What's new

Iphone? Should I? (1 Viewer)

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
I too will say that the iPhone offers the best voice quality of any phone I've ever used and is certainly immeasurably superior in other ways. However, the original firmware suffered from low volume, and AT&T service may or may not suck in your area.

So far, for me AT&T has been slightly better than T-Mobile in NYC.

Ron: just press the lock button on top to prevent accidental dialing. I keep my phone in my pocket (no holster/protection of any kind), but I always lock it before putting it away.

Blu

Screenwriter
I did.

Call it tax return fever if you wish.

My first impressions are that the cell signal is good in my area but there are spots where it is dead. The building I work in kills cell signal dead. I have to get close to a window or door leading to outside to use the web parts.

When I'm connected to a wifi network though, this is one speedy little device and I'm very happy with it! I can see where the Edge network can be frustrating. When it is working well it is about two and a half times faster than dialup in my area, give or take a couple of kbs.

I'm really enjoying it though and see a long relationship ahead!

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member

That's my impression of EDGE -- when you are getting a good signal, it is really quite fast. As various videos have shown, an iPhone on EDGE can beat some other device on 3G, because Safari is so much better/faster than the competing mobile browsers. But the problem is that all too often, EDGE is operating at less than optimal speed, at which point it can be anywhere from slow to ridiculous.

I wonder if 3G coverage tends to be better than EDGE coverage in that respect? Well, we'll know soon enough when we upgrade to 3g iPhones, I suppose :)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Well they just released the 16GB iPhone, but still no 3G, so I'm still considering this to be version 1 of the iPhone with more memory. It is $100 more than the 8GB model.

Hopefully this doesn't sour your recent purchase. :frowning:

Blu

Screenwriter
it doesn't really bother me as I was planning on a upgrade once the faster model comes out. 8 more gigs would be nice but not necessary as I have a lot of MP3s on my iphone now and still have my 80 gig ipod which has the whole collection on there.

So I'm good.

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
Well, we're halfway there. I was waiting on a 16gb / 3G iphone (even though there is no 3G service here...), so 16gb is a step in the right direction. I'm hoping for a pricedrop when a 3G phone comes out. Don't quite feel like dropping $500 on a phone.

Strangely, one reason I didn't get a touch when they first came out was because I didn't think 16gigs was enough, but I'm fine with that amount for an iPhone. It doesn't really make sense though that they can have a 32 gig touch but not an iPhone...

ErichH

Screenwriter
100 bucks seems expensive for an 8g memory boost, but what's a C note when we're talking about a 4-500 phone?

One of my long time clients had his new iPhone in the shop a few days ago. He loves the thing. Gotta say I keep looking with lust, but my bones tell me to wait for V2.

Once I do go for it, the land line is history. Should be an interesting switch back to the giant carrier.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member

Sure, future phones, including iPhones could be made with radios compatible with that frequency, but it would require a new phone, same as 3G upgrade would. And 3G would work in Europe and Asia.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i cant cou t the number of times i called someone without knowing it.

it happens when i make or get a call and then forget to move away from the phone by pressing the home button or when i forget to press the top button to put it in rest mode.

now if i could figue out how to trade my 8 for a 16 iphone.

Chris Maynard

Supporting Actor
After three weeks with my iPhone I can say that I will never go without one.

Hands down, the best cell phone/PDA device I have used.

The UI is simply bad azz.

That is all.

Blu

Screenwriter
Agreed! This is one spectaular device!
I can't wait to see where it goes from here!

I'm hoping some of the third party apps will allow me to customize the desktop like the jailbroken phones can do!
I don't want to jailbreak mine as I just don't want the hassle if it bricks on the next update.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Yeah, I'm waiting for the release of the SDK before I
attempt to jailbreak my phone again. In fact, it's my
understanding that there is a jailbreak already lined up
but they don't want to release it prior to the SDK release
(though you can jailbreak 1.1.3 as long as you have a
jailbroken 1.1.1 or 1.1.2)

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
I recently spent a week in San Francisco, and as much as this is possible...I love my iPhone even more. As a visitor in a city I've never been to, the Google Maps Locator was absolutely indispensible. We both had iPhones, and we weren't afraid to roam around without maps or bus schedules. In SF, Google Maps has street view, which was pretty awesome.

Funny coincidence...While using Google Maps Street View on my phone in SF, a Google Maps car drove right by us! I got 3 photographs of it quickly, my girl fumbled, and didn't get any :)

CJ

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
how do you get that to work.
when i hit my address in googlemaps.com it reverts
back to the iphone google map and i dont see a street view option.

i finally got it to stay on google maps on the safari browser but it tells me i need to install latest flash for it to work.

rssavvas

Auditioning
Real Name
Ross Savvas
Hi guys,
I'm posting from Australia and am intrigued at how many of you are saying you have no land lines or intend to dispose of them.
Over here we need our landlines to access our broadband internet connections. Rupert murdoch has made the point that in Oz, broadband is a joke. nevrtheless How do you all access the net without landlines

Blu

Screenwriter
I have a cable modem myself for excellent broadband speeds.
I could get rid of my landline if I wanted to but it is kind of a security blanket at this point.

ErichH

Screenwriter

Still on the Old Ma Bell copper for VOIP ADSL2. No cable available in my local. I do intend to ditch the hard line and go with iPhone2, but I'll have to keep the ADSL for now. Looking forward to crushing my Razor with a heavy object ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks