What's new

iPhone ringtones (1 Viewer)

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
so I took the plunge and bought an iPhone. So far so good, but I have a question about ringtones.

iTunes will allow me to buy ringtones made from songs, and I've found some directions at various online resources of how I could make song-clips into ringtones on my own (haven't tried yet)

But what if I don't want a song? What if I want to use a .wav file of my child laughing? Or a .au file? What if I don't want to make it myself because of lazyness, time and/or tech savvy. What if I want to download or buy a ringtone that is not a song - like a tricorder sound or R2D2 tweeps? Can that even be found? I've tried searching and all I find is spam and music ringtones.

I'd rather not go through a complex process of exporting and converting files. I especially don't want to spend $25-$50 for software just to make a handful of ringtones. I just want to buy some fun ringtones. I'm getting very frustrated. Do you have any ideas?

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
To make a ringtone from any mp3 and/or wav clip:

1. Drop or drag the mp3/wav file into your iTunes Library.

2. Right-click on it and turn it into a AAC.

3. Delete the file from your Library (but not from the disc.)

4. Locate the file and rename it to a .m4r extension.

5. Add the file back to the Library.

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
I found a program which allows me to convert file types for free.

Thanks

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric

Nice, but what about ringtones that are not songs? Is there someplace where I could find a lightning bolt, fart, dolphin, trumpet fanfare or other sounds which are not songs per se?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.

that looks to be pc not mac, i know this is an iphone topic but it's in the apple
forum area.
is there something like this for mac?

ErichH

Screenwriter

google sounds?

I hate song ringtones. Gather sounds from any source and use something to edit length, etc. iMovie if you have to, but look for freeware sound edit apps at versiontracker.com.

As for pre made mp3,wav, aif....?

All the farts you can stand at farts.com but I could never get the proper LF to make them sound good on a phone ;)

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
I tried to google ringtones and found nothing but spam sites trying to trick me into sharing my phone number.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
No one has mentioned the Apple approved method for free ringtone creation: Using Garage Band (which does come free with your Mac...)

I tried, it, it works great, and of course it allows you to select whichever portion of the song you want, or edit different pieces together, etc. It's a fun, powerful tool. (You can use anything that's DRM free from your iTunes library)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
ted it's funny (to me) that you mention it.
a few days ago i tried that but i cannot figure out how to use GB to do anything let alone make ring tones.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
ok i just went over to apple support.

"With GarageBand 4.1.1 you can export your original song, your original audio recordings, or use Apple Loops and iLife jingles to create a custom ringtone for your iPhone.

i only have 3.0, so i guess i can't do it.

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
I've seen garage band - but I don't get it... It looks like a sequencer/multi track recorder, but it seems only to utilize the MAC instruments, not the instruments on your keyboard...

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
well i was ale to come across an ilife '08 and the garageand on there is easy
to use to make ringtones.

you can make 40sec tones instead of the 30sec ones you do in itunes that you have to pay for.

btw gb just had an update to 4.1.2

wsblackcat

Auditioning
Real Name
ws
i'm sorry,i'm a spamer,but i'm a special spamer!
i think you can you use the Garageband,it is free,it powerful but may be you have to take lots of time to learn how to use the software!
but if you don't want to waste too much time on that thing,i recommend you should try the iskysoft iPhone Ringtone maker,it is easy to the user,it support various video and audio formats,support trim function,but it is not free stuff!
your can find them on the apple.com both!
Money and Time,which do you want to save,you can choose!

wsblackcat

Auditioning
Real Name
ws
i'm sorry,i'm a spamer,but i'm a special spamer!
i think you can you use the Garageband,it is free,it powerful but may be you have to take lots of time to learn how to use the software!
but if you don't want to waste too much time on that thing,i recommend you should try the iskysoft iPhone Ringtone maker,it is easy to the user,it support various video and audio formats,support trim function,but it is not free stuff!
your can find them on the apple.com both!
Money and Time,which do you want to save,you can choose!

Users who are viewing this thread