What's new

iPhone glass protection. Do they work? (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
So my iPhone 6 fell out of my shirt pocket the other day and the glass cracked.

About a month ago, my wife dropped her phone and practically shattered the glass.

full

Both phones were taken to my local Apple Store. Each was repaired for $109 + tax (in a two hour window).

No real complaints about any of this as my family has gone YEARS without any such problems.

But with the two incidents coming back-to-back I am having a ton of people tell me that I should buy some type of screen protection--such as Z Glass--to help prevent glass breakage.

Do these various clear plastic screen films actually provide protection?

Last edited:

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I have found that those plastic sheets do nothing but make the touch screen harder to push.
What has really worked for me is the rubberized case that my iPhone pops into. I don't want to jinks it now, but I have had my phone drop a number of times -- sometimes with a loud bang, and the glass has never broken. The case protects the back, but also has a bit of a ridge around the front so even face down it does not touch the surface.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I have found that those plastic sheets do nothing but make the touch screen harder to push.

Thanks, Terry.

Yeah, we both have cases on our phones. And I think they have done a pretty good job at keeping our screens/phones safe. It's just a strange coincidence that we both cracked our screen about a month apart after years of unbroken glass.

The other things those cases do is protect the lens of the camera (which protrudes from the back of the iPhone case). You really need that bit of thickness to keep the lens from getting scratched every time you lay the phone on a surface.

I'm just curious about people's experiences with those display protectors.

larrdog

Stunt Coordinator
I use the rubber case around mine and a zagg glass screen protector. Dropped mine last month and it cracked the screen protector, I thought it was my screen. So just pulled off old put on new. First time that's ever happened, Glad I had it on there. Zagg offers free replacements too just 6.00 shipping.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Its not an ipod but I've had a Screenguardz on my Note 5 for over a year and all its suffered is some light scratching.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I use the rubber case around mine and a zagg glass screen protector. Dropped mine last month and it cracked the screen protector, I thought it was my screen. So just pulled off old put on new. First time that's ever happened, Glad I had it on there. Zagg offers free replacements too just 6.00 shipping.
This is what I do.

$40 for a good protector and $6 if it cracks.

Well worth it.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
My friend has an iPhone 6 that had a cracked (glass) screen protector that cost him $45.

A few weeks ago we were browsing around in a Dollar Store in Derby, CT. Believe it or not, they had glass screen protectors for the iPhone 6 for $1.

I removed the cracked one and replaced it with the $1. Dollar Store one. Fit perfectly. Still can't believe it. What a deal!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Huh.

So, in your friend's case, the glass protector really did the job and saved his screen. Much like larrdog's story above.

I think I should really give these a serious look. I haven't taken any action yet.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
An update of sorts.

My son gave my wife and I each screen protectors for Christmas (after the above disasters!). Specifically, these:

71z7PJTTdDL._SL1500_.jpg

But, unfortunately, I never took the bull by the horns and actually installed them. I guess that's an important part of the process.

And, you guessed it! My wife dropped her phone again the other day and shattered the glass...again. Another repair at the Apple store. The price has also gone up (to $129, I think).

So the protectors are now assuredly installed on both our phones and I will report back with any further updates--as events warrant.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
An update of sorts.

My son gave my wife and I each screen protectors for Christmas (after the above disasters!). Specifically, these:

71z7PJTTdDL._SL1500_.jpg

But, unfortunately, I never took the bull by the horns and actually installed them. I guess that's an important part of the process.

And, you guessed it! My wife dropped her phone again the other day and shattered the glass...again. Another repair at the Apple store. The price has also gone up (to $129, I think).

So the protectors are now assuredly installed on both our phones and I will report back with any further updates--as events warrant.
What are your floors made of? We have carpet and tile (not ceramic) and although I have dropped my
phone multiple times it never has broken.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I forget where she dropped it the first time. But the second time was on a hard floor at the mall (the same mall which contains our local Apple store!). She drops it ALL the time (sometimes even outside on pavement). She's forever holding it in her hand--not unlike a 16-year old girl!

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
My wife took her leather iPod cover to a local shoe maker, and had wrist strap put on it. It is one of those large ones that are easy to drop. She has not dropped it since.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
THAT'S interesting. My wife even talked about "why don't they have wrist straps?" after she broke her 2nd screen.

To me, that would just be a major PITA.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Hey Clint! Showed her last night and she is 100% on board. All she can say is that "if I'd had one of those before, we'd have saved $200!" In fact, when she was one of the many images on the site which displays the product, she said, "that's just how I hold the phone when it slips out of my hand!"

If I don't find something cheaper, I might be ordering one of those very straps from that page. Tomorrow IS her birthday, after all!
feiertag-smiley-007.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks