to DVD in the least. I personally see that having TV shows that you can download to your Ipod as a boost to TV shows on DVD. You can download an episode of a show you missed but if you want to archive it for future viewing having it on DVD is the only way to go.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
That's present-tense, though. It assumes that shows on iTunes will remain at well-sub-DVD quality, and that bandwidth will stay relatively the same. That could change drastically in the next few years.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Jason, that's what I was getting with an old post here. The future is definitely going to be the combination of the 2. Downloading (higher then DVD quality movies) either to your computer, a hand held device, or directly to your tv.

Your TV will be like a computer, with a hard drive to store all of these downloads, instead of having stacks of DVD's on the wall.

While we all sit here and grumble at the thought (most don't like the idea of not being able to hold onto the DVD movie), just look at what the computer has already slowly gotten rif of...

Most of us no longer write letters (we write email)...Most of younger people no longer write in diaries and journals, it's all MySpace/Blog stuff....Most people don't go to their friends house to chat, they IM, etc.

And what about all these Tivo/Digital Records? No more VHS tape!!!

Slowly, things are moving toward the computer and we're embracing them. That's what will happen with TV. The TV will turn into a TV/computer hybrid with a hard drive. No more physical media, it will all be 100% 1's and 0's.

Craig Sherman

Stunt Coordinator
...and one day, they will turn on us. Finding us inefficient and unnecessary, the computerized TVs will activate the launch codes that will annihilate all organic life. And standing on the rubble, smiling at his new dominion, will be the grinning, dark visage of pure evil:

And we all let it happen.

Nobody ever listens,

CS

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I posted this in another thread, but it was more of a joke, but I feel it is more apt here...

What about cell phones? Cell phones SUCK compared to home phone line phones, yet just look at their popularity! There are even a lot of people here on the HTF that have given up home phone lines for cell phones! :eek:

The cell phone is a GREAT example of convenience over quality.

I would hope that anyone who mocks an MP3 players qulaity, doesn't own a cell phone, because you are guilty of the VERY thing you mock.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks