What's new

Ipod Problems... (1 Viewer)

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
FYI, in case this kind of thing comes up again. The things that will generally screw-up small electronics like this when liquids are spilled on them are shorts due to electrical connections being made, corrosion from water and sticky residue when the liquid evaporates. (This applies to calculators, cell phones, MP3 players, even keyboards and mice.)

First thing to do is turn them off. Next is remove the battery, if applicable, or disconnect from power. Next find a container slightly lager than the object, drop the object into it, and fill with rubbing alcohol just to cover. The alcohol will displace the water, is less corrosive and evaporates faster. Agitate to help ensure the alcohol penetrates, let soak for a couple of hours, then remove from the bath. Remove the cover if possiible and diassemble the object as far as you fee comfortable doing. Let air dry for at lest 48 hours, longer if the cover remains on. This will ensure that everything, including any residual water, has time to evaporate. Reassemble, reconnect the power, and try again.

Regards,

Joe

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I considered silica but I didn't have any available.

I was hasty in pronouncing full success. It's mostly working, but does not connect and sync consistently. But well enough to not spend $99 repairing it.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I considered silica but I didn't have any available.
You mean you don't save all the silica that comes with your electronics? I just assumed that everybody around here did.

Why, I have whole rooms filled with the stuff. (Comes in handy as a sandbag replacement during hurricane season.)

You might want to give that alcohol bath idea a try. There could be gunky residue in there causing problems.

Regards,

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks