What's new

Iphone? Should I? (1 Viewer)

Blu

Screenwriter
I don't have a cell phone, never have but am finding a need for one. Not a pressing need but it would be handy to have.

If I get one it seems that the Iphone would do everything I need and is a stunning device. However at this point I am wondering if I should wait for the second incarnation.

I understand that a 3G version possibly can be released later this year. Would it be better to wait or jump in sooner?

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
There's always something "better" and "just around the corner". If you wait for that, you'll wait forever.

Here's what I do: I don't buy anything unless I need it. If I need it, then I buy it and it doesn't matter if a new version comes out later because it doesn't help fulfill my need right now. If I don't need it, I ask myself how pissed I'd be if I didn't wait for the next generation. If the answer is "not very" - then I buy it. If the answer is "very" then I wait for the next gen.

The one good thing about Apple is that they have fairly predictable lengths of time between updates. So if you wait for the 2nd generation and buy that as soon as it comes out, you know you're good for like 9-12 months.

Blu

Screenwriter
I don't really get upset as an early adopter of many video cards as a gamer. That is just the nature of the beast when it comes to technology.

Let me clarify my question a bit more, would a 3G iphone be worth waiting a few months (give or take) over?

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Depends on how much downloading and net browsing you do. 3G is supposed to be significantly faster (how much I don't know, might want to Google it). The main reason I'm waiting is twofold: 3G and more memory. 8GB holds 16% of my songs. 16Gb is better, and at 33% I can pick and choose my faves. 32GB would be better ;) but I doubt the next gen iPhone will have that much.

Also I personally subscribe to the "don't buy 1st gen Apple products" mantra. I've been burned by it. Apple is great, they do cutting edge things, but sometimes that cutting edge ends up with a few bugs that get ironed out by the second rev.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
The only thing a 3G-equipped iPhone will provide over the current incarnation is faster internet connectivity ... when you can't connect via Wi-Fi. If you're going to be around a lot of Wi-Fi hotspots, then 3G connectivity is irrelevant. The current iPhone uses AT&T's EDGE network to get to the internet when the phone is not connected via Wi-Fi. EDGE can be frustratingly slow at times ... and surprisingly competent at others. But it's definitely not a "deal stopper".

IMO, Since you've never owned a cell phone, I think you'll be "blown away" by the iPhone.

Remember, you'll be getting all of the following (and more) in one handy device:

* 2 Megapixel Camera (which I'm using a lot more than I thought I would.)
* Video iPod - With a very nice integrated Widescreen display. The iPod functionality alone on this device is *spectacular*. You can store hundreds of songs, and there are free podcasts available on almost any imaginable topic. Add in the ability to view rented movies at any time anywhere and it's almost mind-boggling. And all of this functionality is an easy sync away via the iTunes software on your computer.
* PDA - Store hundreds of contact numbers, email, and street addresses; keep up with your schedule; maintain notes and "tickler" reminders.
* Email - Send and receive office email, Gmail, Yahoo mail and more.
* Google MAPS - Access the popular Google MAPS right on your phone via a customized-for-the-iPhone interface. The recent 1.1.3 software update even adds a "You are here" button which works via cell phone triangulation.
* Internet Browsing via Safari which comes close to providing a "desktop internet experience".
* Hundreds of Web Apps customized for the iPhone interface. And native application support will be officially coming next month.
* A Phone - Which you can use almost anywhere! (And it integrates nicely with most of the other applications.)
* An innovative Touch Screen Interface so you can easily "tap in" to all of the included inherent power of the phone.

There's really no need to wait!!

Blu

Screenwriter
Well then I should probably wait. I would like it for work since we aren't allowed to use the wifi network or surf the web.
Since it will mainly be used for such times speed would be essential.
I would like to blog from work, I think the picture capability would be a hoot in this regard!
8 gigs of storage isn't a lot but I have a 160 gig ipod so I'm not that concerned about storage as I already have all of my MP3s on that.

My main concern is using it as a web device which appears that it would need to be faster for my usage plans.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
To be objective, other than the large touch screen interface (and depending on finger size and fingernail length, that can be a downside), there are plenty of cell phones out there that can do everything else the iPhone can and at a lower price point.

Blu

Screenwriter
Such as?
I'd be very interested if I could browse the web as realistically as possible and from I've seen the iphone does this the best.

Slingbox support would be great though and I don't see anything about Slingmedia supporting the iphone right now.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
The new iPhone is rumored for Q4.

That's 9 months away.

However, I'd hate to buy the current iPhone knowing that
a better one is due out.

So, if it was me, I would just wait it out. I don't like EDGE
on my phone. The 3G connectivity alone is making me impatient.

Blu

Screenwriter
I believe that is good advice and will wait it out.
I've gone this long without a cell phone, a few more months won't matter:)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
* No other phone does Visual Voicemail.
* No other phone can buy music directly from iTunes
* No other phone does it the way that the iPhone does (if interface didn't matter, we wouldn't buy a Mac.)

Unfortunately, I hear the iPhone still can't do voice dialing. I find it odd that high-end, "smart" phones still can't do voice dialing but all the super-cheap sub-$100 phones have done it for years.

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK

It would be a deal stopper for me. I have an iPhone provided by my employer (ironic, since I can't even get an AT&T signal in my office), but if I was shelling out my own cash for one the frustratingly slow EDGE speeds would keep me from buying. I still use my Sprint Treo 700p--operating at true 3G speeds--for most of my mobile web browsing when I'm not near a Wi-Fi connection. A 3G capable iPhone is a must if I'm going to ditch the Treo.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Well, you are the original pimp, Chris!

Congrats on your purchase! Plays very nicely with your Mac.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
I love my iPhone. I have a few minor issues with it (no synching of "notes" in Tiger, no scientific calculator). This is a great little device.

CJ

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Basically, I think the phone is its weakest asset.

Don't like this phone at all. Horrible voice quality.

I also seem to be constantly calling the first person on my
contact list by accident. With the iPhone in its belt holster
turned on, somehow when it is moved it just dials out.

The iPhone is great device for music, contacts and appointments --
however it stinks as a phone!

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member

Ron,

I wonder if this has something to do with the service in your area.

I consider my iPhone to be a great phone. In fact, it's the first cell phone that I've owned that I use almost exclusively for voice communications.

Prior to the iPhone, if I were at home or at my desk I would use the "regular land phones". Most of the time my iPhone has just about the same voice quality as my "regular phones"; and is, of course, much more convenient to use. In fact, for the first time in my life I'm actually considering getting rid of our "regular phone" service at home.

As for the "accidental dialings" that you're experiencing, I just don't understand how that's possible. As I'm sure you know, one touch of the "sleep/wake" button disables the "touch" screen while keeping the iPhone in "standby" mode. Even if you have the iPhone sitting on your "Favorites" and the case accidently depresses the "sleep/wake" button, you still have to drag the "slider" to reactivate the "touch screen". So it's really odd that you're having that problem!

Anyway, all I can say is that I *love* my iPhone and consider it the best "first generation" gadget device ever made!! (And it's kind of "mind boggling" to think that it's only going to get better from here!)

Bob_Chase

Stunt Coordinator
Joe,

My experience with the iPhone is on par with yours. It is far and away the best cell phone I've ever used. Plus all of the other features are certainly in the running for best in class.

I had originally planned to wait for the 3G version but my wife beat me to the punch and surprised me at Christmas this year, and boy am I glad she did.

We've been without a land line for 5 years now and use our cell phones exclusively. My ATT cell service has been reliable in all places except for my home. I would have to go outside so as not to drop a call. Even when I was outside I would occasionally drop. This was another reason for my hesitation.

With the iPhone I have not had a single dropped call in the month that I've been using it. And I noticed when the phone is charging the signal strength is full-on. I've NEVER had that kind of quality on any cell phone EVER.

As far as the EDGE network, sure it can be a little slow, but it is certainly better than what I was expecting.

As far as the user experience, it's an Apple product through and through. Stuff just works as you would expect it to. My Moto Razr is a torture device compared to this thing.

On the downside, I am now ruined. Any other phone that I use from here on out must be an iPhone.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

I should let our Moderator, Adam Gregorich chime in here as
he'll be the first to tell you how many times I have accidentally
called him.

Perhaps the problem is that I'm not pressing the black HOME
button before putting the phone back in my holster.

Chris Maynard

Supporting Actor

Well duh!!! Change your sort on your contacts to be last name, first name and then Adam will not get the calls but whomever has the last name beginning with an "A".

Adam - You can thank me anytime. :emoji_thumbsup:

Ron - The phone quality on mine is actually very good. Not perfect, but very good.

BTW: Flying to NYC tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks