What's new

IPOD in car!!! (1 Viewer)

Mac

Agent
Just a short note to tell you that I hooked my IPOD up in my truck via a hard wired FM modulator and man does it rock!!! Sounds just as good as the cd, except that I have 4,000 songs and 350 albums to choose from. Bass response is suprisenly good - again just as good as the cd. The key is to have a wired FM modulator, as the wireless do not have very good sound. I have it mounted on my dash and it is easy to access and pick albums and songs. Highly recommended!

Mac

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
That's sweet, my friend has the same thing and that's what pushed me over the edge to finally start browsing for Ipods. I hear Alpine is making a direct connect thingy with it so we can use the DACs in the CD receiver rather than the Ipod's.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Too bad I have an original iPod that doesn't work with -any- of the fancy car adapters. I do have it hooked into my HU via the aux inputs though...

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Here's what I was talking about:

http://www.alpine-usa.com/products/l...h_kca-420i.htm

I have a ton of questions about this thing, looks like I'll just take the plunge soon and try it all out for myself. Ideally I'd like some kind of mass storage solution that stores lossless WMA or AAC files and let's me use the DACs in the receiver. I hate switching and storing CD upon CD in the car.

The Ipod is probably the best way but if not tons of losslessly compressed songs onto a DVD-R comes in a close second.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member

Except that the Belkin wireless transmitter is much better than I would have hoped, and is my stop-gap until I buy the Alpine unit. If you have a clear frequency, the quality of transmission can be excellent, with very good stereo separation and little static.

But a wired modulator is a great solution as well.

Mac

Agent
I was not impressed with the wireless transmitters like the Belkin. Instead I had a FM modulator installed under my dash and wired directly to my antenna - unit cost about $70.00 and install was $25.00. The sound is as good as cd - I did comparison btwn cd and ipod and their was no difference. I have burned most of my cd collection onto the ipod - about 350 albums or 3,200 songs - I burned them at the 320 bit rate, which is double the minimum 128. I found the sound to be much more accurate at 320 than 128. Have the ipod hooked up to my stereo also - use it mainly when I want a great mix that I put together in Itunes. Good luck!!!

Mac

Arthur Legardo

Second Unit
Real Name
ArthurL
I was tempted to do an FM modulator hack in my Mazda3, but after reading of other owners' experiences with it, I decided against it (extra wiring required, an ON/OFF switch, a little more cutting up of the dash as well). I opted for a PIE module which they luckily made for the stock radio. I connected it to Belkin Auto Kit and now I only have one wire connecting my iPod to the stock headunit which also charges my iPod at the same time.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Here's a sneak peak photo at the 2005 Alpine models. Look at what that pretty face shows.
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

http://www.alpine.com/e/products/audio/index.html

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
I too had a hard wired FM modulator installed in my car and my iPod does sound sweet through it. Unfortunately, the 650 watt Rockford Fosgate stereo in my '06 Mitsubishi Eclipse doesn't have any other way to hook up an iPod except this way or wireless FM transmitter (lousy). My car came equipped with a 10" subwoofer and the bass does thump. I have my entire CD collection (250) plus 300+ songs I bought on iTunes. It takes over a month to play the songs all the way through during my commute. It's like having my own radio station in my center console!!! Plus the way Al & Ed's auto sound hooked it up I get the iPod charged too. I just recently bought an iJet remote with the pass through for my car mounted iPod and I have the transmitter module clipped to my sunvisor. Changing songs, pausing and turning off the iPod remotely is a rather cool thing to have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks